Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How did I miss this. Ordered some books as well. Now im gonna be up all night going back thru the old issues of RLN

Thanks I guess.

Charles

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just did the same, along with two of their books. Skimming the most recent issue of RLN it looks to be well worth the $8.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, guys!

Have to mention that a couple years ago a RLN subscriber mentioned that we'd been doing it for 5 years, and should put together a paper version. This baffled us, since as you noticed ALL the issues are there on the website when anybody subscribes. But he wanted to take it to deer camp, where there wasn't any Internet service.

So we asked other subscribers what they thought, and so many said YEAH! One mentioned his wife getting weary of the stack of ratty print-outs in the bathroom.

We went ahead and printed about half as many copies as we usually do for most books. They sold so quickly we almost immediately had to reprint, and more than half the people who order one also subscribe to RLN. One of our friends said his copy is his standard bedtime reading, because it has whatever he's in the mood for.

We were astonished, but it's just another indication that print isn't dead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, are we up to year 10 yet so we can get
"Edition, the second"

Geno
PS, check will be in the mail in the morning for two "gacks" and a re-up on RLN. It's already in the envelope and stamped.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I just renewed my membership; looking forward to getting caught up on the back-issues! grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/11/15.
IC B2

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Skimmed all the back issues last night, lots of great stuff there. Looking forward to ordering the books for Christmas.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

Just finished Year 7, so it's gonna be a while before RLN: The Second Five Years appears.

And boy is Eileen happy about that. Aside from putting together my handloading book this year, she had to make some changes in three of our older books that needed to be reprinted. She feels like she spent most of the year reading the same four books, over and over, looking for needed revisions!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't it wonderful to have been blessed with the luck to marry good women? (or was it skill due to our observational prowess, honed by years in the game fields?)

I'll wait a few more years then. Hopefully that will come to pass so I have something to read in my retirement then!

Geno

PS, I think I hear some quail calling and the season is open. A short walk across the road or a very short drive down the road ans perhaps I'll be "skillful" enough to bag a couple for dinner. NO dog though, so I hope they don't end up in the MIDDLE of the blackberry thicket.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I did get lucky with Eileen, but didn't marry her until after my "practice marriage," as somebody once called it. But she turned out to be even better than I realized, which is indeed luck.

We've been working too dang hard on writing stuff, but are done with most of that now. Have hunted some this fall (including a great waterfowl trip to Alberta) but are hitting the upland birds hard from now until November, when we'll be spending most of our time looking for bigger-antlered deer and elk. But even then will steal some time for ruffed grouse and pheasants.

Sorry to hear about no dog. Our relatively young female choclate Lab is having a good time learning....

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got my first quail of the year today. I had to track it down three times. It was the first bird to come up and I took the shot, looked unscathed but I watched it "land". It didn't look hit, but something didn't look right.
A couple others came up but not where I could shoot. So I did the due diligence, "sportsmanlike" thing and went to where I had marked it. No feathers or such but I searched around kicking bushes for 5 mins or so, no luck. Just as I was getting ready to give up I saw him running but too close to "swat" as I wanted something left to eat. Too much brush too. This went on 3 or 4 more times. Finally he got a bit further out in a patch of grass so I shot again and managed to get him.

Sure wished I had a good dog to take care of those issues and also to hold them a bit better. They were flushing out of range alot today. I managed to get one bird for five shells, not too bad of a bargain for me. He'll ("rooster CA quail) eat good on the grill tomorrow.

Here's wishing your new girl exceeds expectations.

Geno

PS, I had a practice marriage or two. Fortunately for me, those ones came like some dogs do...... with no papers!

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/12/15. Reason: PS

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have to mention that a couple years ago a RLN subscriber mentioned that we'd been doing it for 5 years, and should put together a paper version. This baffled us, since as you noticed ALL the issues are there on the website when anybody subscribes.

I don't like or enjoy reading articles or books on the computer. My wife and teenagers feel the same. My 16 year-old says reading on electronics are too bright and give a headache. He hates the new e-text books that schools are going to.

When, the new RLN comes out, I print it out so I can enjoy reading in bed. Having a nice bound book instead of all those faded printouts is great! So, thank you!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. Have an e-reader that I read books on occasionally, but I read a lot of history books and am always wanting to page back to check on something, and it's a PITA electronically. Plus I want to make notes in the margin, and mark the place for future reference, which doesn't work on a screen!

John Steinbeck
T
T
Be careful of ordering those books, guys. Once you read one, you won't be satisfied until you read them all. Trust me, I know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.