24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got it in my head that i'd like to head out west in the next year for a spot and stalk bear hunt. Im planning to drive wherever I go, because i dont like the idea of dealing with TSA commies at ohare, or in milwaukee (im in on the illinois/wisconsin state line directly n the middle of the state). Im planning on a rifle hunt, and would like a reasonable opportunity at taking a trophy animal, Def needs to be an OTC tag as well. Thanks in advance.

Adam

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Define trophy

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
something that will make a nice rug :-D I dont want to shoot a 2-3 yr old bear, id like to hunt an area that holds a few mature animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho and MT both have OTC tags for bears. I gave it a try in MT this year and brought the tag home with me. The one piece of advice I can give, is be flexible as to the dates if possible. I went was is normally a bit early for the area as per a local, but this year it was a bit too late. Green up was a couple of weeks ahead of 'normal' and that changed the bears locations.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
pointer, did you drive out, or did you do a fly out trip? if you drove, what was your driving schedule, how many days, did you sleep in the truck, motels etc? were in the same general area of the midwest.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
May want to look going up North? Maybe Minnesota or jump over the border to Canada. Not sure on tag draw for Minnesota but thinking about doing a trip there for me?

Last edited by Esox357; 10/07/15.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
those are both hard areas to do spot and stalk in, mostly bait hunting I believe. I could kill bear over bait in Wisconsin at our family property, but that doesnt really appeal to me, glassing and stalking in big country with pretty scenery does.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by acooper1983
pointer, did you drive out, or did you do a fly out trip? if you drove, what was your driving schedule, how many days, did you sleep in the truck, motels etc? were in the same general area of the midwest.
I drove as I went with another Hoosier. We split the drive into 2.5 days, using motels for the nights. We had all the gear to setup a camp on public land, but the local who was helped us let us use his camp trailer. I'm heading West on Sunday for a hunt and will be driving. I plan on breaking up the drive over two days there and back. I'll be camping on this trip.

FWIW, Idaho allows the use of bait and/or hounds. Montana is all spot and stack IIRC.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Acooper1983: Consider Montana, as with one Bear tag you can drive out in the spring and maybe do some fishing and shed antler Hunting at the same time as your Spring Bear Hunting.
If NOT successful in the spring then take that same Bear tag and drive out again in the fall and enjoy our beautiful fall Bear season.
As you are driving to Montana from the midwest maybe you would want to buy a Montana Turkey tag and as you are driving through eastern Montana maybe you could harvest a Wild Turkey thereabouts?
Those tags aren't to expensive for non-residents.
Best of luck to you wherever you go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks a lot Pointer, and VG. That is very interesting to know about the Tag being able to be used both spring, and fall!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hire a decent guide. He'll have horses, and the local knowledge of where the bears are when they emerge in the spring.

When horseback hunting, wear appropriate boots. I nearly flubbed my shot due to inability to get my 16EE Red Wings out of the stirrup.
Guide and my brother were laughing their asses off. The horse seemed less amused.

The guide will also keep you straight on this, but learn to differentiate between black and grizzly bears.
It CAN BE difficult.
FWP (and the feds) is not reputed to be forgiving on this issue...

Last edited by johnw; 10/07/15.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.