Campfire Tracker
R
Catching chubs for catfish bait....

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check to see if there are any fly fishing clubs in your local area. In my experience the club members are enthusiastic to help a new member in their ranks. YMMV but there were more offers from members to take me fishing than I had time to fish. Welcome to fly fishing. Best wishes.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm much like you in that I have fished since I was very young but wanted to try flyfishing. I fish for sunfish a lot and fly fishing lends itself to that very well. I bought a used cheap reel and a cheap 8' 5wt rod about 5 or 6 years ago and went to town. It came pretty easy for basic casting and roll casts but when I wanted to learn more I went to youtube. I would like to take a class and one day I probably will. I have more trouble mending line in steep mountain streams than casting.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would suggest you look at some introductory lessons. Good places to look would be at local orvis outlets, community college adult Ed classes, YMCA , etc. as someone said a basic course will get you off on the right foot and like golf its best if you don't have to do unlearn bad habits.
I would also suggest buying a decent matched outfit from someplace like Cabelas , LL Bean, Orvis, reddington et al. These run about $120 for a 81/2 or. 9 ft 5wt or 6 wt and will get you a good outfit to learn on . Even if you upgrade later these will be good outfits to keep handy in your car trunk , truck or cabin.
I have a friend that hosts a lot of dove and deer hunts , and recently he hosted a intoductory fly class at his farm give by a local pro. He didn't have a rod so I ordered him a 6wt outfit from LL Bean as a thank you for all the invites and it turned out to be a nice outfit.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/11/15.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 72nd birthday is coming up in a few weeks; still learning. Just caught my first fish on a fly in June: 24" rainbow trout!

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is a heck of a start!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I'll say that is a heck of a start.. Hope it gets better..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on out to Montana and I will give you free instruction. It is too complex to figure out on your own...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a most excellent fly fishing forum here:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/
...with separate forums for virtually every aspect of fly fishing. A very likable bunch.

Fished for a few weeks with a friend who has a home in Utah, this past June/July. He has many years of fly fishing experience, so was a terrific guide and mentor.

My biggest fish, so far, on a fly: 26" carp that took over 1/2 hour to bring to net, on a 5wt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very good casting clinic. Scroll down to middle of page; click on video links.
file:///C:/Users/andy/Downloads/JOAN%20WOLF%20R.L.%20Winston%20Rod%20Co.%20_%20Video%20_%20Instructional%20Videos%20(1).htm

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yikes, those flyrods are not made to hold the shaft like that with a fish on. You are lucky your rod didn't shatter where you were holding it with your right hand...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yikes, those flyrods are not made to hold the shaft like that with a fish on. You are lucky your rod didn't shatter where you were holding it with your right hand...

And graphite in your hand sucks. Stop that. eek

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I get that a lot from that photo. smile Truly a tribute to a very early Orvis 2-pc graphite 5wt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A buddy of mine who kills em every time we go out, which has been one too many years now. He also got me going on bamboo rods and now my favorite set up is a cane 8.5-ft 5 or 6-wt. I always tell people who are starting that in order of importance it's the line, rod and then the reel. Get good line as you will never learn to cast with cheap crappy stuff. Cortland 444 double taper is my go to line, but Scientific Angler makes a decent low end line for around 25-bucks. Get a rod that works, one with enough backbone to throw the line, and use any old reel for starting. Remember, all the reel does is hold your line. I like the older American made Pflugers, preferably the 1494 1/2. Best of luck.

Last edited by S99VG; 11/29/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Self taught since 1974. Been tying flies since then too. Most addictive past time I have found although wing-shooting is a close second.

I was living in Newfoundland at the time, walking distance to some fun brook trout streams and a really cool pond. Actually had a small creek across the road from school. Was easy to be late for classes but the principle always knew where to find us! Could bike to a decent salmon river a few miles from home.

I spent many hours casting to very cooperative brookies and the odd salmon felt sorry enough for me that I kept at it. It is now the only way I fish, with only flies I have tied, not to elite but because it is a blast!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.