Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I kept hearing about how you have to clean your brass to save your dies from being worn and scratched. Kept reading about how you have to clean primer pockets to get the finest accuracy and have your primers go bang.

Since I'm apparently a natural skeptic, I decided to test both claims. Have down been using several sets of dies for well over a decade to size unpolished brass, and the dies keep working fine. Have never found any difference in accuracy between cleaned and uncleaned primer pockets, even in some smaller-bore rifles that average 5 shots in less than 1/2" at 100 yards (including a couple that average under 1/4"), and several big game rifles that group three shots into less than two inches at 300 yards.

So I quit doing both, allowing me to get more handloading done.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I kept hearing about how you have to clean your brass to save your dies from being worn and scratched. Kept reading about how you have to clean primer pockets to get the finest accuracy and have your primers go bang.

Since I'm apparently a natural skeptic, I decided to test both claims. Have down been using several sets of dies for well over a decade to size unpolished brass, and the dies keep working fine. Have never found any difference in accuracy between cleaned and uncleaned primer pockets, even in some smaller-bore rifles that average 5 shots in less than 1/2" at 100 yards (including a couple that average under 1/4"), and several big game rifles that group three shots into less than two inches at 300 yards.

So I quit doing both, allowing me to get more handloading done.

Same here. Although I'm sure my testing was far less scientific than yours.

Thinking about this now my .17 Remington dies were bought 23 years ago and have never seen a tumbled round. And I bought 'em used.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dale K
Rifle rounds yes, handgun no. The difference is that after lubing and sizing, I toss the rifle cases in the tumbler to remove the lube. After tumbling, I check the flashole for media and it's easy enough to use a small straight blade screwdriver and do a quick twist in the pocket to get the crud out.

No lube on the handgun rounds so no tumbling and no pocket cleaning.

Dale

I do this exact thing. I like pretty ammo. The boom is more harmonic.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"The boom is more harmonic." Nice phrase!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks, John! Quite a compliment from a highly accomplished phrase-turner.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That WAS really good. Thankfully, I'd swallowed my coffee already. Harmonic boom. Geeze.

Cleaning is a "feel good" sort of deal. If it bothers you, do it. If not, don't.
I'd decided the only time I'll clean pockets is if they are getting too gross, (like once every five years) and what I do there is mix up a wet batch with first some kind of industrial solvent and some fine steel shot I got somewhere a long time ago.
The decapped cases go in the soup for a couple hours. Then I pour off the solvent and go for a couple of spins in hot Dawn for about an hour a pop. One more hot rinse spin and then the cases go in the warm oven, and finally, a dry tumble in media. I pour out the liquids through a screen coffee filter at each point, that captures the vast majority of the shot for use later. It's about two cupfuls, and I've not lost much, if any.

That's less of a pain than hand-cleaning the pockets, but it's such a pain, I only do it on certain big batches of brass I shoot quite a lot.

It also doesn't hurt to tumble unsized cases, then size and decap them, and tumble again. That seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the pocket gunk under control.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're supposed to clean them?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
That WAS really good. Thankfully, I'd swallowed my coffee already. Harmonic boom. Geeze.

Cleaning is a "feel good" sort of deal. If it bothers you, do it. If not, don't.
I'd decided the only time I'll clean pockets is if they are getting too gross, (like once every five years) and what I do there is mix up a wet batch with first some kind of industrial solvent and some fine steel shot I got somewhere a long time ago.
The decapped cases go in the soup for a couple hours. Then I pour off the solvent and go for a couple of spins in hot Dawn for about an hour a pop. One more hot rinse spin and then the cases go in the warm oven, and finally, a dry tumble in media. I pour out the liquids through a screen coffee filter at each point, that captures the vast majority of the shot for use later. It's about two cupfuls, and I've not lost much, if any.

That's less of a pain than hand-cleaning the pockets, but it's such a pain, I only do it on certain big batches of brass I shoot quite a lot.

I clean a primer pocket with a twist of a carbide cutter. No big fuss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if it makes your booms more harmonic, it's all good.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

314 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 47 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.