Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Need some help with jelly. Did it once before and things turned out great. Cannot find the recipe I used.

Have a bunch of wild grapes I picked today. Seem to be concords gone wild as there are bigger than any others I have found and rather sweet. They are on average about nickle size.

Anyways I am lazy right now so want to juice them. Freeze the juice jelly later. Recipes I have found are straight forward five cups juice seven cups sugar pack of sure jel.

The sticking point is making the juice. Cannot find any set amount of water to grapes to use to cook the grapes down.

Just need a simple X cups water to X cups of grapes to get things going.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
mike7mm08- Don't add water. You just use the juice or you will end up with pancake and waffle syrup. Add a bit more(about 1/3cup) juice to the pan to heat so if it reduces you have enough. Also don't short the sugar or you will also get syrup. I add a 1/4 more surejell than their recipe calls for so I get jelly and jam that doesn't drip off the bread.- Mike

Last edited by fink65; 10/04/15.

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I recall the recipe I used called for some water. Also all the online recipes call for some water. Just afraid if I cook the grapes for ten to fifteen minutes to help break them down I might get the juice too concentrated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fink65
mike7mm08- Don't add water. You just use the juice or you will end up with pancake and waffle syrup. Add a bit more(about 1/3cup) juice to the pan to heat so if it reduces you have enough. Also don't short the sugar or you will also get syrup. I add a 1/4 more surejell than their recipe calls for so I get jelly and jam that doesn't drip off the bread.- Mike

I have never added water when boiling down fruit for jelly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add me to the list saying don't add water. If you believe you need more liquid before you start to cook down your grapes just use a potato masher to squish them up a little in the pot before starting.

You can add just a touch of distilled water to make out a cooking if you have to. Better to use just a bit of Welches grape juice though.

Follow the sure jell recipe EXACTLY and you'll make good jelly.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have used just a bit of water when boiling grapes to get the juice out. Something like 1/2 cup to several cups of grapes. Always figured it pretty much evaporated while I simmered the grapes, and it made good jelly in the end. Got a bunch of juice from this year's crop in the freezer, a little rainy day project once the winter weather sets in!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
helps a lot to have a good thermometer. Temp has to be just right, for it to work.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Mike- I think these guys are giving you very good advice. I would use a collander and mash the grapes down and strain the juice out first. A potato masher works also if you don't have the funnel shaped strainer.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've made jelly a grand total of twice.

This year I made 30 pints of blackberry and 20 pints of raspberry. With both I added a few cups of water to the pot when I was starting the cooking process. Just felt like I should??? After juicing then, when I needed a couple cups to make the recipe come out, I just added some store bought grape juice. Grandma always added apple juice. With wild grapes shed cut the juice with apple juice to make it go farther. Said the wild grapes were strong enough to not need pure juice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.