Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The kids are gone so now every year a mix of WY deer & antelope and maybe 1 in AZ, totaling 5. Usually give some away in the form of sausage/bratwurst. Every 10 years or so I draw and AZ bull tag and that year I give a lot of elk/deer/antelope away if all goes well.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's been a little slow this year, 8.
Last year I killed 11.
About the last 15 years I've averaged about 12 per year.
The most I've killed in one year was 16.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

Damn, you keep track? I tried to estimate it using averages, and that's about how many I've done since 1977.

You really are a DEER_ASSASSIN ain't ya.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Since I posted earlier I have killed a couple more.

Since I quit killing for this year, I have been doing an inventory here in the neighborhood. If I kill four again next year, I still need the cars to chip in and kill another 6-10 deer just to stay even. Right now I am not up for doing another four again next year. I probably will be by next fall though. It is looking like an 8 foot garden fence is going to be ever more appealing as an alternative to shooting and eating them. The neighbors claim their kids like venison, but they still haven't eaten all of one I provided all butchered and vacuum packed last year. The wife and I can happily eat two per year. Add another for the son and that's about as many as I want to kill and process in a year with decent weather

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Worked for USDA for 34 years. During that time I've assisted in legal culls on local plantations annually. In addition to my 12 deer limit each year, I've taken numbers that I doubt folks would believe.

A tremendous perk is the unique opportunity to experience what works and what doesn't in real world situations. Each kill is recorded with respect to caliber, bullet, yardage, etc, and my records have been a valuable resource for me.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/12/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
just 21 this year

new total 226 11-17-2001

laugh

Damn, you keep track? I tried to estimate it using averages, and that's about how many I've done since 1977.

You really are a DEER_ASSASSIN ain't ya.

i keep a spread sheet on excel pics of every deer

i have it broke down to days of the week months air/ground weapon field dressed weight avg field dressed weight per year
shot distance
distance traveled
avg shot
avg distance travel
particular loads for each caliber

blah blah blah

the stats are rather interesting you can certainly tell how and when i hunt

ie

sept 11
oct 36
nov 103
dec 48
jan 28

nov is a good month in tn

mon 18
tues 13
wed 20
thur 15
fri 34
sat 68
sun 58

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Worked for USDA for 34 years. During that time I've assisted in legal culls on local plantations annually. In addition to my 12 deer limit each year, I've taken numbers that I doubt folks would believe.

A tremendous perk is the unique opportunity to experience what works and what doesn't in real world situations. Each kill is recorded with respect to caliber, bullet, yardage, etc, and my records have been a valuable resource for me.

no telling how many you have killed i bet the data is fascinating though

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I deal with a lot of guys in North East PA, near Scranton. Those guys think it's crazy how many deer we kill here. They're only allowed 1 buck and 1 doe and they're lucky if they can do that. They claim the bears and coyotes have hurt the population. Years ago, we used to think PA was the place to go to shoot deer, but NOT. Now if you want to kill turkeys, that's the place to be. They've got hurds of them grazing like cattle up there.

The late 80's and early 90's were good in N.E. Pa. Now there are fewer deer and plenty of turkeys as you mentioned, When I left in 2009 I had not seen a deer while hunting the previous two seasons in my area with somewhat limited time to hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between DMAP, depredation permits for the farm, high bag limits, etc. I quit counting at 200+ in 2007. My pace is not nearly as high over the past several years as I've moved around with my career, and not had the same time afield. I shoot a bunch, but hunting has slowed.

Looking forward to retirement in 10 years or so...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Started in '85 and got my first in '87 and its been wfo since then. Not sure on exact total but its between 150 and 200. WV has been veddy veddy good to me!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always had to travel to hunt which restricts my access..For many years my average has been between 15 and 20 a year, although not for the last year or so as I simply haven't been able to get out much..

As we have no tags and long seasons, I know plenty of folks over here who take maybe 50 or 60 a year mostly females and cull bucks...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My best single season was 37. 35 does, all mature does, and 16 of those does with a bow and the other 2 were really nice bucks.

NRA Benefactor life member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My high year was right at 30, that was the second year of dmap hunting my stepfathers farm. About 25 or so were killed within the terms of the program.
Maybe 150-200 total since my first in 81.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started hunting 1965
1965 to 1983 = Zero Deer
1984 1ST Deer ever 4 pt Buck
1985 to 1995 = Zero Deer
1996 2 deer! Doe and Spike!
1997 to Present = Zero Deer
I did have a Heart Attack last year the first time
I went hunting !
Cost me $500 dollars and the rest of my season.

Molan Labe
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have killed 44. Killed at least one buck in every New England state but Vermont (never hunted there).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I haven't killed the numbers of deer some of you guys have. One a year is plenty for me, in reality.

The most I've killed in one year, was three, and I gave one away, and another was already crippled and I killed it to put it out of it's misery. It was already gangrenous and you could smell it forty feet away. Fed that one to the hogs.

I also shot one that had it's jaw blown off by someone trying a headshot and failing.

I'm somewhere around 50, and that's all I wanted at the time. This year, my stepdaughter wants one, so I might take two, if I can. One for us, and one for them.

I can take it or leave it. I enjoy watching deer about as much as shooting them. I'd rather shoot a damned old coyote than a deer, to be fair about it. Never got kill-crazy like some do, except on PDs and coyotes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Somewhere in the low 40's while hunting, Been hunting since 1984 and have had some dry years, missed one due to deployment, and have had some multiple deer years. Most ever is 4 in one year in VA. I like venison and it's the main reason I hunt, but will shoot a nice buck if I can. Participated in a management shoot one day and killed 24, but got sick of killing, even though the meat went to a good place. I've used probably 24 different cartridges to shoot them, and got a couple with a bow and a couple with a muzzleloader. Just got picked for an antlerless permit for my area in MI this year, so I'll get at least one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had 50 foster children over the years. The state didn't cover all expenses. I shot 6 deer/yr maximum. Then there were antelope and elk. After a year of eating deer meat my mother-in-law who was living with us bought some beef roast for Sunday dinner. My wife took a bite, stood up and in a loud voice said, "Oh yuk. I just cannot stand this deer meat." Which caused great mirth, my mother-in-law and I broke out laughing. Mother told daughter you've been eating nothing but deer for over a year. I thought you'd like some beef for a change. The subject of 'deer' meat never came up again.
The number of deer I shot never was as many as needed. I have some trophies but I am not very proud of them. They mounts are in boxes. I mainly shoot does anymore due to availability of licenses. Oh, yeh I started deer hunting in 1963 and so far have drawn two tags is all for this year. I have one cow tag and applications still have not returned on all applications.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/02/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to hunt a pretty good spot.
And my kids were little.
So popped a few.
Kids in college now, hunt way smaller spot, w less deer around. I won't shoot more than two (buck and a doe) and haven't shot more than one for quite a few yrs.
So I'm not over 100 total, and may never get there.
A few dozen have hopped across my grill/stove/oven.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/03/16.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.