Print Thread
Hop To
C
cazman Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Does anyone know if a SA Lightweight BLR balances near the center like my Win 94? I went to buy a new Browning BAR and was surprised how muzzle heavy it was. I really dislike carrying rifles that balance like that and I cannot find a BLR to handle.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won't say that the BLR balances just like a 94 Win but I'll say that my BLR in 358 Win is my go to rifle in the brush.

It's light and nimble in the hands and seems to come right up on target quickly for me. Very fast shooting as well.

You'll have to handle one to see for yourself. I like the looks of the pistol grip version but it was the traditional straight grip that felt best for me.

Dan

C
cazman Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
yea, I am thinking that it must be better than that BAR.

Thanks

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I love the feel and balance of my .358 BLR. Very solid piece. Balances well for me, feels great in the hand. I did put a raised cheek pad (levergunleather.com),on it to get my eye inline with the scope to get a solid cheek weld, and that made a nice difference in the feel of shooting it. Worked well enough to put a 225 Nosler Partition through a bull moose at 220 yards 2 weeks ago. I used a fork stick for a rest, but it put the bullet exactly where I wanted it.
One of the best trades I ever made.

John

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
C
cazman Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Pistol grip?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No, straight stock.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a lower powered variable on my BLR. A Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32. I use medium Ded Nutz mounts and don't have any issues with cheek weld. But scope and mount selection as well a one's physical build and shooting stance can make a difference there.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The BAR is muzzle heavy because it has that big steel gas block hanging on the barrel out there near the end of the forearm. I don't know about the alloy BLR rifles but my old steel frame short action BLR '81 with their light profile barrels and straight grip does balance about like the M94's or M336 lever guns.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The short action BLR (I have a Lightning pistol grip 243) balances at the magazine. My old Marlin 30 balanced about the same place _when empty_. Once the tubular magazine was loaded, the balance point shifted forward. The BLR's balance doesn't shift.

C
cazman Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Makes sense with the BAR. Does not make it easy to carry for me.

Good point on the BLR not changing balance, because there is no tube. Right at the magazine is just where I would like it. I went to three stores this weekend. No one had a BLR.

IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Prob'ly doesn't help you, but Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix has a straight-grip one. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mine is straight grip .358, and I love the balance. I'd much rather carry it than anything else in the safe on a "walking hunt".

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
F
F
My "pregnant" '72 243 balances right at the magazine even though it drops below the bottom of the receiver. It still carries well when I don't use a sling & I have thought of trying to modify a later magazine to fit flush, but several people have said it won't work or tried it already so I will probably just let it go. It could easily be the one gun I would own if I had to own just one but It has never let me down. Keep it clean and lubed and you should not have to get into the mechanics of it. I like the fit and way it feels when shooting, some guns just work with you and this one does for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I won't say that the BLR balances just like a 94 Win but I'll say that my BLR in 358 Win is my go to rifle in the brush.

It's light and nimble in the hands and seems to come right up on target quickly for me. Very fast shooting as well.

You'll have to handle one to see for yourself. I like the looks of the pistol grip version but it was the traditional straight grip that felt best for me.

Dan

This mirrors my experience as well. The SA BLRs really fit me well and pointed like a dream, not muzzle heavy at all.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just checked my long action pistol grip .270 Win BLR with Vortex 3-9x40 scope and it balances exactly in the middle of the magazine. I love the handling of this rifle.

CC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.