Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It surprise me that he'd just walk away mid season. I'd like to know the rest of the story.

SOme scuttlebutt is that he is frustrated trying to coach the current era of entitled and over hyped 18-19 year olds. The ones that have a press conference and select from a handful of caps to dramatize accepting a scholarship to play football at a school.

Whatever the reason, football will be diminished without The Old Ball Coach.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30244254/sources-south-carolina-head-coach-spurrier-retiring

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hatari
It surprise me that he'd just walk away mid season. I'd like to know the rest of the story.

SOme scuttlebutt is that he is frustrated trying to coach the current era of entitled and over hyped 18-19 year olds. The ones that have a press conference and select from a handful of caps to dramatize accepting a scholarship to play football at a school.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30244254/sources-south-carolina-head-coach-spurrier-retiring

That sounds about right. That mentality has filtered its way down to the high school level too. bunch of phugin prima donnas....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
believe this played a part

from another article

Spurrier, fed up with the age questions and critics suggesting that his best coaching days were behind him, went on the offensive before the season.

"We were 11-2 and ranked fourth in the country this time a year ago, and nobody said a damn word about my age," Spurrier said. "Now, a year later, I'm suddenly too old, and we're on our way down.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
believe this played a part

from another article

Spurrier, fed up with the age questions and critics suggesting that his best coaching days were behind him, went on the offensive before the season.

"We were 11-2 and ranked fourth in the country this time a year ago, and nobody said a damn word about my age," Spurrier said. "Now, a year later, I'm suddenly too old, and we're on our way down.

I tell ya man, this college ball is a cut throat business. Your only as good as last weeks game. There seems to be no loyalty to the program anymore.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
From the Press Conference

Earlier, Spurrier explained in a refreshing candor not often heard from head football coaches, that he was hurting the program and that by going now, the sooner the school could start their next chapter.

"I find that [coaching until the end of the season] doesn't work out a lot. If the players know that you are not going to be the coach after such-and-such a time, you just don't have the accountability, I think. And also, it gives us a chance to hire an interim head coach ... gives him a chance to make his mark for these next six games. And I think the team needs to hear a new message, a new voice, from another coach, and [interim coach Sean Elliot] is going to do that ... it gives us a little time to start rebuilding. Yesterday I was sort of a recruiting liability. It is hard to recruit when your coach has done it a long time and at a certain age the recruits want to know that guy is going to be there 5-10 years from now. With a new coach here, I really think it is going to pick up recruiting ... this is the best thing for South Carolina football, for our university to start another building process."

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

That sounds about right. That mentality has filtered its way down to the high school level too. bunch of phugin prima donnas....

Amen to that!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Amen to that!

i blame Under Armor

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
... "We were 11-2 and ranked fourth in the country this time a year ago, and nobody said a damn word about my age," Spurrier said. "Now, a year later, I'm suddenly too old, and we're on our way down.
[/quote]

Make it last year we were 4-1 at this time, and this year we're 5-0 and you could ascribe it to Peyton Manning.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of the best offensive minds "EVER" in college football. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having to deal with all those spoiled brats and thugs was seriously cutting into his golf time! grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good riddance. I never will forget what he said when he left Florida to coach in the pros.

It went something like this- "I dont see any difference coaching college and pro football".

Got his azz handed to him in the pros (12-20). Let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird azz!

He didnt even "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach." do as good as , Lying Nick Satan, uh, Saban (15-17).

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
:Look a the ownership of the Redskins. That organization is beyond help with that leadership.

Pete Carol flopped his first stint in the NFL, but looks pretty savvy right now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (338reddog, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.