Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have always been a Leupold guy, I keep buying pre 64 mod 70 Winchesters so one or 3 scopes in German glass is all I have managed thru the years. My all time ,all around favorite now is the side AO focus, 4.5X 14 with the varmint reticule, top turret can be target turret, I can take or leave that option, I do not want one on the windage... My 2 C , the very best WinchesterPoor or broke

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hard to beat agood 3-9x40 for most general uses . Versatile fairly light plenty of magnification and generally cheap.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Either the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or the Meopta 3.5-10x44. Don't see how you could go wrong with either one IMO.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
3x9 Zeiss Conquest

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Get either the conquest or the meopta mentioned above. Skip the fixed 6X.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
G
I ended up ordering the Conquest and getting myself one as well. This scope at $300 sounded to good to me to pass up.

Thank you all for the help. I'll probably buy a fixed 6 down the road for a light weight rig. It's still a little hard to not want that extra magnification though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by go_bears
My BIL lives in Australia and just received a depredation permit for his farm. He wants a 50mm scope for light gather at dawn and dusk. He wants to spend $350 or less. Would he be better off getting a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or buying a lower end 50mm scope? I'm leaning towards the Zeiss since it has great glass and is still in his price range over getting a cheaper quality 50mm scope.

I'm open to other ideas so what would you guys choose to help this Aussie shoot some kangaroos?

You ain't gonna listen and that will be THE funniest fhuqking part.

Firstly,I've got or have shot every glass thus far mentioned,as well as a lot that ain't. I'll never savvy why folks swoon the Conquest(in ANY of it's forms),other than it's always a buncha Clueless Dumbfhuqks easily enamored with a "name". There is nothing redeeming in the Conquest,whether one is talking reticle(s),adjustment value/range/reliability,out right durability,eye-relief or any other facet pertinent to actual scope USE. Hint. Now read that again. Re-hint.

Same goes Meopta.

Now you didn't cite the rifle in particular,but as a worst case scenario it's 1-10" which means 90 Skinners at 3350fps are viable. Though a concession to a 9" spout,it still opens alotta windows of opportunity. Understand that I'm being VERY generous,in tossing the courtesy that the gent in question has a first fhuqking clue...which ain't very fhuqking likely given the query. More likely a Turd Polisher flingin' Ping Pong Balls in sheer and utter ignorance,devoid a single inkling in the arrangement of POA/POI intersections. You really should be writing this down. Read that again. Hint.

The aforementioned 6x42's(I just might have some familiarity),are very often the pick of the litter,as Utility goes. Their sole undoing isn't a function of the relative "quality" of the glass,exit pupil or anything else,but rather gathering the reticle in the lowest of light conditions...which is the very premise of your passed along query. It got sooooooo good,that one Stupid Fhuqker is gonna pack multiple scopes and swap 'em out,as ambient light levels change. FUNNY schit! The hilarity of Imagination and Pretend is without limits!

Anywhoo...the most fruit is always gonna be gathered and the most dots connected,if you focus on Reality,though it obviously ain't for everyone,as these Threads always eloquently attest. If one focuses(literally) on rugged reliability,durability,erector repeatability and forgets all the Fluff...it then becomes easy to cut to the fhuqking chase and laugh at Conquest-esque Notions,which are only proffered by the faction that "does" the least. Read that again. Hint. Now one more time. The Conquest is a ticking time bomb piece of schit and that again is my being very generous. Re-re-hint.

So beings it's a given that the reticle comes into play,once rugged reliability has been granted,there's only ONE fhuqking way to truly connect them dots and that via illumination. Sadly,most illuminated reticles are sorry Goat Fhuqks contrived by Clueless Bean Counters and are only good for laughs. They are designed by folks educated wayyyyyyyyyy beyond their fhuqking "intelligence" and it gets funny FAST. Hint.

Now that all of the salient points have flown over your pointy fhuqking head,I'll happily take the time to connect a few more fhuqking dots,so schit will get REALLY fhuqking funny,when you stand lock-legged at the waterin' hole and make a "stand" of Clueless Refrain. Laughing!

Though a 10" 243Win do nice thangs,one can't ever have "too much" erector travel. A reticle that grants opportunity upon the windshield,will never hurt the equation. When schit is dark,nothing works like light(illumination). Soooooooo...the astute can have their cake and eat it too. If one were to procure the SFP SWFA 1-4x and rock it ala Variable Fixed Fhuqker with subtention set to jive the erector(4x),alotta nice things happen by literal default.

Firstly,the erector travel is beyond "huge" at 62+ MILS and in 1/10 increments at the typical 5 Mil per each revolution.

[Linked Image]

Secondly,the reticle grants 10Mils of ele and 5 Mils of windage. That's the 1200yd line from a 250yd 90 Skinner zero and 1600yds of holdoff in 10mph full value correction.

[Linked Image]

Thirdly,it's illuminated and when activated it is EXCEEDINGLY easy to hold hard as the center point is 1MOA and lightning quick. betwixt every rheostat setting,is an "off" position,so one is never more than a single click away from dealing death.

[Linked Image]

Fourthly,tube length is veddy veddy generous and will easily facilitate mounting on any platform. As compared to a Reupold 6x42.

[Linked Image]

Compared to a Reupold 1" 3.5-10x 40mm and a L/A 700 receiver,for 1000 more words.

[Linked Image]

Fifthly,it's weight is commensurate to a 1" Reupold 6x42/3.5-10x wearing turrets. The Illuminati Variable Fixed [bleep] houses 36MOA of money in the bank,on the reticle alone.

Sixthly,the extry battery compartment is an essentially well thunked out idea. I've left it on for nearly 2wks and cain't kill the 1st battery,which is of dubious descent.

[Linked Image]

Seventhly,when configured as a Variable Fixed Fhuqker it do toss 6mm's of exit pupil...if only for extrapolation.

Eightly, acquisition is lightnin' quick,with the 'box and 'relief suplizingly forgiving.

Ninthly,the reticle's subtension values allow one to hold hard and it's a breeze to connect on 1MOA targets to 1000yds+.

Tenthly,the erector tracks like it has fhuqking eyes and one 'hose washer,will grant a zero-stop.

Now coming full circle and had Night Knocking not been the crux of the premise,the 6x42 Fixed Fhuqker MQ simply steals the show. It has far more tactile adjustments than the MOA/MD version of same and one is of course granted a vastly superior reticle,that is both more finite and of twice the subtention latitude. That being said,the Illuminati's adjustments Trump ALL,in their tactility and I've prolly gotta few scopes to compare/contrast. Hint.

You'll still manage to fhuqk this up.

Bless your heart................

(Addendum: ship them pieces of fhuqking schit back ASAP)

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wonder how many contributions to this thread are from people who have ever shot a roo?

The usual method is from a vehicle, at night, under a spotlight, and the conditions on the permit require headshots. For many years the preferred option for the purpose amongst the pro shooters (who shoot roos literally by the truckload) has been a good 8x56, and there's a lot to recommend that choice. Not the most versatile for other purposes a .243 might be put to though.

For my part I've spotlighted roos with a 6x42 (not a Leupold) and various 3-9x40 scopes, and they do the job. The better the glass the easier the job becomes. FWIW I've only once used an illuminated reticle for the purpose, and soon switched it off.

Last edited by dan_oz; 10/06/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I wonder how many contributions to this thread are from people who have ever shot a roo?

The usual method is from a vehicle, at night, under a spotlight, and the conditions on the permit require headshots. For many years the preferred option for the purpose amongst the pro shooters (who shoot roos literally by the truckload) has been a good 8x56, and there's a lot to recommend that choice. Not the most versatile for other purposes a .243 might be put to though.

For my part I've spotlighted roos with a 6x42 (not a Leupold) and various 3-9x40 scopes, and they do the job. The better the glass the easier the job becomes. FWIW I've only once used an illuminated reticle for the purpose, and soon switched it off.

I have not shot a roo and never will but what you are saying makes perfect sense.

Seems to me that if the glass quality is good enough to see the animal then merely seeing a lighted reticle isn,t going to help a thing.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my...now there's different kinds of "dark",upon different Hemispheres?!? Where and HOW do you Dumb Fhuqkers come up with this schit?

Cite the glass and reticle,that "ruined" your spotlighting. Yes I know,I know,you've never even seen or heard of the glass in question and do not "think",that such facts don't add more than a buncha fhuqking humor to the equation.

I wonder what would happen,if one where to meld said reticle and it's 10 brightness setting rheostat,with say a modest 65 Lumen LED...for things that go bump in the night?!?

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

You Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks are a hoot!

Do tell about these various 6x42's and 3-9x 40's and their reticles that bypass Illumination in their inherent abilities.

I assure you,it WILL get even fhuqking funnier yet.

Wow +P!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bcraig

I have not shot a roo ...

It is obvious from some of the posts in this thread that you aren't alone in that wink

Mind you, I'm no pro-shooter either. I've probably only shot some hundreds of them myself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Leupold 6x42

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have run 1000+ rounds through .473" boltguns on numerous days. Am more than a touch comfy in having accrued more round count than everyone bolted together and have just might seen a scope or two.

I'll feign my "surprise" that the various 6x42's and 3-9x "particulars" are a whole fhuqking bunch more than vague.

Hell...I doubt if I've shot much than 100 6x42's and in the lowest of light,the Variable Fixed Fhuqker Illuminati blows 'em all outta the fhuqking water.

Hint.....................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Variable Fixed Fhuqker Illuminati is on the list for eval. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
glazer,

I've had a couple Leupo 6x42 and like them for several reasons. They are generally "bright" compared to scopes of similar price range as JB has noted in his low light scope evals. But even so, it pales in comparison to even low to midrange binos. In many situations such as dusk, or in dark timber with lowlight the 6x42 is still lacking, even if better than average.

One of the "brightest" scopes I've used was a Kahles 2-7x. It was literally like night vision compared to anything else. Exit pupil is a factor, number of lenses, quality of lenses. I think we sometimes get wrapped up in objective size, magnification, and brand but I suspect that lenses can also be tailored to wavelengths so that some scopes actually do better than others in low light even if the "numbers" don't say its so.

Based on Stick's review, it seems like the 4x SWFA has similar low light performance PLUS the lit reticle which allows for aiming w/o ruining night vision.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/09/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
Leupold 6x42.

Great scope.

The first response is most always the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Have run 1000+ rounds through .473" boltguns on numerous days. Am more than a touch comfy in having accrued more round count than everyone bolted together and have just might seen a scope or two.

I'll feign my "surprise" that the various 6x42's and 3-9x "particulars" are a whole fhuqking bunch more than vague.

Hell...I doubt if I've shot much than 100 6x42's and in the lowest of light,the Variable Fixed Fhuqker Illuminati blows 'em all outta the fhuqking water.

Hint.....................

So the short ( no pun intended whistle ) version is, you're a Tasco/Simmons Kind of Guy?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite part of this thread is the recommendation of scopes that can't be exported from the US (SWFA SS) to a shooter in Oz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4th,

Ordered another Illuminati yesterday,for a K-Hornet/35V-Max Rut Knocker(form loads...as I save the 32 version of same,for Formed cases). Nice that the windshield alone,reliably grants more "up" than a 1" Reupold coughs up on it's erector,after zero.

I reckon it'll reap a minimum of 30 Mils remaining on the erector,with a 150yd zero and that'll allow the 900yd line all in. Pard had one my Annie 54's out to the 725yd line the other day and set the MQ hook on himself.

Have a SAAMI 223 Montucky with a used up spout getting rebarreled currently and it'll be a contour duped 1-8" Bart' nipped at 18.5" and chambered no-turn 6-45 and slated expressly to 105's. Thinkin' it'll wear an Illuminati too and will be a Wicked Slippery Sleeper of the highest magnitude.

Hope to have it back for Rutdom,but my barrel guy was on vacation and won't have the spout shipped out until net week. Generally only have to wait a day or two on a build,but the Mail do linger at this time of year.

Be nice to break it in on a Booner....................

'down,

I've prolly seen a Reupold 6x42 or two................(grin)

Shefire,

Always a hoot,when you flaunt your Imagination and it's Pretend,wrapped soundly within your Do Nothing Dumbfhuqkery.

I don't feel compelled to apologize for owning more glass than you could begin to fathom..but "luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend remain priced so you can afford to "contribute" too.

Don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..................

'goat,

My favorite part is a Whining Kchunt being two-blocked,with getting a gawddamned scope in the fhuqking Mail.

No need to reiterate all the fhuqking things you can't do. Who chews your food for you? PLEASE tell yourself,there isn't any MIL/MIL glass Down Under.

Laughing!

Wow +P+......................

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.