-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry... but it is what it is. New Mexico,or Montana,.... it's the same deal. The habitat they prefer is rolling plains, which is NOT scenic.

It started a couple months ago when Don called and said that our "old" Mule Deer hunting bunch wanted to get together at least one more time. The ranch we hunted for years, down near the River had sold three years ago and we haven't found a new one.

One of the guys found this 25k acre ranch in N.M. where we could have a three day Antelope Hunt for the core bunch of eight hunters. It consists of two Families with me being counted as part of one of them, [been THAT way for years].

Don said he wasn't going to take "a bunch of stuff"... just a rifle, bino,cot, and sleeping bag. The three in our "family" would sleep in one of his trailers. So.... loaded up the essentials and headed to his place, just East of Hobbs.

And found this:

[Linked Image]

Of course, I had "cheated" a bit as well and only had room in my pickup for ONE of his two 2 Volt Refrigerator/Freezers:

[Linked Image]

Actually, when we arrived, the Rancher said we could stay in an old house which had electricity, but no water. But among the items Don had happened to be 300 feet of bulk 1 inch garden type hose with appropriate fittings, so we got water into the house from a nearby water trough and had all the comforts of home:

[Linked Image]

Once I had committed to the hunt, I found that one of Peggy's Nephews, who is a N.M.State Trooper in Capitan, had scheduled his wedding on our opening day. So I only hunted a short while that Sat morning and made the 125 mile trip for the 3 PM wedding ceremony.

I made it back to the ranch with an hour or so of shooting light left, so instead of going to camp, I took off "hunting". I drove about three miles on ranch roads with the sun blinding me on my right side and right front.

Now... finding antelope is not a problem. Finding one that is a tad better than the rest, and that you can get a shot at is the challenge. I saw four does off to my left with no place for a buck to be hidden, so I kept driving in the same direction, more or less.

Then I saw three does off to my left on a slope about 350 yards out. The draw between us was deep enough to hide a buck, so I killed my pickup engine and put a bull bag on the hood.It wasn't long until they got nervous and moved away, going up the slope.

Sure enough, two bucks came up out of the draw to follow them. I'm not much of a judge of antelope horns, but one was a good deal bigger and better than the other, and both stopped about 325-350 yards out.

I keep the Swaro AV scope on my 270 Wby set on 7 power while hunting, so I pushed the trigger forward to "set" it at 2 oz. and put my finger inside the trigger guard but pushed against the front while I decided whether to take him or not.

I really don't recall making the decision to shoot, but it went off and the 130 gr, XXX, pushed by some IMR 7828 dropped him in his tracks.

[Linked Image]

It turns out that he was pretty good for the area. With my back still acting up, I field dressed him and called Don to come help me load him.

Then I found that he had killed a pretty good one that morning at 600 of his brother's long paces, using his 25 06 and Win Failsafe factory ammo. It had not yet started raining and his brother could see his first bullets hitting high and he adjusted accordingly and killed him with the first hit.

[Linked Image]

It set in raining Sat nite and continued Sun morning, but we found a buck that Brother killed with one shot at about 150 yards with his 25 06. One of our bunch is a B&C scorer and he judged this last one to be right at 80 inches. We didn't get him to score the others since this last one was the best of the eight which were killed.

Being tagged out, and with coyotes the only legal thing we could hunt, we loaded up and came home.

Not much of a story, but one I promised to post.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well done curdog. You got a nice bunch of goats for sure. I enjoyed your story and pic. Congrats, and looks like lots of fun to me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
SOunds like a good time for sure, and a wedding to boot in the middle. Not a bad run!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Sorry... but it is what it is. New Mexico,or Montana,.... it's the same deal. The habitat they prefer is rolling plains, which is NOT scenic.
Er, you are kidding, aren't you? This bunch is at about 9k. The 2d pic is a longer shot at them (they're in the green just below the saddle). The 3d pic is a rockpile just to the left of them at sunrise that morning. I really hate this rolling, non-scenic antelope country. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good bucks cur dog, the one you shot looks to have some good bases.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 10/06/15.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good story and good shootin'. I have always wanted to do a 'lope hunt. One day I suppose..........

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice 'lopes.

I moved here partly for the game. One of my longtime hunting buddies retired to Albuquerque, and when I decided to move back to the US, he helped me decide where to be.

We even have mule deer and whitetails down our street, plus wild turkeys, though the neighborhood is way too congested to hunt right here. An hour or two in any direction is a different story though.

Some of our guys are going back down near Quemado for elk soon.

Last edited by Anjin; 10/06/15.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should have made it clear, I reckon, that I was comparing MY antelope hunt in S.E. Montana with this one in N.M.

And the ones I see in Texas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats Gene! looks like a fine time!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Canjar set trigger on a Ruger #1? If so I used to have one nearly like it, let my brother talk me out of it. Nice buck Gene...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got a kick out of the "bare essentials" pic too!!! grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's something I need to do one of these days. I always see a bunch of them north of Roswell when I head down that way, but can't say I've ever caught sight of them around Hobbs.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very good, sounds like a nice hunt.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats Gene. Those are nice looking goats.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
That's something I need to do one of these days. I always see a bunch of them north of Roswell when I head down that way, but can't say I've ever caught sight of them around Hobbs.

Don LIVES near Hobbs. We hunted West of Encino.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the story Gene. Looks like you had a pretty good hunt.
Does the rancher have a bighorn skull hanging from his gate??

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
[Don LIVES near Hobbs. We hunted West of Encino.

Ah...my reading comprehension must have been el-crapo earlier today. grin

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting the story and photos. Good stuff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good story and pics Curdog. I got a nice on a lot of years ago over by Magdalena. Lots more Antelope now than then. Congrats on a nice lope.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.