Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I received my new 7-08 from a well known builder with a 1/4" guarantee a few months ago. So far I have ran 1 box of factory ammo through it & 23 140 Sierra fb with 41.0 gr of IMR 4350. Except for a single 1/2" group it is a 11/2" rifle.

I plan to try Varget, 145 Speer Hot Cores, 150 partations & 150 Sierra BTs.

It has a new Zeiss Conquest on it with double dovetail Leupold mounts. I don't think the scope is bad but if 1 of the above loads I' trade out the scope for a proven German Zeiss.

If it doesn't shoot the 150 Sierras should I take it back or try all the above loads?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For precision trials use Sierras, Ballistic Tips, Classic Hunter Bergers, or AMaxes.

If you're really looking to shoot 1/4" groups you should get a handle on runout of the loaded rounds.

What format is the rifle? A 1/4" guarantee is pretty strong for a sporter.

With a sporter I doubt I'm a 1/4" shooter no matter how good the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like another McWhorter claim.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
For precision trials use Sierras, Ballistic Tips, Classic Hunter Bergers, or AMaxes.

If you're really looking to shoot 1/4" groups you should get a handle on runout of the loaded rounds.

With a sporter I doubt I'm a 1/4" shooter no matter how good the rifle.

The rifle with scope & a #3 Lilja barrel weighs just under 8#, I do not expect 1/4" groups, I will be happy if it will shoot steady 1/2-3/4 groups if I do my part. I have had several Jarrett rifles, none would constantly hold sub 3/4" groups.

This is the first time I have used this builder. The rifle is well made & was built on time, hopefully it just wants a 150 gr bullet but it's the first 7mm I have ever owned that would not shoot Sierra 140gr spritzers.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 10/10/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First of all you have ZERO chance of claim in Court.

Secondly your claim needs clarification"

Except for a single 1/2" group it is a 11/2" rifle.

I don't even Understand.

Your SO CALLED guarantee needs to be established in a court of law.

There is NO help available. sorry!

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe

I don't even Understand.

You are so stupid.

The OP said nothing about going to court.

The smart business man will take care of his customer without the need for lawyers.

GAH,

Some rifles just don't like certain bullets. I'd try the bullets recommended by Mathman, each with a few different powders and see if I hit something it liked. If I didn't have any luck after that, I'd feel comfortable sending it back to the smith.

Good Luck.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/10/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I received my new 7-08 from a well known builder with a 1/4" guarantee a few months ago. So far I have ran 1 box of factory ammo through it & 23 140 Sierra fb with 41.0 gr of IMR 4350. Except for a single 1/2" group it is a 11/2" rifle.

Two points: 1. - you have hardly tried it yet; 2 different loads isn't much of a test though sometimes you can get lucky.

2. - You need to find out what loads or ammo your rifle was proofed with. If it was guaranteed, not just a general "potential probability" deal. If it was actually guaranteed, the tester of said rifle should be able to provide the target along with pertaining info about the load.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I don't even Understand.

I needed that, thanks willy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Roscoe.

Me Too laugh

The complainant is seeking advice about a supposed performance guarantee.

He has two recourses:

#1. Enforce performance guarantee. If actual and in writing.

#2. See other remedy.

The evidence that he has posted is not even anything cogent that I can understand.

So to wrap this up lets explore the options and come up with a cogent solution help this fellow shooter.

He asked a legitimate question and he deserves a legitimate answer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I don't even Understand.

Good grief!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems early. Did the smith provide more instructions?

For instance did he mention that stock screw tension is to be checked by you or only adjusted by him?

If there are no specifics then check all scope mount screws starting with the bases and the stock screws.

While a 1/4" group at 100 yds is excellent I demand that a hunting rifle stay sighted in and save 1/4" groups for target rifles.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman

It's pretty strong, period. I'd ask the smith what load he used, including all the components and the OAL to shoot the 1/4 inch group before he sent it to you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Two of our finest offering solid advice.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
...find out what loads or ammo your rifle was proofed with...If it was actually guaranteed, the tester of said rifle should be able to provide the target along with pertaining info about the load.

This. If the builder didn't know enough to send you this, well...

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
It is obvious that some of you have never had a rifle built. I have not even talked to the builder about my accuracy problems , I was simply asking for advice, I expect the builder to make the rifle right which he will. I use 3 name builders and none of them have ever proofed or even fired a rifle they build for me but on 1 occasion the rifle wouldn't shoot to standard, the builder looked at the bedding fixed it and the rifle is a .5-.75" rifle now.

As I said in the original post I do NOT expect a 8# rifle with a 3x9 scope, using hunting bullets to shoot 1/4" groups but I expect a $3,000 rifle to shoot .5-.75" groups constantly.

I will NOT sue the builder under any circumstances, they make a quality product and will make it right. As most of you know there is a world of difference between a 1.5" rifle and a .75" rife.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 10/10/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try Varget and the Nosler 140 gr BT. Most 7MM-08 will group their best with this combo.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
It is obvious that some of you have never had a rifle built. I have not even talked to the builder about my accuracy problems , I was simply asking for advice, I expect the builder to make the rifle right which he will. I use 3 name builders and none of them have ever proofed or even fired a rifle they build for me ...

I've never put that much money into one, but every rifle I've had barreled and 'improved' has always been fired by the builder, though not necessarily tested for accuracy - though that has sometimes been an option if I wanted to pay the extra that such work entails. I have loaned my dies for ammo-making such that a rifle can be tested when it isn't a caliber that they normally produce. I know the builders I have worked with have always stated that their work - if they have had control (gotten paid for) factors such as truing, etc, should produce sub-MOA accuracy if I load good ammo and seek to find loads that the rifle likes. I don't think anybody (builder) has the hubris to suggest that a person could pull loads off the shelf or out of a book at random and shoot 1/4 MOA or even 1 MOA groups consistently.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow! Doesn't take long to get people riled up.

I have all "cheap" rifles that shoot easily under one inch and are capable of better when I do my part right. My only quasi-custom rifle is a Savage 7 mag that a buddy put a Criterion barrel on.

An expensive, custom rifle should shoot as claimed, IF the shooter is doing his part of the equation correctly.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never seen 1 1/2" loads get better with more shooting. Not sure why I'd have slung 43 rounds downrange in hopes of them doing something better.

Seems like you're chasing your tail a bit. I'm not one that cares what something will do with 47 different bullets, pick the one you want to hunt with, kiss and work backwards from there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If the builder guarantees 1/4" accuracy then they should have tested it out to make sure it delivers that, which should include load data and target info.

My 7.5 scoped custom does under 1/2" @ 100 with three different loads I've tried with a simple 6x scope. Before he sent it to me he broke it in and proved its accuracy, shooting under 1/2" with factory ammo and a 12x scope.

I'd contact the builder about what they used to prove accuracy, go that route, and if it doesn't deliver send it back for work till it does.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.