Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I got a tire mounted and balanced and a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights.
The guys over at Cast Boolits say a 5gal bucket of wheel weights is about 100lbs. I'll figure I'll lose 25lbs to steel clips, zinc weights and other trash. 75lbs x 7000 grains per pound is 525000 grains. Figure 260 grains for my heaviest bullet. Divide 525000 by 260 and get 2019 bullets.
that's a pretty good deal for a six pack of Bud Lite!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Last edited by stxhunter; 10/06/15.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, at least you didn't have to trade off some real beer. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you cast round balls, get acquainted with some roofers. When they tear a roof off of a flat building, the drains are usually lined with pure lead that normally ends up in a dumpster. A typical drain will have 10 to 20lb of lead. A few cartons of that Bud could get you a lifetime supply.
It'll be stuck to asphalt so it needs to be melted outside because it's going to smoke like crazy burning it off.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE!!!

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good job! I have a friend who gets me wheel weights from their shop. In this day and age, all shooters should get set up to cast bullets.

BTW, wheel weights generally are a good enough alloy to cast and shoot as is for smokeless powder cartridges. Getting flashing, battery lead, etc. will be black powder stuff.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 10/06/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Well, at least you didn't have to trade off some real beer. grin

My thoughts exactly, get rid of crappy beer and get something useful.

BTW a full 5 gal pail will yield over 100#'s of ingots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
The guys over at Cast Boolits say a 5gal bucket of wheel weights is about 100lbs. I'll figure I'll lose 25lbs to steel clips, zinc weights and other trash. 75lbs x 7000 grains per pound is 525000 grains. Figure 260 grains for my heaviest bullet. Divide 525000 by 260 and get 2019 bullets.

Heckuva score.

FWIW, I've weighed a few buckets of WW's and a 5 gallon bucket filled level with the mouth usually runs 135 on my game scale.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just rely on the paint chips I ate as a kid.

But sriously.
Plumbers and roofers and tire changers have HUGE stashes of good quality lead.

Not that I would know...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The bucket weight seems light to me. I had a buddy who owned an alignment/tire store, and he often gave me buckets that went nearly 150 lbs. I could cast a LOT of .45 bullets with one bucket, or 9mm/125s, and you could stretch the numbers even more.

Charlie gave me some of those wheelweights, but I did buy tires from him now and then. We were also co-founders of a pistol club, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, that IS light, and can likely be attributed to the ZINC weights that are in use now.

Controlling the smelting temperature of your initial "salvage" melt has never been more important,...and given that it's done outdoors, I'm as guilty as the next guy in tending towards running HOT.

Here's a good excerpt from a well written treatise on wheelweights:
Zinc on the other hand is a nasty customer to have in your lead pot. Should zinc reach a critical level in your lead alloy, much the same as
aluminium, the bullets will not form at all well due to the surface tension created by the contaminate. The only options are the discard the metal or
risk adding additional β€œgood” alloy to try and dilute the zinc down to a degree that has no effect. I suspect I have had this in the past with a batch
of alloy that would not cast well and managed to dilute the alloy down with good results however it is always a gamble to β€œthrow good alloy after
bad”. One way to prevent zinc contaminating your lead alloy other than sorting is the control the temperature of your β€˜melt’. Wheel weight is
molten at 505F, pure lead at 621F and zinc at 787F. By keeping the alloy temperature in the wheel weight/lead range the zinc will not melt into
the alloy but instead float to the surface on fluxing presenting itself for skimming off.

Good refresher, I enjoyed re-reading it.
Link: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/GeneralReference/Whats%20with%20wheel%20weights.pdf

There's all SORTS of weird materials turning up in wheel weights now,....work carefully, and STAY UPWIND.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- β€œSometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't weighted a bucket so I don't know what the actual weight would come out to. I DO know that it was darn heavy getting it out of the truck.

My neighbor used to own a tire shop in Jackson and I got a couple of buckets from him before he went out of business. I can cast an awful lot of bullets. I just need time to go shoot them after they're cast.

Stupidity is expensive
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

You did good.

I gave away 6 5 gallon buckets of wheelweights to a buddy when I got divorced and the ex was bitchin' about them being in the garage.

Tell ya what,...knock the bullets out in 5 gallon bucket about half filled with water. Learn to time it so you're knocking them out when they're barely solidified enough to hold their form. After 24 hours they'll do about 18 BNH and can be driven pretty fast.

You'll notice if you measure them that straight wheelweight alloy sizes up just a bit less that alloy with 2% tin added. In RCBS and Lyman molds they'll fall from the mold right on size.

If you run them through a sizing die that rubs them down, you'll soften to outer surface of them and they'll lead the barrel at lower velocities.

Use a sizing die .001" larger than the diameter of the bullet to put the lube in the grooves and quench cast wheelweight bullets will work very well.

One other thing,...you'll need to peck the alighment pins in the Lyman molds through until they're sticking out about .005" farther in order to get the mold halves to line up properly.

Do that and Lyman molds will produce very round bullets.

If you don't, you'll find that the sizing die will rub a bit on one side and a bit on the other,..even if the die is .001" oversize.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
After he gave you all that you didn't even buy him some beer?

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I asked what I owed him. He stated, "why don't you just drop by a six pack of beer" I said what flavor? He said " Bud lite"

Who am I to argue?

Bristoe,
I'm loading my 45colt with 19gr of 2400 under that 260. I don't know how fast it's going but it's pretty stout.
I'm loading a 158gr lwsc out of my 357 with 8gr of green dot. It's cooking right along as well.
Neither leads the barrel. I'm using bens red lube. It works like a champ even in rifle loads so I'm told.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?269207-Making-Ben-s-Red

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 10/06/15.

Stupidity is expensive
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have read that if you water quench the bullet, it will loose that hardness over time. I have no way of proving that. Great when done though.

If you take a white piece of paper and try to draw a line on it with the wheel weight, zinc won't make a mark, lead will.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 10/06/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I usually just drop them on the concrete. If it thuds its lead. If it clinks, it isn't.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use wire cutters or dykes to sort lead from others. The wire cutter will easily dig into a lead WW, but not into zinc or steel ones.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.