-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine came with a pop up rear peep that is sized just right for the post front. With that handle, they are real easy to shoot offhand.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Nikon P223 in 3x on mine. A great scope for the money. If you aren't looking to shoot groups it is really nice. Bright, clear and quick sighting with both eyes open. Use a AR scope mount and you don't have a problem with the front sight in the picture.
I had cataracts so the sight radius was just too short. I haven't tried since I had my eyes fixed though.

Last edited by smarquez; 10/06/15.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal. Hope you enjoy the six-gun. (I've had my 41 since around '85, a 45 Colt since around '92 and I've been holding a Super Blackhawk since I gave a guy a $150 loan about 20 years ago.) Brian Pearce printed and article a few years ago listing just over 6 grains …point 1 or 2 with a 250 grain cast bullet which is an awfully nice shooting load - if you can find Red Dot. I never thought I'd be happy to be "over-powdered" in the quick burning pistol powders. But so many things work perfectly well for plinking ammo if your sources are as tight there as here.

No advice - or interest in- the AR thing. I've got my Mini and that's all the "auto-rifle" I need (mostly because I like the simple, rugged mechanism of the M-design rifles).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on both of them Scott. I resisted AR's for a long time, but they are accurate, fun to shoot, and easily modified to suit you.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Day! laugh cool

I especially like that 45LC. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
I agree and I would like to try it without glass first. Tomorrow I will start looking and see what I can find but with my tired old eyes the rear sight will have to be a peep.

This thing came WITHOUT a rear sight ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice firearms sir. I have red dots on a few of my earlier AR's for plinking and HD but like a lot of guys im swapping to an illuminated 1-4, im really liking my newest from SWFA. Shoots like a dot at 1x but gives some magnification when wanted.

A guy can get into a decent illuminated 1-4 with a mount starting around $400.

A 45 LC is on my short list as well but fun money is gone with a new baby and a sig 226 Elite at a price i couldnt ignore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree and I would like to try it without glass first. Tomorrow I will start looking and see what I can find but with my tired old eyes the rear sight will have to be a peep.
What I would do is buy 4 Magpul mags for it at either a gunshow or "tactical" type dealer. Whilst there, I'd pick up a set of Magpul sights and then put something like this on it to keep the costs down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Shot-...5Z-NEW-/301758942118?hash=item46423c0ba6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

This thing came WITHOUT a rear sight ?
It's a DPMS Sportical. They come without any optics to keep the cost down.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't know much about em'.

Shot Expert with a way older version in the 60's (didn't really have a choice)

Selling a "rifle" without some sort of sights seems wrong, but than and again WTF do I know about rifles.

Scott,...I've got some sorta' Aimpoint here that I can shoot your way, I keep leaving it on , and having to replace the fargin' batteries.

Yours if you need it.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Don't know much about em'.

Shot Expert with a way older version in the 60's (didn't really have a choice)

Selling a "rifle" without some sort of sights seems wrong, but than and again WTF do I know about rifles.

Scott,...I've got some sorta' Aimpoint here that I can shoot your way, I keep leaving it on , and having to replace the fargin' batteries.

Yours if you need it.

GTC
The Oracle is the same rifle with sights and a forward assist. They are about $80 more IIRC. Who really knows what any of this stuff is "worth" now.

The only Blackhawk I've got now is in 44 Mag. unless you count Bisleys.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice purchase.

Makes for good home protection. I hope you never have to use it for that.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Katie bar the door, there is a new Sheriff in town!

Good job Scott.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While there and while thinking about all the crap about gun control in the news I looked at an AR.

Scott, that is how I ended up with an AR after the price went back down after Sandy Hook. I snore so bad that the wife and I sleep in separate rooms, and She keeps a pistol and laid claim the the .30 carbine, so I got the AR to keep me company along with my 9mm S&W auto. Hope they are just decorator items but they are there if needed. Mine came with a red dot, but I gave it to Curdog, at Quemado one year. He was having trouble with his right eye and he thought that he could shoot the red dot. I think that I remember him telling me that it worked out. I also think that he had Cataract surgery recently and maybe that eye is fixed. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job, Scott! One other thing you might wanna do with that AR is try the original trigger for a while - then you'll realize that the vast majority of 'em come with, at best, so-so triggers and a good aftermarket trigger will feel oh, so good by comparison..

Best wishes - and have fun with the new toys! smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These are great little Red Dots for the $$$.

Bushnell Red Dot

You will likely want to get a riser for whatever optic you use that will meet your needs. These guys have about anything that you would need for an AR. You could pick up the Bushnell there as well or one of PA's own private label Red Dots if even more frugality is in the equation.

Primary Arms

Mounts

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep.

I bought a DPMS Oracle recently. Been very pleaed with it so far. For a first AR, it's not a bad choice. You will enjoy it smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GFY

(Good For You....... smile

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Couple of good choices there Scott. You'll find the AR a hoot to play with.

+1 BIG TIME; I'd suggest strong consideration of a low power variable. Mine wears a Bushnell 3200 2-7x 32mm w/ firefly reticle and it's brilliant.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I managed to pull the trigger twice as well.

I stopped by the local shop yesterday to inquire about a cheap stripped AR lower just in case I want to build another rifle in a different variety some day. I didn't see anything in the display cabinets so I asked a clerk, he said they had a big box of them in back, buy one and the second was half off- who could resist?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.