24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I met a guy who has a Pudelpointer... it sounds like a great breed. Just don't know much about them. He told me they don't shed... wow that is a real plus with the wife! I am wanting a dog for upland hunting, mostly chukar... Your comments please. Thanks! Outdoorguy62

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first one is supposed to be born next weekend! I wanted a dog for upland and waterfowl, my wife wanted one that was a low shedder. I tried to talk her into a Drahthaar, but after looking a pics she picked the Pudelpointer. Here's a pic of my soon to be pup's dad:
[Linked Image]

Mom is much smoother coated, but we're hoping of a 'wooly' one.

Quite a few breeders of them in chukar country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
My first one is supposed to be born next weekend! I wanted a dog for upland and waterfowl, my wife wanted one that was a low shedder. I tried to talk her into a Drahthaar, but after looking a pics she picked the Pudelpointer. Here's a pic of my soon to be pup's dad:
[Linked Image]

Mom is much smoother coated, but we're hoping of a 'wooly' one.

Quite a few breeders of them in chukar country.

If your pup comes out anything like dad you'll have a great looking friend.

And I have to say thanks a bunch guys for making me have a harder time decision making when I retire in a few years. I'm hoping to be in the market then for an "all around" type dog, our whippets just don't hold birds very well grin. I've been considering a Drahthaar also, and just for the naysayers, hunting poodles. I've even thought about looking into a Clumber spaniel but think they'd not do so much all around work.

Thanks to the OP too , for starting this one off.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are considering a PP, there are a some kennels with very good reputations in your part of the country.

http://pudelpointer.org/Breeders.html

Here's where I started my research on the breeds that would meet my needs. I too was wanting an all-around dog.
http://www.navhda.org/registry/versatile-hunting-dog-breeds

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Valsdad,

Take a look at the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I started out looking at DD and a client introduced me the the SNENAVDA club in Connecticut. I joined and the only guy without a dog! Lots of Griff's in the club.

My purpose is similar, I want to work 3 days a week vs 5 in two years and get a dog that will hunt upland, ducks and geese.

I want to ensure I have make the time for myself and the dog. My son will also take part in the training excercises.

I did run into a cross between a PP and a Lab down in Rhode Island this summer - lots off PP, chest of a lab, great disposition.

I am still between a DD and Griff.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1. All dogs shed. Some more than others
2. In most cases, breeding is more important than breed, and good breedings are not inexpensive. Find a pup from proven parents from a reputable breeder who understands all the common health issues of your chosen breed and does all the appropriate tests. For example, in Labs, you would want at least hips,elbows, eyes EIC and CNM testing done. And by proven, I mean in tests or trials appropriate to the breed, not just someone's opinion that the parents are "great huntin' dogs".
Research,research,research. This is hopefully a 14-year commitment and a new member of the family. You want to make an informed choice.

OP Offline
Thanks guys for all the responses... I too was interested in the Drahthaar... But they are known for being aggressive towards other dogs. The fellow who told me about his PP said they were very calm and non-aggressive. Any comments on the Pudel Pointers temperament? We are a two dog family and getting along with the other dogs is very important to us. Thanks again for the input! Outdoorguy62

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by abbydog
Valsdad,

Take a look at the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I started out looking at DD and a client introduced me the the SNENAVDA club in Connecticut. I joined and the only guy without a dog! Lots of Griff's in the club.

My purpose is similar, I want to work 3 days a week vs 5 in two years and get a dog that will hunt upland, ducks and geese.

I want to ensure I have make the time for myself and the dog. My son will also take part in the training excercises.

I did run into a cross between a PP and a Lab down in Rhode Island this summer - lots off PP, chest of a lab, great disposition.

I am still between a DD and Griff.

Thanks abby,

I've looked into those Griffons online also. Not sure where I'll end up, but in a few years(hopefully only about 3.5), I'll get to make a decision.

I told the wife when we were first going together I eventually wanted 27 dogs...
A man needs a couple of labs, chessies, or some such water dogs, one trained, the other learning,
A man needs a few scent hounds for running stuff.
A man could always use a a good upland dog with w/ a learner in the background like the water digs.
A man would enjoy two or so of the sighthound variety for chasing down fast critters. And just to watch them run like they were "designed". (nothing quite like our whippets in full flight)
A man could always use a coupla beagle dogs for bunnies.
A man needs a watch/guard dog or two around the homestead.
And a man should not forget the joys of a lapdog and its companion.

Am I up to 27 yet guys?

Can't tell I like can't live without dogs in my life, can ya'? wink

Geno

PS, good luck with your dogs everyone. Enjoy your hunts this year and always

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 36 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.