Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I wandered into a small gunshop in a far flung corner of this land and happened to find an 1899 in their collection of used guns for sale. I gave it a look over and only recall the following details... didn't think it appropriate to snap pics in the shop...

DOM seems to be 1911 (serial# 1122XX)

Did not inspect or measure the barrel, sights were basic leaf style.

Forearm was an original slim Schnabel style, butt-stock was flawless - looked like a replacement.

It was drilled for a scope. Has a bronze rotor in the magazine.

Overall it was nice enough, but didn't strike me as a highly desirable collector given the D&T and new buttstock. I am not a fan of shooting the 30/30, but I may just pick it up and pass it on anyway...

Should this gun be of interest or is it a 'least desirable' model?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy it and shoot it- you may change your mind about the .30-30.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No collector value at all from what you describe, but might be a fun range gun or hunting run.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might be the best truck gun ever

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rear stock should be a perch belly , was barrel round or octagnal?. what % blue, saddle ring or not ?????????

need more info

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I failed to see a price.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No pic in shop.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
No pic in shop.

No, but I expect there was a price.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
No pic in shop.

No, but I expect there was a price.

OOPS, my bad. I was reading that without my glasses. Thought it said no pic. I'd like to see a price too, kinda makes a difference when trying to decide to buy or not, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Makes ALL the difference. $299 and it would go home with me. $1299 and it would continue to gather dust on the gun store rack.

Neither situation would surprise me around here.

Last edited by gregintenn; 10/16/15.
IC B3

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Sorry I have been hunting and moving house...

The barrel was round, not Octo, bluing was original, nice aged patina with wear marks on the edges of handling areas. I don't recall if it was a perch belly. As above the butt stock was too unmarked to be original and not quite a match to the fore arm.

Price was $500 cdn.

I will ask if they can take a few pics for me.

Did some reading on 30/30 cal, and it is not as bad as I recall with some of the more modern factory ammo. It should do quite well with 170 gr NP's.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I asked the owner to send me a few pictures...

Thoughts? Worth $500?

Savage 1899

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not even close. D&T, non original sights, oddball butt. Let it be.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're looking for a good old knockaround gun, it'll serve the purpose- if it has nice bore. It is trying hard to be rated as even a "shooter grade" though. I feel such guns have a place in life, but not at that price. Not knowing what the exchange rate is, I wouldn't feel comfy in spending over $3-350 American, and then only if I have a couple of beers in me and I was feeling generous.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
thanks for the advice
I'll keep saving for another
EJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elchjager
Sorry I have been hunting and moving house...

The barrel was round, not Octo, bluing was original, nice aged patina with wear marks on the edges of handling areas. I don't recall if it was a perch belly. As above the butt stock was too unmarked to be original and not quite a match to the fore arm.

Price was $500 cdn.

I will ask if they can take a few pics for me.

Did some reading on 30/30 cal, and it is not as bad as I recall with some of the more modern factory ammo. It should do quite well with 170 gr NP's.

if your not interested go on to my stuff on top of page and send me the info shop name and phone no ,

thank you

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If you're looking for a good old knockaround gun, it'll serve the purpose- if it has nice bore. It is trying hard to be rated as even a "shooter grade" though. I feel such guns have a place in life, but not at that price. Not knowing what the exchange rate is, I wouldn't feel comfy in spending over $3-350 American, and then only if I have a couple of beers in me and I was feeling generous.

+1 Very well said

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
You can always cut the barrel down to 16" and make a awesome walking around gun. This one was sitting on the shelf at my gunship before I bought it. Always loved the marlin spikehorn and winchester trapper models so I wanted a 99 in one. [Linked Image]
At 100 yards I can shoot half dollars and apples [Linked Image]
First blood with it. [Linked Image]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
You can always cut the barrel down to 16" and make a awesome walking around gun. This one was sitting on the shelf at my gunship before I bought it. Always loved the marlin spikehorn and winchester trapper models so I wanted a 99 in one. [Linked Image]
At 100 yards I can shoot half dollars and apples [Linked Image]
First blood with it. [Linked Image]

I believe it's a 18 " min up here and you might as well grab an F or H which i have.

norm

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Mine was is a H it was so pitted that there no collector value left. And after sitting for a year it was meant to be mine. One of my favorite guns I own

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Sorry been away from this forum. Will let you know... Waiting on a response to my offer on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I paid $560 in 2007 for a 1904 30-30.
The bore is like new.
I have not shot it yet.

I have some Sav bolt and break action 30-30s I have not shot...yet.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Hammered out a fair price for this gun. Some minimal pitting in the barrel but previous owner says it shoots well.. on its way via Canada Post.
Might have to abuse the buttstock a little to make ti match the original front.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Might have to abuse the buttstock a little to make ti match the original front.

That's not the usual approach! Way to think outside the box!! smile

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is what is so cool about the 99. She shoots as well as she looks. A Grey squirrel still cracks a nut.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
So this old gun is all over the map. We couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards and the POI was different for each shot. Initially I thought that the barrel was too pitted and the crown too worn... however, I discovered the front post is so loose I could push it out without a drift punch. So the first course of action is to re mount and centre the sight with a punch and some loctite.
In the meantime I have noticed that my eyes are not doing so well with iron sights in general. Keeping everything in focus as well as centred on target seems to be guess work. Groups are embarrassingly large compared to how I do with my scoped guns...

So... I am considering adding some kind of optic improvement to this 1899. I had read that some older eyes were doing well with a tang sight... the longer sight radius was keeping things in focus for them. Given the cost of vintage tang sights - $275USD I thought maybe a new Marble at $120USD was better suited to this non-collector as well as my wallet. New Marble

Or, I could just get this vintage K4 as I am already drilled and tapped...
[Linked Image]

Thoughts?

Thx,
EJ

Last edited by elchjager; 02/29/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can't see the scope without being logged in.

I wouldn't pay any premium for a vintage scope for it. Since it's D&Ted you can use anything. I'd get the best glass for the bucks I wanted to spend and let it got at that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

So... I am considering adding some kind of optic improvement to this 1899. I had read that some older eyes were doing well with a tang sight... the longer sight radius was keeping things in focus for them.

Or, I could just get this vintage K4 as I am already drilled and tapped... Weaver K4

Thoughts?

Thx,
EJ

The longer sight radius when using a tang sight has nothing to do with focusing light. The aperture in a peep sight does the focusing, so to speak. The smaller the aperture, the sharper (but dimmer) the image- the same effect you get with a camera when you stop the lens down from f1.8 to f22, say. It increases your depth of field- more stuff is in focus over a longer distance.

There are a few ways to stay in the iron sight game with aging eyes. Bounce the problem off your optometrist the next time you see him. Also try the old trick of piercing a tiny hole in a piece of electricians tape and slap it on the lens of your shooting glasses in front of your dominant/shooting eye. The tiny hole will have the same effect as a the aforementioned aperture business- it'll sharpen the image of your sight picture.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/29/16.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Attached the picture...

$150 - I'd pay more than that for a new piece of glass...

Although not a collector, I like the idea of a period correct scope (wrong period, I know, but at least it is old looking) if only for the cool factor.

Great tip with the camera analogy - thank you!

Last edited by elchjager; 02/29/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your choice of course. If you go with a K4 make sure it is at least a 60B model with the centered reticle.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Put the scope idea on hold thought I would try a peep as per gnoahhh's suggestion.

I still can't figure out if this barrel is beyond hope, or if it is me... It will not print on paper at 25 yards.

I have seen Lyman, Marble and Williams online. Which is the best value? Don't want to put much $ into this if the barrel may be crap. Will Brownells or Midway ship to Canada? I know shipping optics are a no-no... what about a sight? Anyone with one to sell?

Can an 1899 be re-bored? any smiths in BC that can do it? I heard 35-30/30 is the only option... maybe re-barreled?

I may have to pass this one on to someone with more time and patience than I have.

[Linked Image]

Thx!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When you say "it won't print on paper at 25 yards", just exactly what do you mean? It won't group? It won't even hit the paper? It's hitting god-knows-where in a tight cluster but just not on the paper? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lyman, Marbles, Williams in about that order of desirability. Depending of course if it's a tang sight or receiver sight (in which case add Redfield in with Lyman), and how old it is. (Older the better, IMO, when it comes to tang sights.)

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Won't even hit the paper....
At first it was random, everywhere but the paper - until I discovered the loose front sight... so I re-centred and secured it. Now it is still 2 ft high, 2 ft left... can't really tell if it groups - was going to get it on paper first. I can't drift the front sight far enough over to get there so thought I would try a tang sight with some windage adjustment.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A tang sight like that will likely set you back $200+.

Something's rotten in Denmark here. I never encountered something that egregious in all my years of shooting. This is at 25 yards you say?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...any chance it's a 303, not 30-30? is the barrel loose? JES will rebore to 35 caliber, but You should really figure out what's going on before spending any big chunks of money on it.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not a big fan of the newer Williams peep sights, but they are windage adjustable and run about $120. For $50-$75 more I personally would look for an old Lyman 29 1/2, but it can take time to find that for that price.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
yep, 25 yards... definitely 30/30

Have thrown a red dot on it for a test and will see if I can get it to group on paper...

Here is the bore... looks rougher than I was led believe by the seller...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yip...that's pretty darn ruff!, still shouldn't make it a scattergun at 25 yds. definitely a candidate for rebore, or rebarrel

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,068 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.