Expensive, like Filson. Buy used

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
GB1

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[quote=Bob_B257]Buy Filson. You only live once.
I love my single mac.
Have my dads USA wool rich and llbean.
Filson is like a rolex. At this point foreign made-others is a seiko.
Both tell the time.
[/quote

Hey you can't wear all those at same time. Sale me the woolrich.....haha

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have a pair of Canadian Pattern 49 battle dress trousers, of wool, that are awesome! Stuff worn in Korea.

As a side note, during WWII, the Canadian Pattern 37 battle dress was always the #1 sought after uniform of commonwealth forces. The fabric was said to be much better than the English made wool! WWII stuff is Hard to find now! But the Pattern 49 stuff wasn still around a few years ago.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought some of those M-1951 pants years ago, brand new, $9 a pop, and they were great. Unfortunately they only go up to a 39" waist, and that ship sailed and sank with all hands years ago.

I replaced them with some "German Wool Pants", from Cabelas that are also very nice, but require dry cleaning. One pair is in reserve and may pass on to my offspring unworn.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
TO stay on topic,

At this point in time... Filson. Seems higher quality to me than the imported Woolrich stuff. I had a Woolrich shirt a few years back, an overseas model, and while serviceable, not quite what I expected.

I just picked up a nice Filson vest and pants from the classifieds here. Suggestion, keep your eye open there.

Now, a bit off topic, but just an option, and USA made by regular folks:

http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

I have a zip jacket, evening stand extra heavy weight, from them and Teresa was nice enough to make me one without a hood as I'm a hat guy and don't like hoods unless really necessary.

I also have the zipper vest in blanket weight.

Both are nice enough for around town wear. Teresa suggests hand washing, not dry cleaning.

Last year's deer hunt with mornings down to +8 and snow I had "therma-wool" long johns, a long sleeve t shirt, the vest and the jacket and was warm enough, even while standing for a while.

Asbell's wool bandanas and scarf are nice also. I'll probably get a mackinaw hood set up to go over my jacket this year.

Spray them down with "camp dry" or some such and odds are, except for extreme downpours, one will stay dry.

Good luck with your search, and as others have noted, good used classified, ebay, amazon Filson is your friend.

Geno

PS, surplus wool "commando" sweaters are good for layering too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Molon,
my 16 year old is wearing the LL Bean red and black of my dads!!!
Hes taller than me and my single mac keeps going missing as well.
I am considering sleeping in my filson vest so I know where it is….
Had a tin packer that my Bro in Law passed my way. That was a stiff coat. Warm and dry but not like Grundens or Heally H. Too stiff to shotgun fast bird flushes with but fine for a rifle.
I sent it on to a buddy who really wanted it, because the arms were too short for me.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Valsdad,

Thanks for another unfortunate post in current woolrich. Another guy telling me same thing. Started to lean towards the Filson. I will look at link you posted.

Thanks fellas

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Will have to say my Filson stuff is the best I have and worth the money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Woolrich isn't all that bad. Order one, and if isn't what you want then send it back before using. The Filson Cruiser is great. Size up and layer something under if needed. As Pappy mentioned the Filson double is bulky and will make it seem like you added an inch to your rifles LOP.

An NFL guard could wear tin cloth for an entire season and it would come out whole.

Have em all.

Last edited by battue; 10/28/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I love wool over clothes having gotten into to them while bow hunting in the '80's. My greatest experience really is just with Filson and KOM wools though, two high dollar lines. I have a couple of observations: All the Filson I've had including two whipcord wool pants and a double Mac are of the highest quality and very tight weaves. This quality goes for their non wool products too some of which I also have. My whipcords are at least twenty years old and still hold a crease like a dress pant. If it weren't for the patches and sewing where I ripped them on scree or dead falls, I could wear them to church with a sport coat. Bob is right--you cannot kill these garments. The double Mac is tightly woven and heavy but stylish at the same time. But, for me, this coat is like putting on an oven; I found I could not wear it unless on some kind of stand in very cold weather; it is too warm for moving much but great for around town during a blizzard. IMO, their economy lies in the fact you will not wear these garments out. You can also wear them in an urban setting without looking "all Billy Joe Bubba."

KOM are at least theoretically washable though I shrank a shirt one whole size once in washing; they replaced it. You have to be very careful in washing. They, if they are even making them any more, are very expensive perhaps because of getting the camo patterns on the garments. But they are not as tight a weave as Filson's IMO but, again, mine are over twenty years old and still going.

Overall, I've come to the point in life where buying quality is the cheapest and wisest in the long run IMO. Though I've not tried many Pendleton, Woolrich, and Johnson and other brands extensively, I would look first to Filson for a wool outer garment for any outdoor endeavor.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
No problem finding a nice older Woolrich set here in PA at the market I go to every Sunday morning. A coat and pant set usually sell for about $50.00....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by battue
The Woolrich isn't all that bad. Order one, and if isn't what you want then send it back before using. The Filson Cruiser is great. Size up and layer something under if needed. As Pappy mentioned the Filson double is bulky and will make it seem like you added an inch to your rifles LOP.

An NFL guard could wear tin cloth for an entire season and it would come out whole.

Have em all.

Lol. Thanks man

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack
No problem finding a nice older Woolrich set here in PA at the market I go to every Sunday morning. A coat and pant set usually sell for about $50.00....

Pocono jack,

Good, then you can double your money. Find me a 2x jacket and 36 waist pants or bibs for 50 and I'll pay you 100 and shipping fee for you to mail to me

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Filson makes some great wool hunting gear along with upland wear that as many have mentioned are in the game for the long haul. Costs more, but worth it.

Then they can also get a little over the top. As in:

Flannel work shirt-$135.
Deer Skin Gloves-$88. (Friend just bought some for $14.)
Lined leather gloves-$135.
Sportsmans Bag-$360 (Just bought a high quality Mud River one for
$59-$20 coupon at Cabela's)
Scoped canvas rifle case: $320.

Some of their stuff is worth every penny if you plan to use it. Some isn't even if you plan to do so.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One more once- Filson, even if you go with the single weight.

Today, I ordered a Bemidji Voyaguer Jac Coat, 29oz 85/15 wool blend, for my "light" hunting jacket. I was curious about the quality of this other 'Merican made product. The comparable Filson, their Cape Coat, is $100 more. Both these models do away with the game pocket and front patch pockets that add so much bulk. I had to go with a red and black plaid as color selections are getting limited, for the obvious reason.

Just for grins, I checked out the Woolrich site and now I know why they're so much cheaper. Their hunting coats are an 18.5 oz 80/20 blend. That may be okay for running to the store, but seems a bit light for the woods, and clearly less durable.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again have one and have used it. Heavy enough and works fine in the woods. And when it gets snowed or rained on, gets just as heavy and takes as long to dry out as the original.

Like good wool gear, but truthfully there are better choices out there today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Battue, that is the exact jacket I got off my pap that got stolen. I can't remember how it fit then because I was alot younger. Plus, I've been lifting weights. Back then I trained differently. I'm pretty thick in the chest and shoulders. Monday was chest day in gym and I 45° inclined 300lbs for two reps. I'm currently fluctuating around the 220lb mark +/- a few lbs. Plus, at my size and weight I can do real wide pull ups. Tuesdays first set I got 13 reps. I'm listing this so you have an idea of size. I'm thinking a 2x with layering in mind would serve me best on the coldest of days

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You're a beeg strong boy thru the chest and I doubt if x large will fit.

300 at 45 degrees is impressive. I would be a puddle of chit under the bench. frown

Addition: But I'm quick. smile

Last edited by battue; 10/28/15.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I don't have an eBay account. Might have to create one and try to find a second hand one.

Tight chains.

A=A

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.