Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
A lot of scopes have 2 piece tubes, even some of the Leupolds.

Is there a big advantage in a 1 piece? How many 2 piece scopes have failed you?

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
With one exception I think every scope that has failed me was two piece. The single one piece that failed was about 40 years old. The reticle wire broke.

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One less seam for the gas to leak out!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Less cracks, then less places to break or leak

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dixie Rebel,

I’ve tested a LOT of scopes for leaks over the decades, and while plenty have leaked I’ve yet to encounter one that leaked through the joints in 2-piece tube. All the scope manufacturers I’ve talked to (often during factory tours) seal the joint with some sort of compound.

I have also never seen a 2-piece tube break at a joint, and have even tested a few junker scopes by putting them in a vise and bending them. All bent, but the joints did not break.

More than one scope manufacturer has also told me that 1-piece tubes are great for advertising points, but make no practical difference otherwise. And all those manufacturers make both kinds of scopes.

All that said, I’d love to hear from anybody who’s had a 2-piece scope break or leak at the joint.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Nest question.....

Which would you prefer....

Nikon Monarch 3 2-10x42 or Leupold VX2 3-9x40 for a deer rifle.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would go with the Leupold, mostly because it weighs a quarter-pound less, and I try to shave weight any way I can, whether on my gear or my body, due to getting older. But I dunno what kind of hunting you do, so dunno what feature in a scope is most important for your kind of hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dixie Rebel,

I’ve tested a LOT of scopes for leaks over the decades, and while plenty have leaked I’ve yet to encounter one that leaked through the joints in 2-piece tube. All the scope manufacturers I’ve talked to (often during factory tours) seal the joint with some sort of compound.

I have also never seen a 2-piece tube break at a joint, and have even tested a few junker scopes by putting them in a vise and bending them. All bent, but the joints did not break.

More than one scope manufacturer has also told me that 1-piece tubes are great for advertising points, but make no practical difference otherwise. And all those manufacturers make both kinds of scopes.

All that said, I’d love to hear from anybody who’s had a 2-piece scope break or leak at the joint.

In all fairness, The scopes I have had fail were all reticle, turret or erector failures with one exception. That exception was a seal failure in the objective end of a Meopta.

All the other failures weren't worth sending back, and probably wouldn't be covered had I done so. The Meopta went back and was returned as a new scope with my choice of reticle in two weeks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the additional info. Was the seal failure around the objective lens or at the bell joint?

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A two-piece tube will absolutely destroy the rifling as the rough edge at the joint rips away at the inside of the barrel like a bark-shredder. Oh, wait, that's a two-piece cleaning rod, sorry for the confusion. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the additional info. Was the seal failure around the objective lens or at the bell joint?

I think that scope was a single piece tube. Do not know for sure. I believe the seal failure was around the objective lense, I noticed it because of the film/spotting inside of the objective lense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dixie Rebel,

The reality of R&D (and reality laugh ) always trumps theory. That is a fact that some manufacturers have forgotten or overlooked to their chagrin.

The failures I've dealt with have been the highly touted, "superior" mono-tube scopes.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/09/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.