Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We often stop making popcorn for awhile at the concession stand for local baseball games so that we can clean the popper. We have always got some popcorn on hand in the warming section of the machine while we do this. As I now realize, from seeing how gasoline is marketed, we should be charging $2 a bag for this stored popcorn, instead of the normal $1, while the popper is shut down for maintenance. Even though we have created the "shortage" by our own actions, there is no reason that our income should go down since we have less product because of it. Then, when the popper is cleaned and back in operation, we can gradually lower the price, say to $1.80 for awhile, then maybe $1.65, and so on, before eventually getting back down near $1.00 again.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if the popping corn and oil price doubles, will you still sell the bags for $1?

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Self-created lower supply versus increased cost of materials? Apples and oranges.

However, if the cost of materials drops, we might eventually lower our price, but we certainly won't drop it by the same percentage as the drop in material cost.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps a better analogy would be at the beginning of the season you buy a truckload of pre-popped pre-bagged popcorn. If the cots of that product drops during the season do you drop your price?

It's not a single business entity that brings the crude to the surface, transports it to the refinery, refines it, ships it to the gas station and sells the end product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

It's not a single business entity that brings the crude to the surface, transports it to the refinery, refines it, ships it to the gas station and sells the end product.

No, but they're all in cahoots.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, and they promote fuel conservation and impose fuel economy standards on cars then say we have to raise the per-gallon taxes because there isn't enough money to maintain the roads. There aren't enough gallons being sold. 8 cents per gallon profit is highway robbery but 15 cents of taxes isn't enough.

Then they promote water conservation and impose drought restrictions. You guessed it, the water rates go up because they aren't selling enough gallons of water.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
We often stop making popcorn for awhile at the concession stand for local baseball games so that we can clean the popper. We have always got some popcorn on hand in the warming section of the machine while we do this. As I now realize, from seeing how gasoline is marketed, we should be charging $2 a bag for this stored popcorn, instead of the normal $1, while the popper is shut down for maintenance. Even though we have created the "shortage" by our own actions, there is no reason that our income should go down since we have less product because of it. Then, when the popper is cleaned and back in operation, we can gradually lower the price, say to $1.80 for awhile, then maybe $1.65, and so on, before eventually getting back down near $1.00 again.

People can wait on, or just not buy the popcorn, or buy a substitute product like candy.

People have much less choice when it comes to vehicle fuel.

In economics we call this the elasticity of demand.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
or those nachos with fake cheese and stale chips, something about a concession stand makes em taste delicious

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
now i'm boycotting popcorn.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r

but don't boycott boy scout popcorn

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

We're happy to support scouts and love the popcorn but gol darn it's gotten expensive! Seems you get 1/2 as much as you used to and it no longer comes in a tin.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yeah, "its the thought that counts" or so they say.

Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

i wouldn't get away with that. my boys sold it for 12 years so i have a lot of paying back to do. its actually really good popcorn its just so dang expensive. i bought a small can of caramel popcorn the other day and it was $10. my son ate it in one sitting. but i now have a nice can to put crap in.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Then there's government business. The Bonneville Power Admin is a federal agency that controls all the power production & sales in the northwest. A couple years ago, we had an oversupply of water and the hydro power plants were producing more than the grid could handle. It was necessary to shut down the thousands of windmills that line the Columbia River because there was no need for their power.

In private industry, if you over produce, you cut back and take a hit until demand increases or your inventory is down to a marketable level. Not so here. The BPA ordered the windmills shut down but they paid the owners for power they didn't produce, using our tax money to pay them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
wish I could still eat popcorn...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.