Print Thread
Hop To
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Can pick up a 12 for a decent price. I know a little about them and they seem like a well built sxs

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned 2, dam fine scattergun. I cant shoot em but from a quality standpoint their great IMO

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 28" 12 Ga BSS with the straight grip stock

I had the M/F chokes reamed out to a Light IC over Light Modified ( .007" / .015" ) for close in grouse hunting in the bush around here.

I find the BSS a tad heavy for grouse hunting, but it swings great and is a total blast for shooting low gun skeet.

It kicks hard with anything heavier than 2-3/4 Dram loads.
3" magnum shells are painful. I am thinking that backboring and long forcing cones would help with the recoil and a bit of weight loss.

What is a decent price in your neck of the woods?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by passport
I have owned 2, dam fine scattergun. I cant shoot em but from a quality standpoint their great IMO

I'm laughing (at myself) - I've owned two Browning BSS in 20 gauge over the years, an early one without the barrel selector, and a later one - never could hit worth a damn with either one! Nice quality though, equivalent to the Citori O/U. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
They are rather popular with guys shooting the vintage-events at sporting clays competitions. Heavy, built solid, will take many thousands of rounds without a hickup. For a gun to carry all day chasing birds I prefer a lighter SxS but for a dove field shoot where you're sitting put they are just about perfect.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A guy I used to know loaned me one quite a few years ago - it shot well for me on doves and quail. A good friend currently has a pile of them. His Dad collected them and had one in each configuration they offered. He ended up with them when his Dad passed and won't sell me any frown He shoots them quite a bit - 5 stand, clays and hunts them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had two twenty guages both IC/M. First one with out and the second one with selective trigger. I hunted quail exclusively with the first during the 72-73 season. Me and a rookie bird dog that developed into the finest dog I ever followed in that single season, took limits of quail at least two days per week during the long season.

My only quarrel with the gun was lack of barrel choice and it was a little heavy for guage.

The second is an interesting story. My father-in-law, an avid quail hunter, with whom I had been sharing days afield for over twenty years, and whom was much loved and respected by me, brought his old beater Browning .22, and asked me if I could trade it for a twenty double. He said that as he got older, his L C Smith 12 was beginning to beat him up.

FIL was old school and did not want to be obligated to anyone, but I saw an opportunity. I replied that perhaps I could. I bought him a new Browning 20 double, had his old .22 professionally restored and kept it. I gave FIL the new double and told him that I had traded. He loved the gun.

After some time, he told his domino playing buddies of my gun trading ability. One old guy who knew guns, told him that there was a good $500-600 gap and perhaps more between the worth of the .22 and the shotgun.

Next trip out to see the old folks, FIL retrieved the gun and handed it to me and said that he knew what I did and that he could not accept the gun. I assured him that the gun was something that I wanted to do, to no avail. I tried another approach. I asked him to keep my gun for me, use it as he pleased as long as he lived, and that I would take possession after that. He called the family together and made sure they understood the deal and that the gun was mine.

After FIL passed away, I retrieved the gun, hunted it a couple of times. Problem was that I missed FIL very much and became melancholy while carrying the gun. Liked it very much, still a bit heavy for guage and sold it.

I still have his .22 and L C Smith . The Elsie is mounted in our home in a place of honor and rememberance to a fine gentleman.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had a couple 20's and a 12.. I liked the way the handled, but the second 20 ga. shot most of the pattern below the line of sight.. The 12 would shoot trap loads fine.. It was a 3".. I bought it for turkey.. With the left barrel and a 3" shell it shot low and left..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love a good story. Thanks for sharing. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well told story, Jack.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned five or six over the years and presently have the Grade 2 Browning BSS.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my son has a Miroku SxS that i bought off the fire here a couple years ago as a gift for him when he got his Eagle Scout. it is an un-badge Browning BSS and it shoots well and is built nice. his has double triggers and a straight grip stock. i would love to find a similar gun in 20 ga for myself down the road.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also have a like new Miroku SxS made before Browning started putting their name on them.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've had a 20 ga. BSS for over 30 years I think. It was bored a bit tight and Carlsons installed thin wall choke tubes for me. I've come to rely on it as my go-to grouse gun. We have ruffs and blues (usually...) near my hunting camp. I load 4's in the open barrel and 5 1/2's or 6's in the second barrel. When I miss it is my fault-

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 12 gauge BSS with 26" IC/MOD barrels and nonselective trigger. It is a bit heavy but I hit with it as well as I ever have with any other shotgun. It is the last shotgun I will ever sell. Love that thing.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few. I love them. I am sad that I left it home today in favor of my sp5 beretta.....I never miss with my bss, and can't hit squat with the silver pigeon....

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grade 2 is a bit different.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Grade 2 is nice!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a BSS 12 last year, I have not shot it much but like it.
It is heavy but most things built like a tank are

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.