Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What seems to be happening is words out the honest mistakes are getting hammered in court. So a lot of illegal moose left in the field. The law requires you to turn in a illegal moose, honest hunter bares his sole, then they are nailed in court. IMHO

Never have I seen such attitudes, in enforcement here in Alaska.

Example, Working on wheeler on road pullout, side of road and trooper wanted my ID and hunting license?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SpartanGunner

We might as well hear the whole story...

After all, winter is coming.

Ya know what I mean Vern?

I'm with Spartan here. I read the whole AOD comments and would like to know the "backstory".

As far as regs go, sounds like the AK regs are just as, if not more confusing as ours. PITA

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting I think the moose regs for bull rules are as clear as any of our deer rules here.

X inches wide. X points. Point clearly defined.

You don't know for sure you don't shoot.

Only other way is to do an any bull rule and not be able to hunt every fall since you would have to go to draw IMHO in many areas or kill or horribly thin populations.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The regs are not confusing at all. I have taught them successfully to 11-13 year olds for the last 3 years.
There is a video from the 90s that does a great job explaining the spike/fork and 50” configuration of a legal moose. The video even shows a rack almost identical to Maynard’s, or whatever its “name” was, and declares it to be legal.

The problem with the regs is that people have to interpret them. This involves a multistep logical process of critical thinking while in the act of staring at an animal a hunter may wish to shoot. For some, this type of critical thinking based on correct education is much too burdensome to undertake while in the act of hunting. (longer than it is wide = a point - should be a rather easy one)

Thus, there is another thread on AOD whining about the regs and suggesting all manners of ridiculousness in an attempt to repair a slob hunter problem. We need to enforce the rules we have and penalize poachers accordingly. A dead moose is still dead whether salvaged for human consumption or not. To sustain a healthy population and preserve the opportunity to harvest it we have to enforce and abide the current regulations.

Maynard was a legal moose. Maynard is now groceries.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well said.

You're referring to Ted's old video?

Originally Posted by SpartanGunner
The regs are not confusing at all. I have taught them successfully to 11-13 year olds for the last 3 years.
There is a video from the 90s that does a great job explaining the spike/fork and 50” configuration of a legal moose. The video even shows a rack almost identical to Maynard’s, or whatever its “name” was, and declares it to be legal.

The problem with the regs is that people have to interpret them. This involves a multistep logical process of critical thinking while in the act of staring at an animal a hunter may wish to shoot. For some, this type of critical thinking based on correct education is much too burdensome to undertake while in the act of hunting. (longer than it is wide = a point - should be a rather easy one)

Thus, there is another thread on AOD whining about the regs and suggesting all manners of ridiculousness in an attempt to repair a slob hunter problem. We need to enforce the rules we have and penalize poachers accordingly. A dead moose is still dead whether salvaged for human consumption or not. To sustain a healthy population and preserve the opportunity to harvest it we have to enforce and abide the current regulations.

Maynard was a legal moose. Maynard is now groceries.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (69sportfury, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2500HD, 15 invisible), 1,348 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,131
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.