Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[quote=warpig602]

they'll declare them to no longer be a "brace" and just label them a buttstock. I'm sure they're working with their legal department right now to try to define what constitutes a stock vs. what's a spring tube vs. what's a "brace" (if they even allow a brace anymore).

1. Im not sure how a brace, already declared brace, because it braces the gun, can become a stock overnight, unless it was designed to be fired form the shoulder, which a brace is not.

2. I'll get some popcorn for the ensuing discrimination lawsuit from disabled people all over the country.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by warpig602

2. I'll get some popcorn for the ensuing discrimination lawsuit from disabled people all over the country.
My thought exactly. You beat me to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=warpig602]

they'll declare them to no longer be a "brace" and just label them a buttstock. I'm sure they're working with their legal department right now to try to define what constitutes a stock vs. what's a spring tube vs. what's a "brace" (if they even allow a brace anymore).

1. Im not sure how a brace, already declared brace, because it braces the gun, can become a stock overnight, unless it was designed to be fired form the shoulder, which a brace is not.

Well then you're not familiar with how many times the BATFE has reversed their rulings on things at a whim.

Rarely does the AFT call it a "change" but rather a "clarification". But I have seen where neither word was used and you were just told your previously legal weapon is now an NFA item.

Here's a couple of things on the issue
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/foghorn/atf-change-minds-brace-people-kept-sending-letters/

http://guns.buzz/2015/01/17/atf-rev...s-making-thousands-of-gun-owners-felons/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Well good luck with that suit, I'm sure you can follow it closely from your cell, or while out on bail.

Read the links I provided.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Well good luck with that suit, I'm sure you can follow it closely from your cell, or while out on bail.

How many arrests have there been for safely using unaltered firearms at the range ... firearms unaltered from factory distribution and lawful retail sale, as a result of an ATF alteration in interpretation of law?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How many arrests have there been for safely using unaltered firearms at the range ... firearms unaltered from factory distribution and lawful retail sale, as a result of an ATF alteration in interpretation of law?
I don't know, but if they change their ruling and you do get arrested, they won't ask if you used safely and unaltered. I personally wouldn't want to risk anything to likelihood.

Generally when ATF reverses one of their positions, an arrest follows. There have men makers of 80% receivers where ATF changed their position and then made an arrest.

I wouldn't leave anything to trusting ATF to be reasonable about something.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I don't know ...
That would seem a key question to answer before prattling on further. It's possible I could be struck down by lightning as soon as I walk out my front door, but I take that chance every day. Governments commit tyrannical and lawless acts all the time, but I don't live my life in constant anticipation of it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gotta be totally honest here, but please keep in mind I live in America and most people do not...

I have probably seen at least 5 different pistol/Sig braced AR's at our local range. Everybody shooting them like rifles. Nobody GAFF.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Same here. Even if someone did, prove it was on my shoulder and not a 1/4in off. Find a LEO that cares and a DA that will prosecute a NOT law. I play the game as to not be a guinea pig but the ATFs opinion would stop me from using it how I see fit if the need should arise.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One last point if I may. This is only an observation.

The percentage of LE personnel that I have met, that have a working knowledge of the NFA is right around ZERO.

The number of ATF Agents I have encountered in the field, in town, etc. is exactly ZERO. I own suppressors and they are used almost daily. I have never, once, ever been concerned about being checked or questioned about them. They're legally purchased items, I know they're legally purchased items, anybody I associate (wife, good friends) with is on my trust, so they can legally possess them, and I never give them a second thought. Ever.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Same here. Even if someone did, prove it was on my shoulder and not a 1/4in off. Find a LEO that cares and a DA that will prosecute a NOT law. I play the game as to not be a guinea pig but the ATFs opinion would stop me from using it how I see fit if the need should arise.
I assume you meant to say the ATF's opinion wouldn't stop you from using it how you see fit should the need arise.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Indeed, my brain works faster than my hand it appears.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I can't say how it would be interpreted by the NFA. But I know of one instance where the ATF didn't play by the rules.

A fellow I know of on another forum built a semi-auto FN FAL. The trigger group was malfunctioning and it would occasionally double or triple.

ATF officer at the range arrested him for having an unlicensed machine gun even though it was plainly obvious that it contained none of the full auto parts and that the receiver wasn't machined to accept them.

A big attorney fee got him out of it after a day in court. But he got put through a significant process.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Doesnt really matter if it had full auto parts in it. What matters is if its capable of doing it. Not saying the dude should have been arrested but he should've stopped firing it until it was fixed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I can't say how it would be interpreted by the NFA. But I know of one instance where the ATF didn't play by the rules.

A fellow I know of on another forum built a semi-auto FN FAL. The trigger group was malfunctioning and it would occasionally double or triple.

ATF officer at the range arrested him for having an unlicensed machine gun even though it was plainly obvious that it contained none of the full auto parts and that the receiver wasn't machined to accept them.

A big attorney fee got him out of it after a day in court. But he got put through a significant process.
That's actually happened several times. There was a guy in Sacramento who took his AR out for the first time. Brand new, unfired rifle. Shot it a few times and it kept doubling. There was an ATF agent at the range at the time and he was arrested. I never heard how it all shook down, but I do know he had to at least pay for a lawyer.

Ya'll can do as you please.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Ya'll can do as you please.
Apples and oranges. There's actually clear legislation against the possession of a full auto firearm absent a tax stamp. Absence of intent is a defense, but that's for the judge or jury to decide. The case of firearms that are ATF-Classified as handguns, unaltered from original factory and retail-sale condition, are an entirely different matter. There is no legal precedent for such a classification being altered by anything to do with the method chosen for firing it, absent any physical alteration of the firearm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the latest "clarification" by the ATF stated the words "used as intended" and specifically stated that if altered from its original intentions and fired from the shoulder becomes illegal as its now a defacto SBR.

I doubt anyone who observes you firing the gun will care but i wouldnt be posting pics so a rat can turn me in either.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I believe the latest "clarification" by the ATF stated the words "used as intended" and specifically stated that if altered from its original intentions and fired from the shoulder becomes illegal as its now a defacto SBR.

I doubt anyone who observes you firing the gun will care but i wouldnt be posting pics so a rat can turn me in either.
If I use my fountain pen to perform an emergency tracheotomy on a choking restaurant patron, does my pen become medical equipment subject to Federal regulations on surgical implements?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TRR do you even own a pistol with an arm brace? Have you even read the ATF letter. You keep spewing that the ATF declared them legal for any use which as is usual from you is BS. They said and i again reiterate they are "legal for use as designed, firing from the shoulder makes it an SBR".

We all know your a kook but we atleast figured as a public educator you would take things on a whole and not pick and choose sections.

Please tell me how the ATF allowed them to be fired from the shoulder. Here the the original ATF classification for the brace that you fail to recognize:

In the classification letter of November 26, 2012, ATF noted that a “shooter would insert his or her forearm into the device while gripping the pistol’s handgrip-then tighten the Velcro straps for additional support and retention. Thus configured, the device provides the shooter with additional support of a firearm while it is still held and operated with one hand.” When strapped to the wrist and used as designed, it is clear the device does not allow the firearm to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, ATF concluded that, pursuant to the information provided, “the device is not designed or intended to fire a weapon from the shoulder.” In making the classification ATF determined that the objective design characteristics of the stabilizing brace supported the stated intent. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/16/sig-brace-no-go-per-atf/#sthash.yjk8ImaP.dpuf

The most recent calrification of the rules:

“The pistol stabilizing brace was neither ‘designed’ nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a ‘redesign’ of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item,” the January 17 ATF letter says. “Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.”

So NOWHERE has the ATF EVER stated you could kegally shoulder fire a pistol wuth stabilizing brace sans tax stamp.

“Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol … must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the [National Firearms Act],”

Do us a favor and only comment on things you know like 1911's in the showers and imaginary gangsters chasing you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
TRR do you even own a pistol with an arm brace? Have you even read the ATF letter. You keep spewing that the ATF declared them legal for any use which as is usual from you is BS. They said and i again reiterate they are "legal for use as designed, firing from the shoulder makes it an SBR".

We all know your a kook but we atleast figured as a public educator you would take things on a whole and not pick and choose sections.

Please tell me how the ATF allowed them to be fired from the shoulder. Here the the original ATF classification for the brace that you fail to recognize:

In the classification letter of November 26, 2012, ATF noted that a “shooter would insert his or her forearm into the device while gripping the pistol’s handgrip-then tighten the Velcro straps for additional support and retention. Thus configured, the device provides the shooter with additional support of a firearm while it is still held and operated with one hand.” When strapped to the wrist and used as designed, it is clear the device does not allow the firearm to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, ATF concluded that, pursuant to the information provided, “the device is not designed or intended to fire a weapon from the shoulder.” In making the classification ATF determined that the objective design characteristics of the stabilizing brace supported the stated intent. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/16/sig-brace-no-go-per-atf/#sthash.yjk8ImaP.dpuf

The most recent calrification of the rules:

“The pistol stabilizing brace was neither ‘designed’ nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a ‘redesign’ of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item,” the January 17 ATF letter says. “Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.”

So NOWHERE has the ATF EVER stated you could kegally shoulder fire a pistol wuth stabilizing brace sans tax stamp.

“Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol … must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the [National Firearms Act],”

Do us a favor and only comment on things you know like 1911's in the showers and imaginary gangsters chasing you.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.