-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our deer season opens 10/10 and elk on 10/15. The seasons overlap for 2 weeks. Usually we'll take a 2 or 3 day deer trip, then come home for a few days before going back for a long elk/deer hunt. It's only about 90 miles on a good highway so the traveling is no big deal.

However, Saturday & Sunday will be in the 80's with warm nights. We've decided to hold off until Tues and make a longer hunt instead of 2 shorter ones. It's just too warm to safely take care of the meat if we score. Even at that, it it doesn't cool off enough, we might have to make a quick trip home to get any meat in the cooler. If we don't score then, we can go back the 1st week of Nov for another week chasing elk. We'll normally have some snow by that time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The weather has been so pleasant here that it doesn't really feel like hunting season to me. I've heard the hunting is pretty good back in the back country though. I'm flirting with the idea of taking my rifle for a walk tomorrow afternoon after I get off work and then again on Monday since we'll be closed for the "holiday".

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure where you're hunting, but the general deer units I've hunted in ID being there opening weekend is very preferred. Regardless of temps. That said, good luck!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have a couple spots where we never see any other hunters early or late season. One is so obvious that they all pass it by but we've taken several bucks a year out of there for the last 4 years. 3 years ago, I got my biggest ever there, a nice 5x5.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was up in Heyburn today doing some LR shooting on the river..My heart sank seeing hunters pouring into 56 for the Saturday opener..they have totally f'd that unit.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rosco1
I was up in Heyburn today doing some LR shooting on the river..My heart sank seeing hunters pouring into 56 for the Saturday opener..they have totally f'd that unit.
There are now wolves in parts of Cassia County. There's an article about them in the Times-News this morning. In that open country they're relatively easy to spot so hopefully the army of hunters will wipe them out.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We were up in Unit 45 this morning and packed it in about noon - too damn hot. High 70s. It was 90 later in the day at home. Crazy!

Last edited by Akbob5; 10/10/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It hit 92 here today. There's no way we could have got a deer packed out without losing it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, we're off & running in the morning. It's deer only through Wed. then elk opens on Thurs. It's supposed to be in the 70's up there for a few days then cool off with some rain on Sunday. If we get any deer, we might have to bring them home & stuff 'em in the fridge. It's only about 90 miles.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Best of luck... Warm here in Wy.. Elk opens the 15th.. Not sure if I will go out or not.. Hope you guys fill out ...

Molon Labe
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Warm weather increases the logistics, but is still doable. I've hunted and arrowed elk in 90 degree plus weather and never had any meat spoilage. Just cut poles and put them over a creek in a shady spot and lay the meat on them, or for extra insurance put the quarters in contractor grade trash bags and sink them in the creek.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Back home for a couple hours to put 2 deer in the fridge. We spotted 3 bucks as soon as we got out of the truck last night and were able to get 2 of them. Elk opens in the morning (we have cow tags) and this morning we watched 2 cows & 2 calves feeding on a hillside right above our camp. We'll attempt to sort them out in the morning.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.