Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I keep threatening to build an AR, ain't done it yet, but hell may as well start now.

I know its been asked before, but who makes a solid lower to build on? Are "all" of them good now? Billet or forged make a difference? Anyone to stay away from?

Looking to build a play and hunting rifle.

WTF is Bluedreaux? He still around here?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
MM, I build on the cheapest forged aluminium stripped lower with forward assist I can find. Anderson, Delton, DTI, ect.

Never had an issue with any of them.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cheapest lower I could find many moons ago, and the upper shot knots... meaning 10 shot groups at 300 yards on the order of 1-2 inches regular...

Lowers don't much matter. The barrel is the most important and how its set up IMHO. A few other things matter, but they are assembly things rather than parts issues... mostly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I prefer Aero Precision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as it's not polymer I'd just get whatever rollmark I could stand. I'm not one for bling, but I am opposed to having some hideous pirate-ninja-skull or whatever on the side of my gun.

Given the option, I much prefer an integral trigger guard. I've got two like that now, one billet and one forged. If I could find out who made the forged I'd order several of them. I don't know that the little forged "wings" or trigger guard would every break on a normal lower, but for whatever reason that's just something that I'm hung up on. We've all got our quirks I guess.

I've been around, shooting some matches that took up a lot of time, traveling with the family, new job and schedule. Busy time of year.

Mostly lurking on here. Trying to only post when I have something of value that really needs to be said....Evidently that's not very often, lol.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 10/05/15.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Plenty of options. From about $40 up to hundreds. It seems like all of them work well nowadays with maybe a couple of exceptions. I'd stick with metal, though.

Aero makes one fully ambidextrous version if that appeals to you:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-ambidextrous-lower.html

Retired cat herder.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just had a lower built on an Anderson frame, so far so good.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Anderson..... Just as good as any lower, out there...I have built lots of rifles on Anderson lowers....I also like Stag and Spikes..Just ordered a Spikes Crusader to try something different.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Who is Anderson? How long have they been in business? How many is "lots"?

I ask because I've been around for awhile and just started hearing about them in the last year when they started selling cheap lowers. I've seen plenty of problems with brand name lowers and just won't bet the farm on a new guy selling at rock bottom prices.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Look it up...They have been in business for 50 years...I do not no How long they have been making AR parts and rifles and do not care.....They work for me and are Cerro forgings...My local Dealer is a a Friend of mine and Has sold Thousands of Anderson lowers, Has never had a complaint or one returned. He sold over 200 last week. and sold out Friday..Get them while you can Boys. grin

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 10/06/15.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anderson Rifles

I've seen their stuff, never owned any. Seems to be pretty decent.

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
who makes Spike's tactical lowers? They seem to be decent lowers. ..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
40 bucks for lowers... buy 20 man... if one breaks its less than a fillup...

Folks make this way to complicated IMHO..

And to think I was going to buy a SS lower once upon a time..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Spikes in Apopka Fla....Most are Cerro Forge and Machined by LAR.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My local dealer said lowers were selling like 99cent Big Macks last Friday and Saturday... We might be able to buy some 22 Now that the Hoarders will be buying Lowers instead of 22.

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 10/06/15.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just want my damn cci subsonic prefrag that shoots so good in my 10-22 with can..... Just want a few bricks to case and I'm set for life on that one ammo...

I've got 22 ammo for just pissin away.... lol.

Why can't they just make a run of the stuff that I need. LOL.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Given the option, I much prefer an integral trigger guard. I've got two like that now, one billet and one forged. If I could find out who made the forged I'd order several of them.

My forged lower with integral trigger guard was made by Anderson. Bought it from PSA a few years ago.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
My local dealer said lowers were selling like 99cent Big Macks last Friday and Saturday... We might be able to buy some 22 Now that the Hoarders will be buying Lowers instead of 22.

Yep you would think with all this gun violence that gun sales would be down, odd that it has the opposite effect isn't it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Given the option, I much prefer an integral trigger guard. I've got two like that now, one billet and one forged. If I could find out who made the forged I'd order several of them.

For Blue................

Aanderson Lower with closed / integral triggerguard

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
and that is a good price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.