Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do wander over to AOD to check things out see what's going on an read some of the hunting stories this one got real interesting real quick. granted most of the time I get a headache from what I read over their sometimes.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/150235-Legal-or-not

Last edited by 79S; 10/03/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even more interesting if you know some of the folks involved or even the moose involved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Presence of palmation or not"……… wow! That means there must be a few 30-somethings, perhaps even 40 -somethings, that could be "forks". That little guy is too close to call, kind of like shooting a "I'm absolutely positive it's a 50 or 51 inch moose" and approaching it with crossed fingers.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like rock skipper he seems to be a good guy but wow he really got emotionally vested in that thread that's for sure. I honestly think it has more to do with outsiders invading their area ie Delta Jct.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
"Presence of palmation or not"……… wow! That means there must be a few 30-somethings, perhaps even 40 -somethings, that could be "forks". That little guy is too close to call, kind of like shooting a "I'm absolutely positive it's a 50 or 51 inch moose" and approaching it with crossed fingers.

I wasn't going to get involved in the pissing match over the legality of that moose but if it were me that moose still be alive cause it looked like a palm to me.. Again you can line up 10 guys and ask them their opinion you will probably get 10 different answers. I remember one year we ah d bull moose hanging out in our back yard had a bunch of friend's over and we were all judging it I seen the bull couple of time before that so I figured he was 40-42 inches but my buddies wow that was a real eye opener some said he was 48 other said he was real close to 50 if not over 50 I was like you guys are nuts! Other said he was 43.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would not have shot it, if I were a resident.

That being said, I'd fight that ticket all day long in court. I do not see that bull as being illegal by the way I've read the regs inside and out.

And I'd have a good lawyer in the process, so that I got my rifle and my meat back.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
caveat I read page one only... of AOD

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IN the guys defense, contrary to what the fellers on the ADF&G website try to infer, you often don't get a lot of time to look things over. Nine days ago I was standing inside a relatively "open area" where I could see………all of maybe 15-20 yards, and we had two different moose moving in my direction….uh, crashing in my direction….and pissed….'cause I was intentionally aggravating one we had seen before I started beating the brush- a very legal one. So when I heard two coming in, I realized that I could get run over and might need to make a very hasty judgement on "legal/not legal" which would determine whether I shot "at" or "toward" an animal if it appeared.

Granted, the specimen in question probably didn't fit that scenario at all, and it probably was all they could do to see those "spikes" among those fig-leaf ears, and typical brush,etc. (That's a reality.) Identifying "spike/fork" or brow tine count at a distance is a good argument for at least decent glass.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/04/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once I got a clear look at that bull, I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot it. There is nothing in the regs that states anything about palmation on a spike fork bull moose bein illegal as long as it fits the definition of the regs.

I met trooper Cummings this past Sept when he came in to investigate a sub legal bull that had been shot and left to rot and he seemed like a straight shooter. People make mistakes and sometimes they can be costly. Compensating the shooter is the right thing to do, however they decide to do it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is just so much more to this story if you know the players......hell,the bull was locally known by some as 'Maynard" and by others as "Spatula Horn" smile

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
although having a bull named doesn't really matter, but as always, once you know the whole story things typically are easier to read.

I still say I would not shoot it personally, and risk it, but by the book the way I read it, there is no question its legal.

Now if it was someones pet and thats illegal, or shot in the wrong place/wrong time etc... so be it. Nail him on that, but not the points thing...

Hopefully the whole story will come out in the future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, this might be less about the antlers, and more about the fact that he was chased off someone's backyard feeder and into a legal shooting area? smirk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not quite a pet Klik ....but I do think other hunters had probably declined the bull and were expressing their opinions to Trooper Cummings.

Sometimes these minor cases are dropped because there are "bigger-fish-to-fry" and WPOs are overwhelmed here during moose/caribou/sheep/bird season and often the Prosecutors will decline the case for similar reasons. I suspect this was a factor.

It just seems that there was a hell of a lot of indignation expressed in that thread by unknowing folks without a review of the facts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I made my judgement based on what was posted in that thread and unless is it was taken on someone's property illegally then what's the issue here? If I see that bull in a legal hunting area then he's meat in the freezer.

I don't understand why those in the know want to keep whatever it is, a secret.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We might as well hear the whole story...

After all, winter is coming.

Ya know what I mean Vern?

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by VernAK

It just seems that there was a hell of a lot of indignation expressed in that thread by unknowing folks without a review of the facts.

Well that don't sound all that unfamiliar on innernet hunting websites now does it. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah what's the big secret up in Delta over this whole thing?? Is their some General hospital/One life to live soap opera stuff going on up their??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Yeah what's the big secret up in Delta over this whole thing?? Is their some General hospital/One life to live soap opera stuff going on up their??

Pretty sure it was "One Life to Live". whistle I would imagine the story line went something like this:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Locals knew both parents, and both were from good families; ie, both had excellent genes for producing both great architecture (on top) as well as excellent table fare. Locals identify this junior w/ Mom. Locals expect good things and junior nubs out early just as expected. Junior's nubs look legal early; ie. forking out. Junior is identified as an excellent prospect for first-time local hunter, 12-year-old Jessica S. As summer progresses, nubs begin to show some palmation and the determination is made - repeatedly mind you- by several different locals, that Junior is going to be too close to call and therefore another victim prospect should be sought for young Jessica.

September arrives as scheduled. Out-of-towner arrives in vehicle too new to suit locals. Out-of-towner sees Junior and determines that he has small antlers. Out-of-towner digs out shiny cased rifle and proceeds to uncase said rifle. Out-of-towner looks for 'shells' for too-shiny 300 RUM but manages only to secure shells for the 300 Win Mag he used to own but couldn't hit anything with;

[scene fades as a break is taken for a word from the sponsor, Gambling & Proctology]

We return to find Out-of-towner finally locating 2 RUM 'shells' and shoving them into mag. Mag gets jammed when 'shells' are not fully seated to the rear. Thankfully the rifle is a "wrong-for-the-locals" brand which happens to have a floorplate. Floorplate is opened and 'shells' are evacuated onto terra aqua/firma. One 'shell' disappears into the deep thatch of the tundra but the head of one is still visible like a shiny coin. Out-of-towner snags said 'shell' and drops it into the gaping chamber of the wrong brand of rifle (according to the locals). Out-of-towner raises rifle whose floorplate dangles openly. Rifle roars to life. A tremendous thwap is heard by those who are far enough from the rifle to hear anything besides. Junior gasps and coughs and falters. Everyone does a mental 'high-five' (there are no hunting show cameras rolling, obviating the need to do the actual thing).

Junior fails to show up for afternoon tea. By suppertime Search-and-Rescue have been notified. The search for a hunter who has been missing for five days is called off and searchers begin an immediate search for Junior. Junior is located via the "chip" which was implanted by Mrs. Olsen the third time Junior teetered into the yard as a two-week-old 'orphan'. Mrs. Olsen had saved the chip which had previously been implanted in her miniature dachshound which had died 6 months previously (at the fangs of the local wild canids who, surprisingly, had not consumed the entire being of he whom was once called Maynard- [after her late husband]). Mrs. Olsen had employed the help of Dr. Johnov, a local vet of apparent Eastern European origin, who was actually a man who became a man - again- after having been a woman for a brief stint which wasn't very successful. (Both sex changes were at "self's" own hands.) No one was actually sure where his/her/his degree - if he had one- was earned. In any case, he/she/he was trusted by some, Mrs. Olsen among them. She didn't think his name was very proper so she just called him "Jack". Unlike some, she abbreviated his nickname somewhat.

And with that background in place, the case of Junior the moose: Maynard to some (for obvious reasons), was never in doubt when the echo of the 300 Ultra Mag had died away. Killing him was kind of like suffering the death of Mr. Olsen all over again - again. And if you think that the guy who killed him thought he had problems, imagine what would have happened had he not spared young Jessica S. the opportunity.

Read between the lines guys. It's all there in the umpteen pages of Angst-ODed .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sounds more like bold and beautiful to me.. LOL< that was worth a good laugh!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I would seem that the regs are written for hunters to follow. If 50 hunters can't come close to a unanimous decision, then it would seem that there is a fair amount of ambiguity in there.

When in doubt I tend to side against the Brown shirts. I don't know this one, but I've had more Brown shirt prick problems than I care to remember.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 36 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.