Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Well gents it's getting close to that time for me again.This year in it's ignorance the NYS DEC decided to make the first 2 weeks of the archery season(Oct 1-Oct 15) doe only in my area.They think it will result in a higher doe harvest(which it won't) but this is a whole other issue.
Stands are set and patiently waiting for the middle to latter part of Oct to begin hunting.

Here are some trail cam pics from 2 of the properties I hunt

Apple crop good again pelenty of deer mostly small buck and lots of does visiting but one nice buck has surfaced

[Linked Image] [/quote]

2nd property this is the spot that I had 3 piebald deer on last season,a button,doe and a small 5 pt
the bucks have made it through hunting season and a cold hard winter

These are the pics of the button and 5 pt from last season followed by this years pictures,both 8pt buck now

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This year

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck! I really enjoy following along on this thread the past couple of years.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why would folks not harvest a doe if they got to hit the woods 2 weeks earlier? On the surface it sounds like a reasonable idea but it's probably the details I'm not seeing.

The variety of management strategies by states for deer is pretty amazing.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I prefer not to over hunt my sets and especially with out the prospect of killing a buck.
The rub is this is only in a few areas not state wide and is really just political and not really a sound management strategy. This is driven by the insurance company lobbies trying to cut down on their cost for deer/car accidents
At any rate I try to keep my spots fresh until the rut starts to approach
The heard here is healthy but by no means needing to be severely thinned. We have had two of the hardest snowiest winter on record the last 2 years.
I took 4 doe last year I do my share and I don't need the DEC telling me when I need to get the job accomplished

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I prefer not to over hunt my sets and especially with out the prospect of killing a buck.

I took 4 doe last year I do my share and I don't need the DEC telling me when I need to get the job accomplished

Got it. Excellent plan. I've got stands I won't get near until the rut.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Piebald is a trait of inbreeding

You guys need to thin the herd big time. Left to solve itself the population will eventually take a dive and then a decade or more to recover.

The does should be thinned to minimal populations so outlying does can move in. Also pushing younger bucks out to look for " greener pastures" to breed.

Not much you can do alone, hopefully your F&G has a plan.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
They don't(DEC) and JJ I'm not buying the inbreeding ...piebaldism is a genetic defect not from inbreeding

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's what they taught in wildlife management in college! The study's done on isolated populations around the USA shows a significant increase in piebald.

In my own herd of Corsican and mouflon sheep brother to sister breeding causes white areas on the lambs. This also occurs in many rodents species as well

I was in school over 20 years ago maybe they found another cause? It's what we were taught in school.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Well at any rate theses deer look healthy and normal other than the white spots on their hides.
It not that I won't kill a piebald I surely would.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
The rub is this is only in a few areas not state wide and is really just political and not really a sound management strategy. This is driven by the insurance company lobbies trying to cut down on their cost for deer/car accidents
The heard here is healthy but by no means needing to be severely thinned. We have had two of the hardest snowiest winter on record the last 2 years.

I think we shoudl be told when to take the does and IMHO it should be prior to the rut.

Shooting them during or after helps trash a management plan in many ways.

If I was given early time, I'd shoot does in a hearbeat, but its just me. I don't really care if I shoot a big buck,that happens in due time and generally every few years only. And so I try to maintain a good herd in the meantime, does and cull bucks are the primary targets.

If I were to wait until after I took a good buck, sometimes 5 years would go by before harvest.

But different areas work differently.

Cool pics of the piebalds!

Best of luck, I enjoy seeing your thread when I have time to glance!

Insurance companies should NOT be allowed to be involved in game department stuff!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was thinking about you Saturday morning (opening day) and thought about beating you to the punch. Then I realized nobody could see the wind blowing the leaves around, which is the only movement I have seen.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know it's going to cost you a $1000 if you shoot that larger pie. grin

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I like the thread and look forward to it, I have taken a doe already. if i have a chance to take one that I can get out of the woods by myself, I will. now hopeing for a buck!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love the pics, especially the first one. I have never heard of a piebald deer, but those look pretty cool, too.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I'm live, but all I'm seeing is a bunch of turkeys and don't know how to embed a photo on this phone. 90 degrees at 615.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good prospects for you Dan! My pics are coming in A+ also.....we'll see what happens.

I haven't been out yet either, maybe this weekend??

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm waiting till next Friday at the earliest
Pat 90 probably seems cool tou you

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
It's on let the games begin, First morning in my stand crisp 45 degrees rained all night but has stopped
Bumped a deer near my stand walking in in the dark
Still a lot foliage and ground is wet so you can here um coming

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm waiting till next Friday at the earliest
Pat 90 probably seems cool tou you

LOL< might to Pat, sure don't to me...

50s in the mornings lead to mid to upper 90s in the afternoons.. Weather here still sucks...

Deer are moving though, will hunt in the morning, unless the fire pager goes off..

4500 acre fire 25% contained 20 miles to the west of us... still rolling...ugh.. been since Tuesday.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.