Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Tried this in the gun smithing forum with little response so Ill give this a go with a few new spins. First off thanks for your input everybody.
I've been wanting a CZ 527 and 6.5 Grendel for a few years now.

After looking over the Howa's mini action options I still will prefer a CZ 527 for ligter weight and the set trigger. I picked up a couple green Mountain Midway F34 discontinued 1 in 9 twist Chrome Molly barrels with this project of mind. A CZ527 in 7.62 x 39 Will be the donor rifle.

My goal here is a lightweight carry rifle for deer hunting for myself and my son when he comes of age, hoping he takes interest. Would I be less than wise to ask the smith about profiling the F34 barrel to come close to fitting the existing stock, with a flared out muzzle to accommodate threads for a suppressor? Expect I will settle on a 21" to 21.5 barrel length.

For a finish on the barrel and action I'm looking at a Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing finish and I think I may get this done for the same or less money than a blue finish. Corrosion resistance durability and ease of cleaning the barrel look to be benefits that will come with the Melonite finish.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...treatment-for-barrels-bolts-and-actions/

Seems like there're been a lot of 6.5 Grendel's done on this 527 action. Still I'm a little concern and I'm wondering if pressure has something to do the reason CZ has not jumped on offering this as a factory rifle yet. If my research is correct chamber pressure for the 7.62 x 39 is approximately 15% less then the 6.5 Grendel.

What say ye Campfire Mentors, Anything I am overlooking or should re-consider b4 pulling the trigger on this project?

Thanks again for your input!

Last edited by Hunterapp; 09/29/15.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They chamber the rifle in .223 and .204, so why wouldn't it handle Grendel pressures? You could give CZ a call, just to confirm it. The Melonite finish looks interesting. Sounds like a nice project.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by shootinurse
They chamber the rifle in .223 and .204, so why wouldn't it handle Grendel pressures? You could give CZ a call, just to confirm it. The Melonite finish looks interesting. Sounds like a nice project.

Spoke with a smith at CZ today and was given a comment on the order of no problem as their custom shop has done many over the years.

Just received the rifle this week. Think Ill make a run over to the semi local smith today and see what we can work out for details. Seems like choosing reamer and throat length will be the next step. a little out of my scope yet, just know I want a tight chamber with a no turn neck i suppose.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lil CZ USA birdie whispered in my ear to hold off on the same project as they will have a 527 in 6.5 Grendel factory by 2017 or sooner.

...for what it's worth, just shoot the hell out of the 7.62x39 in the meantime and save yourself some money. Everyone that has one of those carbines absolutely loves them as is.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What kind of rifle looney would he be if he waited on a factory offering?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya got me there. Invest thousands, make it the best custom cz 527 6.5 Grendel ever...then another cartridge makes you wonder and doubt yourself, then you have to have that instead so you sell it to me for hundreds!

How'd I do, ya looney?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Outstanding!! Now yer makin' sense! laugh

Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=4winds]Ya got me there. Invest thousands, make it the best custom cz 527 6.5 Grendel ever...then another cartridge makes you wonder and doubt yourself, then you have to have that instead so you sell it to me for hundreds!

How'd I do, ya looney? [/quote

Hope you are right about the 2017 and seems to me Howa has opened CZ's eyes as I am confident Howa will have a production Grendel out there long B4 CZ makes this happen.

Suppose Ill have a chance to bag a few deer with this custom and have an oportunity to work out a business relationship with a fine local gunsmith. The custom rifle will have barrel and nearly all components of the action melonite finishd. Hope I am pleased as I expect.

Seems I found the right place to post with my questions. Truly appreciate the input ribbing and all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who knows what CZ will come up with when it comes to a factory gun. Chamber, twist, barrel length, bore are all questionable especially when it comes to a cartridge like the Grendel.

CZ in particular can get pretty quirky with these things and your custom project will be tailored to your expectations. About the only drawback with your project is the money you put into it vs what you get out of it down the road. This of course is moot if you'll be buried with it and applies to any custom gun our there.

I'm really intrigued with the Grendel and feel it would make an excellent set up particularly in my neck of the woods. Good luck with your build and keep us updated with pics and performance!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Now you might research the difference between the Grendel and the 264 lbc chamber. I believe the Grendel has a compound throat. And to complicate it even further check out all of the 6mm Grendel based cartridges! Happy loonying!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Lightweight and F34 contour are polar opposites.

I have a 257 AI (that shoots really well FWIW) with a F34 contour tube and I'd call it a heavy sporter contour.

If I had it to do over again I'd do a MUCH lighter contour. On your project I'd stop right there & re-assess, but other than that I like the details.

I think I'd roll a SS Douglas #1 @ 20".

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by efw
Lightweight and F34 contour are polar opposites.

I have a 257 AI (that shoots really well FWIW) with a F34 contour tube and I'd call it a heavy sporter contour.

If I had it to do over again I'd do a MUCH lighter contour. On your project I'd stop right there & re-assess, but other than that I like the details.

I think I'd roll a SS Douglas #1 @ 20".

Point well taken. Think what I really want is one of each, That is a medium heavy and a Light weight. Just not sure if a light weight 22 inch barrel will adequately support the weight of a 30 cal muffler even if i go the titanium path.

The can is a new concept to me that I am still struggling to weigh out, a compromise. Seems the dilemma here is I feel the heavier barrel may be a real plus to support the weight of the supressor. In this respect shorter is better. Don't really care to go to the extreme like 16"ish and give up a hundred'ish fps.

What say ye, who here has experience with suppressors on both short and longer rifle barrels?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 280gram suppressor on the light sako profiled 21 in barrel of my 6.5 Grendel-max and it gave me .3 - .5 in groups at 200 yds for the 123gn A Max at 2700fps. It was an overbarrel suppressor with 4 1/2 in ahead of the muzzle and as I carry muzzle down on the hill, became a nuisance which is the only reason I stopped hunting with it on.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Am I overly Anal on my chamber reamer desires. Just received a print from Dave Kiff today listed as a match grade reamer for the 6.5 Grendel. Waiting on a call back.

Concern I have with this Match reamer is the neck diameter is .004" over max neck diameter of the brass, and .009 over max diameter of the actual 1st sample of brass I will be working with.

I intend to request a reamer .002" over max brass diameter. Am I out of line here? I feel a safety margin of .002" is adequate in this case. I am no expert here though I feel a .2945 neck should be optimum. Correct me if you feel I am pushing the limits please.

Again actual diameter of brass with a seated Hornady bullet is measuring at .288 and max sami call out would be .293" +.000 -? zee print in link below.

Is their any real likely-hood someone will encounter brass over the max wall thickness?

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/6_5%20Grendel.pdf

Any one know of any quality Grendel brass that is approaching max callout in the neck diameter / wall thickness?

My goal here is more so longer brass life not so much accuracy improvement.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.