-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You fellows have carved out,....maybe I should say RE-carved the legend, when it comes to slicks. Watching ya'll do this over the years has been a treat, for this dedicated fan of the grooved greaser.

Tempting , this whole PP slick game,....and I'd venture the LONG range edge.

You say Potterfield's loose at the seams,....hey, I'll buy that, I can't watch that "Rolling Block Build" of his without cringing, wincing and ducking.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never did understand why he bought Fajen, and then shut them down very shortly thereafter.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg twisted tails are something that came along, much the way drilling out flash holes to marginally safe diameters and using magnum primers came to us. Well intentioned, but mislead information from the past.
Even in the original Ideal handbook they tell how to properly wrap a bullet, describe the various thicknesses of paper etc.. In some ways its so very sad that we have urban myth stuff that has become the way the light and the truth, when in actual fact it's just wrong....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I watched Potterfield load ammo for a Roller on one of the TV hunting shows for a white tail hunt in south Texas. One of those ranches that had huge deer everywhere.

I thought I was going to see a proper deer shot with a proper rifle and a proper cartridge. Instead, late in the day, after a couple of blown chances, they finally got on one dumb enough to stand still long enough for Larry to get ready to shoot. Potterfield handed the roller to the guide and borrowed an available bolt gun because the deer had walked off enough that it was too far to shoot with the Roller. The distance? 140 yards. With a bolt gun.

I couldn't believe it. A fraud, and a shot that was a gimme. Broadside at 140 yards, and he can't shoot a Roller well enough to kill a deer at 140 yards? That was the day I quit buying anything from Midway.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, at least I have something on old Larry, two hundred yards, with some greasers as well though. I STILL can't roll to save my life... frown

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Compressed powder:

[Linked Image]Compressed powder by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Inserting the OPW:

[Linked Image]Seating the OPW by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Seating lube cookie into case:

[Linked Image]Inserting lube cookie by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Breaking the air lock:

[Linked Image]Breaking air lock by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Ready for bullet insertion:

[Linked Image]Seated wad atop lube cookie! by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Maybe 'Larry' will see this and learn something!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I watched Potterfield load ammo for a Roller on one of the TV hunting shows for a white tail hunt in south Texas. One of those ranches that had huge deer everywhere.

I thought I was going to see a proper deer shot with a proper rifle and a proper cartridge. Instead, late in the day, after a couple of blown chances, they finally got on one dumb enough to stand still long enough for Larry to get ready to shoot. Potterfield handed the roller to the guide and borrowed an available bolt gun because the deer had walked off enough that it was too far to shoot with the Roller. The distance? 140 yards. With a bolt gun.

I couldn't believe it. A fraud, and a shot that was a gimme. Broadside at 140 yards, and he can't shoot a Roller well enough to kill a deer at 140 yards? That was the day I quit buying anything from Midway.

Haven't bought anything from them in well over 10 years.
Just drifted over to their on-line "Catalogue" and checked out "Gunsmithing Supplies"
What a screwed up debacle, and complete dog's breakfast !

Check out the hodge podge layout for simple drill rod blanks,....

Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/bars-rods-fasteners-and-adhesive/br?cid=19821&pageNumber=4

HITF is one supposed to find what he's looking for , FAST ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm more than satisfied with cutting my own from this homemade contraption..an old case,a bolt for the plunger..works great..

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Woody, that "device" is pure genius! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Dog Breakfast"!!!! Roflmao!

I'm gonna remember that one Greg!

Learned a lot from this thread. Interesting!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fact that Potterfield and Co. would expect somebody to scroll through that mess to find a stick of material that they need NOW is a reflection of something,....I'm not sure just what.

Sloppy, and vaguely disrespectful of one's patrons ?

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Breaking the air lock:

[Linked Image]Breaking air lock by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Hmmmmm...interesting.

Though when I made the cookies thicker I got a sight bulge in the case. blush

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You may get a slight bulge in the case IF.....you compress the powder with the OPW in place! This normally can happen when shooting 'greasers' because the powder...with a healthy charge...has to be compressed more so as to facilitate seating the bullet to proper OAL!! For heavy compression...don't compress with the OPW in place!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I never did understand why he bought Fajen, and then shut them down very shortly thereafter.

Is a head scratcher that. Fajen did some nice work back in the day.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We DREAMED about building the sporters of our dreams on Fajen wood.

I did, anyway.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just about to order a custom stock in fancy wood, when he shut it down. Just boom. dunno if he wanted the land, or building, or what. Didn't even have an clearance sale on the inventory. frown

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
In the late 50's I build a .22 Varminter on a 1939 VZ chech action and I used a Fajen stock I got from Herters. I still have the rifle, the barrel is shot out but the wood still looks good.

And I put a Fajen stock on my 870 trap I would hate to think what it would cost today or if I could even find a piece of wood like it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Woody you are a genius.

Fück Joe byron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I was just about to order a custom stock in fancy wood, when he shut it down. Just boom. dunno if he wanted the land, or building, or what. Didn't even have an clearance sale on the inventory. frown

There was a sale of the entire inventory... an auction that went into the night. Thousands of stocks and blanks sold for pennies on the dollar.

The original Reinhart Fajen shop was located in downtown Warsaw (you could walk in and sort through the stocks to find one you liked... there were many local people doing stock work in those days). Midway built a factory between Lincoln and Warsaw for the stock business and even built an airport which is now the Lincoln/Warsaw airport. There is some other business in the building now.

If a person could have been at the auction with a LARGE truck and say a hundred thousand $$$ and had a place to store them, they could have made a lot of money selling stocks... in the long wood room I saw blanks marked five and six hundred dollars selling for as little as $35 to $40.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.