-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The TRD comes with an air lock rear axle, so you'll have a solid locked rear axle on demand.

Had a bud who hat this set up with his prerunner and really liked it.

Not 4WD, but way better than a conventional axle.

Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by rem141r
those caps are mighty handy. i'd keep it if i was you. it doesn't detract from the looks at all.

Yep!

What made you go with the 2wd? Really cool looking truck!

Probably be branded a puzzy, but, I haven't locked a truck in while traveling on a road in years so I figure whats the point. As far as hunting goes I run down a couple field roads and park the truck then its all ATV to get into anything sketchy. I'm thinking 4x2 with a little sand in the back (and not driving like a retard) will more than cover my needs. We'll see whether I was right soon I suppose.

It will. One of my four Yota's was a 2wd TRD (Wife's), and I never needed more than the diff lock to get out of anything, even on the beach. Of course, I never took it in the really bad places.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 2010 2wd taco before I traded it in for my present 2012 4wd,it wasn't difficult to get stuck until I put 500 lbs in the back.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by rem141r
those caps are mighty handy. i'd keep it if i was you. it doesn't detract from the looks at all.

Yep!

What made you go with the 2wd? Really cool looking truck!

Probably be branded a puzzy, but, I haven't locked a truck in while traveling on a road in years so I figure whats the point. As far as hunting goes I run down a couple field roads and park the truck then its all ATV to get into anything sketchy. I'm thinking 4x2 with a little sand in the back (and not driving like a retard) will more than cover my needs. We'll see whether I was right soon I suppose.

Fair enough. I don't see a problem with it, just don't see too many that aren't 4x4 anymore. I've had plenty of 2wd trucks. As long as you know what you're doing, you'll be fine.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Keep an eye on the frame for rust, especially where the springs attach. I know rust is a way of life for you in the north country, but having your frame rust out at 170K is not cool. It happened to my oldest son's 99, and it spent most of it's life in the south. He now drives a GMC.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just got out of the dealer last night. I am trading my 2013 off on a new 2016.

Trading this one in on the second pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mack5511
Just got out of the dealer last night. I am trading my 2013 off on a new 2016.

Trading this one in on the second pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mack, nice looking trucks. I have the big brother to your bronze Tacoma in a bronze colored Crewmax Tundra.

Have they released the engine specs for the new Taco yet?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
3.5L V6 ATKINSON CYCLE WITH DUAL VVT-I, 278HP @ 6000RPM/265 LB-FT @ 4600RPM, 6-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION,
4WDEMAND: PART-TIME 4X4 SYS W/2-SPEED, &, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED TRANSFER CASE, AUTOMATIC LIMITED-SLIP
DIFFERENTIAL, OFF-ROAD TUNED SUSP W/BILSTEIN SHCKS, LOCKING REAR DIFF; MULTI-TERRAIN SELECT, CRAWL CONTROL;
HILLSTART ASSIST CTRL,

16"MCHN CNTRST ALLOYS W/P265/70R16TIRES

Says 19 City and 24 Hwy

Last edited by mack5511; 10/08/15.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good looking Yota and I would definitely keep the camper shell, not only does it look good but great for keeping things out of the weather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Welcome to the club. I have a 2009 TRD Sport 4WD. Great trick overall. But I just found out that ISIS wants to steal my truck. Might need to buy a lo jack

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/these-toyota-trucks-are-strangely-popular-with-terrorists-%e2%80%94-heres-why/ar-AAfdpSX?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=iehp

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an 09, Access cab,6 spd manual, just at 160K now, been good other than a front wheel bearing went at 140k. I put a topper on it as I travel with the dog, carry all manner of hunting & fishing stuff in there, sleep in it on fishing & hunting trips in all manner of weather.. Tow a 14ft boat or a 5x8 enclosed decoy trailer, no issues with either, way better than the 92 was in that regard.
I couldn't wrap my head around the TRD package, just an SR5.
I did put the ARB winch bumper and a Warn winch on it. The mount on these is complicated, not a simple one like my old 92 was. Had to put a levelling kit on it for that. Not cheap, but, I tend to go places when I need to when hunting, that a winch is sometimes a requirement. I put 275R75/16 on it, they kiss the frt flaps sometimes backing up, depending on the tire brand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd like to get a "real" replacement bumper for my 09. Has to carry a winch and be able to smack brush and trees offroading w/o damage. If nobody makes one made of anything but tin, I'll build my own.

I don't think ARB uses tin.

Check out Rocky Road Outfitters.

Dave

ARB's are nice and sturdy, and air bag compatible if you care about such things. I've got one on my 2002 double cab. Handles chit well. I whack all kinds of crap with it off road, and it's fine. Rear ended a Dodge Dakota years back with it. Screwed up the ass end of the Dodge pretty decently. Only damage to the ARB was a somewhat crushed bumper mount bracket (the crumple mount which makes it work right with air bags). Bought a new mount from ARB, and all was good as new. No damage to my truck.

Here's one on one of the 3rd gen Tacomas.

[Linked Image]

But with an ARB (or other heavy metal bumper), it's a lot of weight, and you'll need to start thinking about heavier springs up front to handle the weight and keep a nice driving truck that can handle the off road bumps. On mine, factory springs were 550 lbs. I'm now running 700lb springs on my King Coilovers. And it rides great and handles whatever I throw at it.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3.5L V6 ATKINSON CYCLE WITH DUAL VVT-I, 278HP @ 6000RPM/265 LB-FT @ 4600RPM, 6-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION,
4WDEMAND: PART-TIME 4X4 SYS W/2-SPEED, &, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED TRANSFER CASE, AUTOMATIC LIMITED-SLIP
DIFFERENTIAL, OFF-ROAD TUNED SUSP W/BILSTEIN SHCKS, LOCKING REAR DIFF; MULTI-TERRAIN SELECT, CRAWL CONTROL;
HILLSTART ASSIST CTRL,

Says 19 City and 24 Hwy

Thanks. the 278 HP is a boost over what the 4.0 put out, but I was hoping that they'd tweak the 3.5 to get closer the the output of the Chevy Colorado's 305 hp. Torque is pretty much identical between the Taco and Colorado.

On the other hand, Toyota seems to have pretty clean drivelines and get a decent percentage of their power to the wheels.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
HILLSTART ASSIST CTRL,

Says 19 City and 24 Hwy

Thanks. the 278 HP is a boost over what the 4.0 put out, but I was hoping that they'd tweak the 3.5 to get closer the the output of the Chevy Colorado's 305 hp. Torque is pretty much identical between the Taco and Colorado.

On the other hand, Toyota seems to have pretty clean drivelines and get a decent percentage of their power to the wheels.

You can slice it, dice it or whatever, the Toyota will be alive and well when the Colorado is someone else's distant memory.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Originally Posted by bruinruin
HILLSTART ASSIST CTRL,

Says 19 City and 24 Hwy

You can slice it, dice it or whatever, the Toyota will be alive and well when the Colorado is someone else's distant memory.

As a Toyota owner I won't argue that point, but for selling purposes, it would be nice if the performance was on par with the competition.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 73 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.