[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just fantastic!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
These are just spectacular!!!! It's on the top my bucket list to see this with my own eyes. Any spot better than another for viewing? Thank you for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As always, envious.

1Minute
Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKBunny
These are just spectacular!!!! It's on the top my bucket list to see this with my own eyes. Any spot better than another for viewing? Thank you for sharing.

From mid September through March. Since the winters are so cold, the most comfortable months usually are September to November, and then March. The problem is that sometimes we have cloud covers that last for several days a time, so the best chance to see them is by spending two or three weeks around here. There are a few places that cater to tourists wanting to see the Northern Lights, some on the outskirts of Fairbanks.

I just drive a couple of miles to places where there aren't street or traffic lights to photograph the Auroras, but to view them you can do it right from your porch smile

Last edited by Ray; 10/17/15.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful shots.... cool smile

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks so much for the tips! If I stayed for two or three weeks, I probably wouldn't leave. LOL. Seriously, I cried at the airport in Anchorage when I left after my first visit. I would be proud to one day call AK home!

Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for the tips! If I stayed for two or three weeks, I probably wouldn't leave. LOL. Seriously, I cried at the airport in Anchorage when I left after my first visit. I would be proud to one day call AK home!

smile If it wasn't so darn expensive and cold up here (Fairbanks), I would stay until the day I die. For taking photos of the Auroras, it's best around Fairbanks, or at least out of Anchorage toward Denali Park. Less light pollution, and wide open areas is what you want.

Last edited by Ray; 10/18/15.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I've been as far as Denali Park but couldn't convince anyone else to push into Fairbanks. It was also the wrong time of year for the Auroras. I have a picture hanging in my house of the Auroras taken just outside of Fairbanks but these are soooooo much better!

Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been as far as Denali Park but couldn't convince anyone else to push into Fairbanks. It was also the wrong time of year for the Auroras. I have a picture hanging in my house of the Auroras taken just outside of Fairbanks but these are soooooo much better!

Once you make it to Denali Park the drive to Fairbanks is easy smile But Fairbanks itself is not really the best looking place other than a few locations in town. For example, some good Alaska-brewed beer at the Silver Gulch, the Museum at the University, and the hot springs if you are into that sort of stuff. Fort a good fillet of mignon, the Valatta, Chinese food at the Pagoda in North Pole, etc.

Last edited by Ray; 10/20/15.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful shots, and very interesting to view! Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the curves in the sky lights of the last image. Being accessible to seeing them must be nice for you.

Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you EricM, and RedRabbit.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Awesome!

I wanted desperately to see this ever since learning about it in elementary school. We were treated to a pretty good display in Northern Ohio around ten years ago but nothing like your pics.

Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Awesome!

I wanted desperately to see this ever since learning about it in elementary school. We were treated to a pretty good display in Northern Ohio around ten years ago but nothing like your pics.

The Auroras can be quite bright in the interior of Alaska (around Fairbanks), but sometimes we have cloud covers that last a few days. We get a lot of Japanese Northern Lights watchers from September to April, who spend several weeks waiting for the lights to show.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.