Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update:

So I was able to take a decent bull caribou at 250 yards and 2 days later take a little freezer filler moose at 300 yards with this setup. Worked as good or better than my 308 win. smile

Caribou:
[Linked Image]

Moose:
[Linked Image]

I will say I am impressed with the 210 Sirocco though. As I walked up on my moose after dropping it at 300 yards it jumped up at 7 yards from it and I put one between its eyes and found the bullet deep in the neck meat after going through both sides of the skull at nearly muzzle velocity of 2780+ fps.

Retained 184 grains which isn't bad even what all it went through and how deep into the neck meat it finally stopped and drop the bull in its tracks as even a small bull looks bit at 7 yards and not impressed with the first shot that knocked him down. wink

210 Scirocco recovered from the moose neck meat after going through the skull and a lot of neck meat:
[Linked Image]

A couple weeks ago I finally got around to playing with some 250 Swift A-frames and some RL-17. A modest helping of RL-17 got me just over an inch several times and to clock at 2475 fps out of the 21" barrel. Should work well backing up my wife on her hike in spring bear Kodiak bear tag. She'll be using her Kimber Montana 308 win so the 250s at nearly 2500 fps should be good at cleaning stuff up in the rare event the 180 or 200 grainers from her gun won't get it done.

Overall I really like the setup and the VX-6 2-12 is a great scope and glad I picked it up. No regrets there at all.

Just thought I would give a bit of an update....and I did swap the talleys around to take advantage of the scopes generous eye relief. wink

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome caribou pic!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very cool! Congrats!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How's the stock dip holding up?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fantastic

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
gun is too light, barrel is too short, scope is to big and heavy, stock pattern is too busy.

And I really do like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Great rifle. And great hunting too!

Lovely hunting location. One of these days....

How does the hydrodipping hold up? Looks really nice.

Thanks for the photos and discussion. It is giving me ideas! Never a good thing grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I dig your rifle - wonderful setup. Great shots of the game taken as well.

Very interesting post.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Go 2-7x33.....

Yup way too much scope in my opinion. a 2.5x8 would be perfect!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had a 2.5-8 before. One of the more over rated scopes IMO. For the money I would go vx 2 3-9x40 before that. wink

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I had a 2.5-8 before. One of the more over rated scopes IMO. For the money I would go vx 2 3-9x40 before that. wink

+1 to this.....

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunting1
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

+1 to this.....

+2

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The VX-6 2-12 beats the pants off the VX2 and VX3 scopes mentioned.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
The VX-6 2-12 beats the pants off the VX2 and VX3 scopes mentioned.

For 4 times the money I would hope you could notice some improvement. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bellydeep,

Aside from the thinness of the barrel when rebored to .35, Nosler's data only gives 225's 2600 fps in the .338-06 because they only tried 4 powders, while their .35 Whelen 225-grain data includes 10 powders. Both Barnes and Hornady show 2700 for the .338-06 with 225's.

The Whelen's capable of about 3% more velocity when both rounds are loaded to the same pressure. Using the 225 AccuBond as an example in both rounds, loaded to 2700 in the .338-06 and 2800 in the .35 Whelen, the .33 caliber catches up in velocity at about 200 yards, and the gap widens beyond there. Oh, and the .338-06 kicks a little less, because the bullet isn't started as fast.

Elmer Keith noticed this longer-range advantage for .33 caliber bullets about 75 years ago, the reason he developed the .333 OKH and "quit" the .35 Whelen. This doesn't mean the .35 Whelen's a bad cartridge, just that muzzle velocity doesn't tell the entire story, especially when it's only from one source of loading data.

Bullets matter farrrrrrrr more than headstamps. Hint.

The .35 can't begin to hang,on ANY level...in a like sized case. The .338" 250 Scenar has a .675BC,full stop,end of story,35's are dog schit.

Now the bane of L/A Montuckies are their rather trite mag confines,which can,will and do affect boolit selection...which can,will and do upset the cart. That fact is rather unfortunate and as diameter goes up,boolits get longer(when talking meaningful BC's) and the door slams shut even tighter.

Beings Joe Average(s) ain't very fhuqking bright(understatement),their lead in "thought",is going to be that "BC doesn't matter",which is hilarious. Nope...funnier than that. Ping Pong Ball Launchers can't hang. Re-hint.

The overlooked .338" 250 Skinner is a phenom and at a paltry 2500fps launch,from a 200yd zero in a 5000' atmosphere of 70% humidity at 29.92,it'll reach the 1000yd line retaining an amazing 1555fps(less than 1000fps loss in transit) and drift but 57" in a full value 10mph wind. 'Course that threshold will fly over pointy heads,but a boolit's starting mannerisms,ain't nearly as important as it's finishing mannerisms and a .675BC(JBM Silver Skinner inputs) greedily clings on to it's speed and slips atmospherics wickedly. Mouths will be agape and noone will be able to correlate the Magnificence Ratio at any/all distances,from powder burns to the transonic slips,which only adds to the humor. The upside being of course,that there is NO downside. Tough to beat them "odds". It's comforting to know,that a 1" 6x42 has the moxy to literally hang,as well as the erector travel requisite to do as one pleases,beings the transition from zero to 1K,is sub 31MOA. 'Course that too,will sail well above heads.

As per always,it's impossible to get giddy about lazy twists,misaligned COAL constraints or botched throats...if only because them are the dots that shine brightest when connected and the ONLY way to arrange the warm/fuzzy.

A .473" L/A Montucky's best use for dot connection,is in 6-06/6-06AI,because slickery BC's come at a lesser length.

Not that numerous dropped balls and disconnected dots,don't swoon Sheep and Ping Pong Ball Launchers,due the multiple insulating layers of their ignorance.

But hey...it IS funny.(grin)

Pass the OEM Montucky 7-08 and 162's at 2700fps.

Hint.................

(Addendum: as my crummy is warming up and coffee brewing)

The 210PT is a common theme,which is constantly hilarious. Assuming a 2700fps launch with it,in the above cited atmosphere and like zero,it has a 40fps advantage in impact velocity at 200yds over the Skinner.

At 400yds the 250 has a better than 100fps impact velocity advantage(arriving faster at 500yds,than the 210 do at 400yds) and drifts 50% less. 'Course then it gets REAL ugly.

Boolits fhuqk with heads and it amazes me,how many are in such great hurries to drop soooooooo many balls and build themselves into numerous corners.

Though I do enjoy the humor!(grin)

No feat to flop MPAJ,dope a scope and arrange POA/POI intersections of meaningful BC's,as one pleases.

BUT...you gotta do it,in order to do it.

Hint.................

(RE-'dendum: The first (2) creeks are looooowwwwww)

'Lanche,

FACTS is VERY fhuqking funny. Perhaps wax eloquent on COAL latitude,boolit selection,throat geometry,twist rate and conjoin the belly laughs with some pics of the meldings...if only to reiterate obliviously,that which reliably escapes your faculties.

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots more than a smidge and to the confounding chagrin of Window Lickers fhuqking everywhere...Pretend ain't Real,no matter how feverishly they Imagine it to be.

You're doing "great" and really gave that POS some serious "thought"!

Laughing!...................

Dear Mr Stick,

Where I hunt I'm lucky to see more than 100 yds. Perhaps you'd suggest I set up my rifle, load, bullet,etc to perform largely at 2500 yds or hell...maybe we better go a minimum of 3000 yds.

Forest

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really like both the 2.5-8X36 and 3-9X40 but I only paid full retail on the 2.5-8 once in my life before I got internet savvy. I do agree though I buy more 3-9's because there isn't hardly a difference for the money. That said my favorite Leupy is the 3.5-10X40 VX3.

Someday I'd like to try the VX6 though, I'm holding out for a smoking deal on a demo/open box special though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Forest
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bellydeep,

Aside from the thinness of the barrel when rebored to .35, Nosler's data only gives 225's 2600 fps in the .338-06 because they only tried 4 powders, while their .35 Whelen 225-grain data includes 10 powders. Both Barnes and Hornady show 2700 for the .338-06 with 225's.

The Whelen's capable of about 3% more velocity when both rounds are loaded to the same pressure. Using the 225 AccuBond as an example in both rounds, loaded to 2700 in the .338-06 and 2800 in the .35 Whelen, the .33 caliber catches up in velocity at about 200 yards, and the gap widens beyond there. Oh, and the .338-06 kicks a little less, because the bullet isn't started as fast.

Elmer Keith noticed this longer-range advantage for .33 caliber bullets about 75 years ago, the reason he developed the .333 OKH and "quit" the .35 Whelen. This doesn't mean the .35 Whelen's a bad cartridge, just that muzzle velocity doesn't tell the entire story, especially when it's only from one source of loading data.

Bullets matter farrrrrrrr more than headstamps. Hint.

The .35 can't begin to hang,on ANY level...in a like sized case. The .338" 250 Scenar has a .675BC,full stop,end of story,35's are dog schit.

Now the bane of L/A Montuckies are their rather trite mag confines,which can,will and do affect boolit selection...which can,will and do upset the cart. That fact is rather unfortunate and as diameter goes up,boolits get longer(when talking meaningful BC's) and the door slams shut even tighter.

Beings Joe Average(s) ain't very fhuqking bright(understatement),their lead in "thought",is going to be that "BC doesn't matter",which is hilarious. Nope...funnier than that. Ping Pong Ball Launchers can't hang. Re-hint.

The overlooked .338" 250 Skinner is a phenom and at a paltry 2500fps launch,from a 200yd zero in a 5000' atmosphere of 70% humidity at 29.92,it'll reach the 1000yd line retaining an amazing 1555fps(less than 1000fps loss in transit) and drift but 57" in a full value 10mph wind. 'Course that threshold will fly over pointy heads,but a boolit's starting mannerisms,ain't nearly as important as it's finishing mannerisms and a .675BC(JBM Silver Skinner inputs) greedily clings on to it's speed and slips atmospherics wickedly. Mouths will be agape and noone will be able to correlate the Magnificence Ratio at any/all distances,from powder burns to the transonic slips,which only adds to the humor. The upside being of course,that there is NO downside. Tough to beat them "odds". It's comforting to know,that a 1" 6x42 has the moxy to literally hang,as well as the erector travel requisite to do as one pleases,beings the transition from zero to 1K,is sub 31MOA. 'Course that too,will sail well above heads.

As per always,it's impossible to get giddy about lazy twists,misaligned COAL constraints or botched throats...if only because them are the dots that shine brightest when connected and the ONLY way to arrange the warm/fuzzy.

A .473" L/A Montucky's best use for dot connection,is in 6-06/6-06AI,because slickery BC's come at a lesser length.

Not that numerous dropped balls and disconnected dots,don't swoon Sheep and Ping Pong Ball Launchers,due the multiple insulating layers of their ignorance.

But hey...it IS funny.(grin)

Pass the OEM Montucky 7-08 and 162's at 2700fps.

Hint.................

(Addendum: as my crummy is warming up and coffee brewing)

The 210PT is a common theme,which is constantly hilarious. Assuming a 2700fps launch with it,in the above cited atmosphere and like zero,it has a 40fps advantage in impact velocity at 200yds over the Skinner.

At 400yds the 250 has a better than 100fps impact velocity advantage(arriving faster at 500yds,than the 210 do at 400yds) and drifts 50% less. 'Course then it gets REAL ugly.

Boolits fhuqk with heads and it amazes me,how many are in such great hurries to drop soooooooo many balls and build themselves into numerous corners.

Though I do enjoy the humor!(grin)

No feat to flop MPAJ,dope a scope and arrange POA/POI intersections of meaningful BC's,as one pleases.

BUT...you gotta do it,in order to do it.

Hint.................

(RE-'dendum: The first (2) creeks are looooowwwwww)

'Lanche,

FACTS is VERY fhuqking funny. Perhaps wax eloquent on COAL latitude,boolit selection,throat geometry,twist rate and conjoin the belly laughs with some pics of the meldings...if only to reiterate obliviously,that which reliably escapes your faculties.

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots more than a smidge and to the confounding chagrin of Window Lickers fhuqking everywhere...Pretend ain't Real,no matter how feverishly they Imagine it to be.

You're doing "great" and really gave that POS some serious "thought"!

Laughing!...................

Dear Mr Stick,

Where I hunt I'm lucky to see more than 100 yds. Perhaps you'd suggest I set up my rifle, load, bullet,etc to perform largely at 2500 yds or hell...maybe we better go a minimum of 3000 yds.

Forest

Dear DUMBfhuqk,

You are at the hilarious mercy of your means,ability and comprehension...in no fhuqking particular order.

Coupla 1000 words.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bless your heart.

Only (2) Bucks this mornin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done.

Luke - caught you on TV recently. (Alaska Outdoors TV)
Nicely done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.