Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10530986 10/06/15
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For those that actually have, or have had them, what's your verdict: good bad, ugly???? Not considering cost as a factor.

MM

ARIC

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think if your going sbr and suppressed, it may make sense. Other than that I'm not sure you will see any benefits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LMT - runs good; runs CLEAN, very accurate. Mil Spec trigger needs replacement. Thinking Timney.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am surprised that my Ruger SR-762 shoots as accurate as it does and I like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
my AR180B is a piston gun. I honestly don't see any real difference in operation between it and a DI AR rifle.

Sam......

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
For those that actually have, or have had them, what's your verdict: good bad, ugly???? Not considering cost as a factor.

MM
Certainly superior to direct impingement in terms of keeping the crud away from the chamber and bolt carrier region. All crud and soot stays in the piston and gas block area. This makes it more reliable under conditions where frequent cleaning of the action isn't possible.

My Sig P-516 G2 has been 100% after over three hundred rounds. Groups are running around 1.25" at 100 yards with PMC Bronze 55 grain ball, using an informal bench rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be surprised if anyone has had a hiccup on a range use DI AR in under 1000 rds with no cleaning or lube.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'd be surprised if anyone has had a hiccup on a range use DI AR in under 1000 rds with no cleaning or lube.

I know folks, that are top line shooters, that have run the guns all year, meaning likely a new barrel is next, 5000 to 10000 rounds... without doing any more than wiping the BCG off and putting a bit of lube on it again, every 1500 rounds or so...

I never thought about cleaning my match guns until 300 rounds were down the tube...

I've never owned a piston gun

I can count on my hand how many times a DI gun failed me and the reasons were always an ammo boo boo on my part.

I counted once how many rounds we think we went through while shooting DI guns.... Lets just say 20,000 rounds a year give or take, and for sure at least 10 years, and maybe 11-12 if you count in various tests at times before swappping totally away from the M14

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
what's your verdict: good bad, ugly????

Stupid.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
same, I don't clean my DIguns much at all. The only and one single failure IIRC I have had with any AR gun was due to a magazine, one single cheap metal magazine resulted in 1 failure.

problems seem to follow some people around. My dad always said "buy the best tool that you can afford" if you live by that rule your odds in life go up.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Earlier this year, I spent some time with my friend who is a smith and CIII dealer. We shot some of his FA and supressed toys, and the one that broke down was one of his Piston AR's. To be fair we were running that one FA, but he said it was his second piston gun to break down vs none of his DI's and he said he wasn't buying the Kool-Aid anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put more than a few rounds through the H&K and the Ruger, both shot very well, functioned perfectly.

I've always liked the idea of a piston gun. But until they become a military standard and parts are standardized, I'm not interested. The reality is, they just make cleaning less of a chore. If that's important to you, then by all means. They can be more reliable in very extreme conditions, but you have to really abuse an AR before you'd notice the difference. Still, more reliability is always welcome. I think the H&K is the best of the bunch, but it's not worth what they want for it. I'd much rather start with a Colt's, buy a good optic, large stack of Lancer magazines, and a weapon light/laser combo, and still have money over for a case or two of ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience is limited to three ar's and four uppers, all .223/5.56 DI and with a couple thousand rounds of handloads every single one has gone bang every time. I just don't see the "benefit" of adding the piston and op rod, it just seems to add weight and complexity where none is needed.

then again I've never thought the AR should be melded into an AK varient.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happened to talk to my CIII friend again and asked him about any follow up on his piston guns. Says he was running three and two of the three have gone down versus none of his DI guns. Says the piston guns have failed multiple times in different ways as the round counts stack up (kinda defeats the purpose of keeping the residue out of the working parts, if the working parts aren't reliable to begin with). He brought up a point related to that. He said his DI guns will have parts available into the next millenium, but he's not confident he will be able to maintain his piston guns into the next decade with each manufacturer making proprietary parts.

The icing on the cake was when he told me to look up a discussion started by his friends at Henderson Defense who run very high volume in their rent-a-machine gun business. Very enlightening;http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/..._how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html
Seems that they only run the HK design now, and only because of customer demand.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/20/15.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anybody that'd want a 416 over a Colt is a retard.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First SP-1 in 1977 or 78, 12 DI guns till now and 1 failure to feed. I consider my Ruger SR-762 a hobby gun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Happened to talk to my CIII friend again and asked him about any follow up on his piston guns. Says he was running three and two of the three have gone down versus none of his DI guns. Says the piston guns have failed multiple times in different ways as the round counts stack up (kinda defeats the purpose of keeping the residue out of the working parts, if the working parts aren't reliable to begin with). He brought up a point related to that. He said his DI guns will have parts available into the next millenium, but he's not confident he will be able to maintain his piston guns into the next decade with each manufacturer making proprietary parts.

The icing on the cake was when he told me to look up a discussion started by his friends at Henderson Defense who run very high volume in their rent-a-machine gun business. Very enlightening;http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/..._how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html
Seems that they only run the HK design now, and only because of customer demand.

That's an incredibly useful link with a load of information, especially on various components durability.....thanks for posting.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for an AR-10 that needed an extractor spring upgrade, and another that got a batch of bad brass, I've had flawless reliability from several different AR's.

A piston gun might be better if you had to shoot 1000 rounds full auto in a sandstorm, but I doubt it. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I put 1200 rounds through a DS Arms 16" AR upper once with no lube (not even on the BCG) or cleaning and it didn't fail one time. I was impressed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChrisF

That's an incredibly useful link with a load of information, especially on various components durability.....thanks for posting.

MM

Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing. Makes me doubly glad I've never wavered from DI. Thought about it for a while, but ended up figuring I'd just be adding one more link in the chain to go wrong.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.