Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A lot of hunters in northern New England buy their wool hunting jackets from Labonville in Gorham, NH. Their item #S701 for $123.

www.labonville.com

Been in there bud. I was responsible for TransCanadas 24 inch high pressure 1440 MOP pipeline that ran from Windham, Maine up through Gorham, some other towns, through Colebrook and Pittsburgh, Nh. It was called Portland Natural Gas. I actually bought a pair of gloves in that store.

My wife and I went to LL. Bean store Christmas Eve. Of 2001 and 2011.

I miss Colebrook grouse hunting and the Connecticut fishing

I'm going to look at Labonville, I forgot about them. Honestly though Im leaning towards Woolrich, it's what I know.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A lot of hunters in northern New England buy their wool hunting jackets from Labonville in Gorham, NH. Their item #S701 for $123.

www.labonville.com

How many ounces is this jacket, I can't get website to work.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two Filsons. My wife bought me a beautiful black double mack five years ago for Christmas. I love it and wear it as my dress jacket during the winter months. It looks sharp and is super warm.

This old buffalo plaid came from eBay several years ago for $29. It's a 50's vintage so I'm told. It had a few flaws. My wife put some black material on the cuffs to cover and stop the fraying and had to tighten up the button holes as they were pretty loose. I still love that old jacket and wear it as my every day jacket.

There are some good deals on vintage wool clothing like Woolrich and Filson as well as others on eBay or in the second stores. My wife is the thrift store queen and has found me several Pendleton wool shirts in new or very near new condition. I see nice, older wool jackets fairly often in the thrift shops.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I keep getting some website certificate crap. The website keeps flashing and can't view anything

Tight chains.

A=A

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I still can view website, but I found some other pics online elsewhere. The labonville looks really lightweight. Not interested.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
By the way, any of you older fellas want to sale any of those old Woolrich coats let me know. Aslong as it isn't ripped to shreds, I'd be interested.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Buddy succembed to the temptation of buying a Filson tin whatever. Thought it would last.

He had wore through a couple spots in under a year.

I probably would avoid the high-dollar Filson if I was planning on really working in it and expecting it to hold up.

really curious about what he was doing... i can't think of anything any halfway normal person can do to wear one through that fast....I'm out crossing through barb wire fences and such in mine and have yet to put a hole in it and while not packing a bunch of extra weight i aint a small guy and its a tight squeeze at times grin can see wearing it out in time where it chaps/pants or such and busting alot of briars and such for a few years....

bad seam getting through QC and letting go, fugg up in water proofing ect yeah i can see it happen but cant figure how you wear through a tin cloth coat that fast...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought I'd throw in that I've had great service out of my columbia gallatin range wool, very warm and affordable.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks man.

Tight chains.

A=A

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Thought I'd throw in that I've had great service out of my columbia gallatin range wool, very warm and affordable.

do love Columbia stuff, some of the OmniHeat stuff works quite well and really like their hot weather shirts for staying cooler.....also on a Smartwool kick for base layer type stuff.....but most Columbia coats arent so good for where they might come in contact with barb wire and similar plant spines....only reason i shelled out for Filson was i wasnt happy haw fast the last few Carhart coats my brother and i bought started coming apart....had that not happened would likely still be wearing Carhart coats alot

Last edited by rattler; 10/27/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barb wire fences will get ya everytime. I'll second the smartwool base layers. I also use their socks, beanie and thin gloves.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My britches advice, right from the Bakken, M-1951 army wool twill pants. The weave is tight enough to be wind resistant. The price is right. Wear cordura chaps over them and if your legs are cold, you shouldn't be out there. ;-{>8

I found bird hunting was most flexible using a strap vest and whatever was the right jacket - or not, for the day. BE SURE, that whatever you have is seriously WINDPROOF. I have some of the most serious wool coats known to man and the NW ND wind can get through them.

I like my wool garments under a shell.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks all for the feedback

Let's stay closer to topic though. I'm working and living in North Dakota. Was on back of a drilling rig in the recent nasty 2013 winter here around the Tioga area, which is usually around six to ten degrees colder than Williston.I know how to dress warm and work. Question is More about brand specific. I have tons of base layers from red rams, polyesters, silks just bought set of 4.0 gear etc etc. Worked in Maine for two winters as well.

Like the title says Filson or Woolrich.

Thanks again.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Filson. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Bob

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Pm sent Bob

Tight chains.

A=A

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I own Filson, Woolrich, and Johnson. I like the Filson the best but not sure I could justify the cost over the Woolrich. Johnson has always disappointed me and is a very distant 3rd. YMMV.

Last edited by JDK; 10/27/15.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JDK
I own Filson, Woolrich, and Johnson. I like the Filson the best but not sure I could justify the cost over the Woolrich. Johnson has always disappointed me and is a very distant 3rd. YMMV.

Thanks jdk and that's kind of in line with my thinking. I know Filson is nice, but so is Woolrich for 200 less. I just don't see it being almost double the price better.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Buy Filson. You only live once.
I love my single mac.
Have my dads USA wool rich and llbean.
Filson is like a rolex. At this point foreign made-others is a seiko.
Both tell the time.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.