Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been thinking about picking up a new truck. Don't do anything that requires full size and this was sitting at a local dealer. Test drove it on Thursday and it was still there on Monday so I went ahead and brought it home. 2011 Tacoma PreRunner the TRD Sport and Convenience package and yada yada yada. Not real high miles at 61,000. Previous owner dressed it up quite a bit.

First thing I'll be doing is selling the cap and putting part of the funds towards some decent step tubes. Anyone have a decent feel for used truck cap prices? Other than that it will stay as is at least until I get the first winter under its belt.

Those of you already in the Taco Club - anything to look out for or be aware of?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Dat's purty. You'll like it.

Mine is a '95 when they were mini trucks. Love it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'd go with "sliders" instead of step tubes.

Same function, but provide more protection for the frame.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
those caps are mighty handy. i'd keep it if i was you. it doesn't detract from the looks at all.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sweet looking ride.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love the black on black look, referred to as "murdered out" by today's youth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the club.

I'd leave it as is unless you need to haul big stuff.

That looks like a Yakima rack on the topper. If it is, there's all manner of handy accessories available.

The topper and rack we're well over a grand. You'll be lucky to get half that in the classifieds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Welcome to the club.

I'd leave it as is unless you need to haul big stuff.

That looks like a Yakima rack on the topper. If it is, there's all manner of handy accessories available.

The topper and rack we're well over a grand. You'll be lucky to get half that in the classifieds.

I second the the two "keep the cap" (camper shell where I come from) folks. Mighty dry storage when needed. Can usually come off easily enough with a friend for moving fridges and such.

Beautiful one you got there. DOn't know crap about 2011's but if they are like most other model years expect about 200K more on the motor and minor maintenance on other things. My 2001 purchased at 130K has 215K or so on it now and oil analysis shows all normal in the motor.

Good luck with it and welcome aboard the ship Tacoma.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a very handsome ride you have there, tastefully accessorized. My BIL has a '00 Tundra that has given him excellent service, he has no plans to replace it anytime soon. Toyota's are very high quality vehicles and give many years of trouble free service, owners are very loyal to the brand. Congratulations and good luck with a really cool looking truck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks sharp, I'm thinking more people will be going back to a mid size pick-up these days now.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice truck. I bought a 2015 Tacoma in May. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a outside thermometer or compass. I had an F-150 so I miss the size but, like you, I just didn't need a full sized truck. I also like the improved gas mileage- 21 MPG. I still haven't warmed up to the back-up camera.
I bought a used Leer cap for mine and paid $500. If you're patient you should be able to get that for yours too. Caps are kind of a pain in the winter, the back window is never clean.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I have some tube steps I could be talked out of.....

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fluffy
[Linked Image]

I have some tube steps I could be talked out of.....

Thinking more along the lines of N-Fab nerf bars...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That thing on the front is called a damage multiplier. It'll get pushed into your bodywork causing even more damage.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by wildbill59
That thing on the front is called a damage multiplier. It'll get pushed into your bodywork causing even more damage.

I have the same on my recently acquired Tundra, a close looking big brother of the OP's Taco and it will protect my truck just as it did on my last one. My chancing of hitting a deer are 1000 times greater than a hard vehicle hit. I will take the guard any day.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those of you already in the Taco Club...must be some tiny sobs .I get in .....an with the seat all the way down....I see headliner....it needs a sun roof open 24/7 imo

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Keep the cap. Use a utility trailer for anything that won't fit with the cap on it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Those of you already in the Taco Club...must be some tiny sobs .I get in .....an with the seat all the way down....I see headliner....it needs a sun roof open 24/7 imo

yes as a matter of fact I am a little bitty guy

and I certainly don't appreciate you bringing it up on an open forum where people like Isaac and Steelhead see me as being 10 ft. tall mad

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
anything to look out for or be aware of?

Avoid parking in the desert southwest in high summer.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by wildbill59

I have the same on my recently acquired Tundra, a close looking big brother of the OP's Taco and it will protect my truck just as it did on my last one. My chancing of hitting a deer are 1000 times greater than a hard vehicle hit. I will take the guard any day.

[Linked Image]

Tons of vehicles get hit by deer; the theory of the brush guard is it will prevent a deer from taking out the radiator and disabling the vehicle. One of my brother's friends hit a good sized mule deer and indeed it was still driveable afterward.

Now how it would fare against a 300 lb whitetail, I don't know smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.