Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A little help from our members in that area please. I know there's at least a couple.

I work in E WA 8 months a year then go "visit" my wife and dogs while I'm on furlough over the winter. This past March she moved the household to the Sherwood/Newburg OR area. I'll be heading over that way mid to late Nov this year until mid March 2016. I generally try to join a local range in her area, for my purposes and just for general support of the shooting sports.

I hope to be able to get to a range about once a week, especially when I'm not off on a hunting/fishing trip maybe, or a job search.

Does anyone have any input on these:

http://www.tcgc.org/the-club/hours-and-directions/

http://www.johnsoncreekgunclub.com/club-facilities.html

http://www.nrpc.net

https://www.canbyrodandgun.org/

These seem to be within reasonable driving distance. Be aware, I hate driving around the Portland metroplex so would prefer the ranges toward the south end so I don't have to drive thru Portland itself.

Other suggestions welcome, especially if there's some that didn't come up on my quick internet search.

I'm leaning towards Tri-County right now, but haven't had a chance to visit any yet so my mind is not made up.

I served as a Range Officer at a "small" range in N. Cal for a couple of years and generally always try to assist with range work days and such. I'll probably be willing to continue along those lines in the new area.

Thanks for any assistance. PM's welcome too.

Geno

PS, Life Member NRA so no issues if that's a requirement

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a member of tricounty, which is next to Sherwood. It's a very nice facility. You'd have to buy a membership and I'm not sure about the availability. I heard they'd close it to membership at one time.

It's got a club house, 50/100 yd rifle, 300/600 yd rifle, trap skeet, outdoor pistol, IPSC, and an indoor 22 range.

Carpe' Scrotum
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Steve,

I have no problem with memberships even if I am only there 4 months a year. Makes life easier on me than going as "public" and it usually helps the club/range.

I'll check with them before I head over as to the availability of membership openings.

Do you perhaps know of any open areas in the forests to the west of Sherwood/Newburg that might be usable should I not be able to find a membership in a reasonably priced range? I have a portable bench and could easily cobble together target stands. I can handle a half hour/hour drive to/thru forest land but not Portland traffic (or any other metro area). sick

Going as "public" can get spendy if trying to go at least once a week, considering ammo, targets, drive time and costs, etc.

If Tricounty has a wait list I'll probably get on it as it looks like we might be in the area for little while.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tri County Gun Club is the largest and arguably the best range in the state overall. There are several additional ranges that Steve didn't mention including a muzzleloader/rimfire range, a 200/300 rifle range, an action rifle range, sporting clays and an archery range. There are lots of matches of different types that occur on a regular basis. I'm a member and shoot there frequently. The only issue is that the club set a limit on the number of members a couple of years ago and I believe there is now a waiting list to join. I would suggest getting on the waiting list but it might take a while to get in.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys,

Holy cr-p!
Wait list is 2000 or so long!

"Tri-County Gun Club is currently enrolling new members. There is a long waitlist, however. As of January 2015, there were almost 2,000 names on the waitlist. Those on the waitlist will be invited by e-mail when it is their turn to join."

http://www.tcgc.org/the-club/joining-the-club/

I'll be contacting them today I guess, better not wait, there's more folks moving in as I type probably. Some might even be shooters.

Has the Portland area ever considered "controlled" growth?

Well, I guess I'll check on the Canby range in the meantime,

Thanks bowmanh,

Geno

PS, perhaps when I'm over there this winter I'll run across a member or two.

In it is contentment

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check out the Chahelem Valley Sportsman Club 3 miles west of Dundee. Go out 9th Street to the West and it is behind the park that is at the bottom of the hill on which the Maersh red barn sits.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logger
Check out the Chahelem Valley Sportsman Club 3 miles west of Dundee. Go out 9th Street to the West and it is behind the park that is at the bottom of the hill on which the Maersh red barn sits.

Thanks, logger,

I downloaded an application and will check into them. They seem close enough and I might even be able to find a route over the hill without getting on the dreaded 99 if I'm lucky.

Geno

PS, yep, mapquest puts it at 2 mins longer time to take the "back roads".

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/08/15. Reason: back roads

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks Steve,

Do you perhaps know of any open areas in the forests to the west of Sherwood/Newburg that might be usable should I not be able to find a membership in a reasonably priced range? I have a portable bench and could easily cobble together target stands. I can handle a half hour/hour drive to/thru forest land but not Portland traffic (or any other metro area). sick

Geno

Part of the reason I joined TCGC was that finding spots to shoot was getting difficult. I used to just drive up to Timber and go into a clear-cut. Hard to find placed that aren't gated off anymore. You might find some places up in the Tillamook State Forest or in the Trask drainage. But it will take a bit of looking.

Carpe' Scrotum
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought that might be the case.

"They" screwed up shooting in the back country of San Diego years ago. Used to be lots of FS or BLM land, not allowed anymore. My brother either has to drive almost out to the desert or pay.

It's one of the multitude of reasons he's moving to the Flagstaff AZ area. There's a cinder pit down the road from his new place he can go for free.

Thanks again.

Geno

In it is contentment

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Geno:

http://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/OR.html

lists the ranges and contacts for them in Oregon...

ya oughta be able to find something suitable and without a long waiting list...

southern Oregon, we are in good shape, especially here in Josephine County... plus over much of the state is plenty of Forest Service and BLM land...so maybe its easier to just find a spot...

IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Geno:

http://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/OR.html

lists the ranges and contacts for them in Oregon...

ya oughta be able to find something suitable and without a long waiting list...

southern Oregon, we are in good shape, especially here in Josephine County... plus over much of the state is plenty of Forest Service and BLM land...so maybe its easier to just find a spot...

Thanks Seafire,

I think I ran across that yesterday while searching the 'net.

As you noted, the waiting list thing is a bit unfamilar to me, along with other issues of living near/in a large "metro" area.

Sure wish if I had to visit the wife in a"metro" area it was down near a "booming metropolis" near where you live. G-P, Medford, even K-Falls.

I appreciate the help.
PM to you soon.
Geno

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.