Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powdr:

Don't be intimidated by all of the language and aspects. To separate things out the Guys are talking here about TWO different aspects:

#1. Internal ballistics. Quick Load is very advanced internal ballistic, inside the case and barrel.

#2. External ballistics deals with velocity of bullet, bullet drop, range.

I think that since you sound like you want it simple and economical you will want to go the external ballistics route.

There are tons of external ballistic programs all over the internet free. Everyone and his brother has one. I lost count long ago at how many I had and some are quite good.
Lots of bullet manufacturer have them on their websites.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
I have not worried so much with actual velocity being consistent with QL, I use it to predict a max pressure and work up to the powder charge as if I used a load manual, plus a chrony.

On the shot start pressure, I use the QL guideline, 3625 psi for jacketed +7200 psi for touching the lands.

Thanks.

I'll chrono the loads, if the velocity is close, I'll assume pressure is.

The only case type I've had a hard time with predictions are big, straight-walled ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr
Dang, yall got me scared to death. All of the measurements, how far off the lands, did you do a chamber cast, primer brisance...hell I'm just going to do it the old way and save my money. If I need to know ballistics I'll just use HuntigNut. powdr

It takes just a few minutes to weigh a few bullets for average, and the same to measure. Ditto for water capacity.

A cheap electronic scale helps with that quite a bit.

I bet if you bought it and started to experiment with it, you'd like it.

But it does not replace good, published data.

What led me to use it was experimenting with extended seating of heavier bullets in the .44 mag, to take advantage of the longer cylinder lengths in my SuperRedhawk, Redhawk, and SuperBlackhawk. I didn't want to exceed SAAMI pressure.

After a baseline run for burn rate on powder, I was able to find reasonable loads using VV N110 and W296.

I've had several predictions come very close, the closest being a .30-06 load with AA2495, QL said 2836 fps, Oehler 35 said 2838 fps.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
PRM, with Quickload, the measurements you use must be accurate. The default database is very rarely that.

Bullet length, weight, bearing surface, ect., all need to be measured, as well as the case capacity in grains of water. The distance to lands are important, and I enter that as my OAL. That would be OAL measured to the tip of the bullet if it were to touch the lands.

If you've slugged the bore, those measurements help.

It has no means of accounting for primer brisance. I will adjust burn rate of the powder once I get some chrono data.

I have found it to be pretty accurate with bottleneck rifle cases and pistol sized straight walled cases, but it's all over the place with big straight walled cases and will predict pressure high. The "fudge factor" (I add 3.2 to 7 percent case capacity) I use changes a bit with weight of bullet, with heavier bullets requiring less adjustment. Obviously this requires chrono data to do the adjusting, but as time goes by I'm getting more data to base an initial prediction on.

I do measure everything including water capacity. The only difference is I have used actual OAL vice the OAL if it were touching. I'll give it a try.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For external ballistics noting I found beats Ballistic Explorer. Unlike anything else out there they keep adding features and once you purchase you can upgrade for free, which is what I've been doing for 10 years now. Lots of unique features you won't find anywhere else and the windows app interface is still way ahead of any smart phone or browser interface.

For those on the fence you can download Ballistic Explorer and try it for free, and the entire user manual and tutorials are on-line. You know exactly what you're getting before you buy.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.