Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'm in the market to replace my wool hunting clothes. Currently using older Cabelas model DRYplus gortex hunting jacket.

I used to have a woolrich traditional hunting coat, but some puke stole it out of my soft top jeep Wrangler a few years ago and it was my grandfather's jacket that he gave me.

It was American made, now alot of their stuff is imported. I'm thinking about their coat and pants or Filsons's Double Mack.

What say you?

Woolrich is almost 200 scones cheaper and used to be high quality. What they like today? I know filson is nice but are they really that much nicer and how?

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a Filson man, but there are alternatives

Johnson Woolen Mills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Filson Tin Packer coat a few years ago because i got tired of buying a new Carhart every few years cause the sleve cuffs always fell apart on me...local gal had started carrying Filson in her store and said she was impressed with what their warranty covered when her brother needed one replaced after years and years of service. so I bought it on her recommendation and was so pleased i shelled out the extra for the wool liner awhile later....I think they are worth the money but i havent had any Woolrich stuff, do know they are worth the money over Carhart though....

Last edited by rattler; 10/26/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would look at Johnson Woolen Mills or Bemidji Woolen Mills (pretty good prices and made in Bemidji, MN).

(Micah 6:8) "Words are what men live by... words they say and mean." -John Wayne, The Comancheros "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was the Tin Cloth Packer as hard to break in as some people say they are? I read that in a few reviews online.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Filson is very good. U.S. Army wool Korea surplus vintage is an alternative "beater" option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not sure what you mean by break in....lil bit of a residue for awhile that i just felt on my skin, didnt mark any clothes, from the water proofing they do but I was pretty happy with it from the time i Left the store....it is a heavier canvas, well more like a denser weave than thicker, than my last carhart coats so it feels different but thats about it...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reviews said that the fabric was very stiff, also mentioned the residue/smell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it is stiffer than a Carhart but as i said its also alot heavier material so not sure how you get one without the other....residue went away fairly quick and wasnt any big deal, i could just feel it and tell it was there on my skin....didnt notice a real smell....I'm very happy with it, especially with the wind and cold we have up here. like the wool liner aswell.....it was an 'investment' type deal as i dont think I've ever paid so much for a coat but the quality is there so that i should come out money ahead well before i wear it out over the Carharts i was buying....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool, nice to have feedback from a fellow hunter. Reading those reviews you never know if they were written by some yuppie.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a Filson super junkie, but have some Woolrich stuff too and haven't been disappointed, though my Woolrich garments are simply heavy wool overshirts. Basically Woolrich's version of the Mackinaw Cruiser. I don't have any woolrich pants so I can't give a fair comparison on that.

I've got Filson's Double Tin Chaps, Mackinaw Bibs and the Double Mackinaw Cruiser. Well worth the dough to me. I outlasted 4-5 Kuiu warriors on a miserably rainy opening day of deer season in the Wyoming range this year. No problem.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Woolrich set is 45 years old, but the new stuff is much different....looser weave wool/synthetic blend and much of it is imported. I always admired the Filson Double Mack but couldn't afford it back then. Too late for a do over now.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While the recent Woolrich isn't up to the standard of the old it is still good. Combined with the fact I find a Filson double too bulky and if you are moving hard I overheat. Good for standing the last hour or so on a cold day. If you get one size up for my first one shrank after getting wet.

Have a Filson heavy upland field coat and while nothing is it equal in shedding the jaggers, in the cold it becomes really stiff. On a mild day it can get pretty warm.

Not asked, but ive found a puff jacket under a light weight outer coat the best solution. Light weight warmth when needed, and if not it compresses down small. Tie it up and put it in a game pouch or your day pack.

Last edited by battue; 10/26/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bemidji Woolen Mills. If you call, chances are, you will get the owner of the operation.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The smell comes from the wax that is used to waterproof the Tin Cloth. I can't imagine wearing out a Tin Cloth coat in my lifetime, the Tin Cloth Chaps are a 10-15 year deal, but that's busting through heavy buck thorn and typical heavy grouse/pheasant cover every year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on my second Filson double mack; the old one magically stopped fitting. It is a heavy sucker though, but nothing feels as snug and cozy sitting on a log in the woods. They also make some lighter stuff for still-hunting or warmer days. Filson stuff is pricey, but very high quality and worth every penny. I used to have their upland vest and chaps, but gave them to my son who does a lot of bird hunting these days.

I recently ordered a Bemidji jacket just for deer hunting, but they emailed back that they were out of the fabric I ordered and didn't say when it would be available. Most websites wouldn't let you order out-of-stock stuff. They also don't have a fit guide online, so call for help before you order. Their stuff looks great and they have a lot of stuff made with 29 and 30oz fabric. Most is 85/15 wool-nylon, but a few items are pure wool. They have a blaze orange hunting coat that's 30oz pure wool that looks like a beast. Prices are well below Filson. If Filson prices are out if line for you, I'd give them a good look. I'm going to re-order that jacket I wanted later.

Some years back, I was in the Hamburg, PA Cabelas and found a washable wool, insulated coat in my size for $50 in the bargain cave. Even with a Filson in the closet, I couldn't pass it up. It's not double-caped, but it's very warm, possibly warmer than the Filson.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've got the Double Macs and the Cruisers by Filson. You can't kill them. Cant recall how old they are but figure the double Mac's are at least 20 years old; the Cruiser a bit less.I use the Cruiser more. It has to be pretty darned cold before I hike around with the Double Masc.

I have some Woolrich stuff, too. I think the Filson wool is higher quality; worth the extra money. The wool is heavier and the weave tighter on the Filson.although Woolrich is still good. Some REAL old Woolrich is on a par with Filson.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started wearing Woolrich when I began hunting in the early 60's, the red and black buffalo plaid shirt I wore then predated WW II. My first new set was a red & black makinaw and pants with knit bottoms to tuck in your boots. When I switched to straight bottom pants I bought L.L. Bean. I have had some Filson but found that it is cut smaller than Woolrich. I buy the earlier made in USA stuff off eBay, often finding like new or gently used items for good prices. I have had L.L. Bean wool cape jackets and found them to be good items, my current cape jacket is a Woolrich which is a heavier wool than the Bean and is also more generously cut to allow layering with a fleece vest on colder days.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thank you all for the excellent feedback.

can afford the Filson Double Mack, just trying to figure out if it's that much better than Woolrich.

See I'm a Pennsylvania guy and where Woolrich was made wasn't to far from our hunting camp. Like a two hour drive and once a year the family would get together and go to both stores in Woolrich, Pennsylvania.

I have alot woolrich wool shirts and I forget the one jackets name, but it was marketed with some Alaska pitch. It's a big blue down parka with coyote fur collar and was a beast while working and playing in Maine for two years. So warm, if you were walking youd only want a t shirt on underneath. I used to wear it ice fishing with just a red ram wool base layer and woolrich heavy flannel and never got cold.

My hunting style on most days is moving for awhile very very slowly and stopping for awhile. I like to slither like a snake....lol. Based on temps I'm hunting in could be on on walk in, on on walk in un buttoned or not on while walking etc.

But I want something that is warm enough to stand for awhile in one spot as well. I'm trying on a daily basis to move to Wyoming to put down roots, live the rest of my m life and retire. I want something that can keep me warm in the elevations at winter time come nasty weather. Basically looking for some [bleep] hit the fan nasty stuff blow in and I want to stay warm gear. Thanks again

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Filson.

Having owned a number of wool items from Woolrich, Johnson Woolen Mills, Codet, Filson and a couple of others, I'd say the Filson wool is the best investment if you are looking to get 20-30 years of hard use.
Most of the other seem too loose in the weave and a lot of "wool blend". None of the newer stuff from the other manufacturers stand a chance of lasting as long as the Filson wool.
The Tin Cloth packer coat with the wool liner is a good bet, and can be had in Shelter Cloth, which is a lighter weight of waxed/oiled canvas.
Granted Shelter Cloth isn't as durable as Tin Cloth, it's still tougher than Carhartts.
As for the smell, they should be hung outside (under cover of course smile ) to allow the volatile solvents to off-gas.

There is only one Filson coat I didn't like, the Double Mackinaw.
Too heavy, and bulky with double cape/sleeves and not enough in the body.
I would go with the Cape Coat and some of the newer fleece and synthetic under layers.

My favorite Filson item? The Mackinaw Wool Vest. By a mile.

http://www.filson.com/men/vests/mackinaw-wool-vest-alaska-fit.html#200

My experiences over 50+ years of wearing wool outdoors.
Of course, YMMV

Mark

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have owned Filson Jacket (outgrew), and now own a LLBean with windstopper, Johnson Mills light wool jacket. Filson is a tighter weave, and heavier than LLBean, but I love the placement of the hand warmer pockets on LLBEAN jackets, one set low and one set on the chest. In fact my wife has made fleece hunting vests and jackets for me with just the chest high hand warmers as that works best with my hunting packs and still hunting.

I currently am wearing my Filson wool vest which I will take to my grave!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Molon no one garment does it "all". But I've never seen anyone turn their nose up at a Filson Double mac. Bitter cold and snow it cuts the mustard.

You'll pass it down to the next generation. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MolonLabe41
Thank you all for the excellent feedback.

can afford the Filson Double Mack, just trying to figure out if it's that much better than Woolrich.

It's not. Filson stuff is nice, very nice, but way overpriced. My Woolrich coat is over 30 years old and still going strong. BTW anybody what are the differences between the Alaska and Seattle fit in the Filson's is, please?

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/26/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get a kick out of the Filson yuppie mags that show up in the mail.

Last one had some bullchit about farmers getting up early to harvest grain before the sun comes up.

Funny considering that is the absolute worst time be combining.

Of course maybe it isn't as humid at night out in the PNW compared to the plains...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Can't argue about Filson quality, but the stuff from Bemidji Woolen Mills is not far behind. I have used their stuff for decades and love it. Seems as though fences are about all that can destroy it!!!

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I get a kick out of the Filson yuppie mags that show up in the mail.

Last one had some bullchit about farmers getting up early to harvest grain before the sun comes up.

Funny considering that is the absolute worst time be combining.

Of course maybe it isn't as humid at night out in the PNW compared to the plains...

.......lol

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm an old timer that owned Woolrich when young. It was OK - good.

Couple of decades ago, or more, I tried Filson and never looked back. No-one else is even close neither in design or quality. I have lots of Filson everything.

Some years back Filson's president wrote to the customers contemplation having "some" product made overseas, and asked opinions. *( Last I heard everything was American made ). I wrote back and said if Filson goes off shore that's the end of Filson for me. Never again. Some short time later I read that Filson had decided to continue "American".

It's pricey. However, one hunting/sports store that I frequent does sometimes run specials. Best I recall I bought one of the "Tin Coats" for about 40% off list price.

I also have Carhart. It's good, heavy duty. I like it. *( I think some of my articles are also made in America ).

But Filson is way out there ahead *( For me ).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SamO: Yes the metro-yuppie influence has crept into all these brands....Filson, Pendleton, Woolrich,etc.. They all have lines catering to those markets even though these companies started out selling to hard core outdoorsman.

Some of it is "fashion statement" but I think the real reason is those folks (everyone from college students to professionals) got tired of freezing their asses off when the weather turned cold and nasty. smile The stuff they had did not cut it.

Got my first Filson Cruiser in Sitka ,Alaska many years ago. The commercial fisherman/brown bear guide I was with had one that was years old.I out grew it and sent it to RinB on here. grin Far as I know, he still has it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A lot of hunters in northern New England buy their wool hunting jackets from Labonville in Gorham, NH. Their item #S701 for $123.

www.labonville.com

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Another vote for Johnson Woolen Mills. Not easy to find a local retailer, but they do have a website.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The double mack is beefy and with layers underneath, it can get hard to bend your arms. The last couple of years, I've mainly reserved mine for regular Winter wear, not hunting. I've got an old, made in America Cabelas waterfowl parka with real Thinsulate, and Real Goretex (not Sears Goretex). That coat is over 20 years old and refuses to die. It's very light, very warm, and still totally waterproof. It's slightly noisy, but not overly so, and I wear an oversized cheap "Winchester" fleece jacket from Whatamart with the sleeves cut off over it to satisfy the blaze orange rules and add some pockets. Great combo for stand hunting, rain, shine, or whatever.

Ditto on the Filson vest. I wear mine under my shirt, inside my pants to add a layer, and secure pockets. I also wore it to Christmas dinner last year. Very snazzy.

While we're at it, a Stormy Kromer wool hat is the best $40 you'll ever spend.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/27/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After my Dad passed away I wore his Woolrich hunting coat (circa 1950s)for a few years until I out grew it. Thick wool with a light brown flannel lining, Heavy and warm.

Later I bought this Woolrich hunting coat that has a Thinsulate insulation liner. Just back from the dry cleaners. A little lighter than Dad's and still has my favorite feature...a large rear cargo pocket. Small thermos for coffee, drag rope, extra gloves/mittens, latex gloves, sandwich, snacks water bottle and a oversized packable two piece rain suit. Good setup while on stand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In addition, I have a lighter weight wool coat made by Codet for higher levels of activity...perfect for still hunting or on a track, quiet. It has the the double layer shoulder/yoke and is remarkably warm as is. Occasionally I layer this with Cabela's Primaloft Passage jacket. Wool plaid and a 30-30 my kinda northwoods hunting. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, it was a badge of pride to get your first Johnson Woolen red plaid wool hunting jacket. I still have mine, even though I outgrew it years ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still wear my old solid red color Woolrich hunting coat that I bought 20-30 years ago, although it seems to be shrinking again. I have actually put myself on strict diets in order to lose weight just so I could continue to wear it, and am in fact doing that very thing right now. Under it I wear a wool shirt and a pair of Woolrich wool bib overalls, with the latest lightest high tech underwear. Snug as a bug in a rug.

I will confess to lusting after a Fillson cruiser macinaw. If I could find one in solid red and size 44-46 I would jump on it like a chicken on a June Bug.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Filson double Mac uses two layers of wool over the arms and shoulders. A single Mac uses one layer of slightly heavier wool. I have a single Mac that I love, but it rarely gets cold enough in CA to wear it.

Tin cloth doesn't breathe quite as well as Goretex, but you'll go through a dozen Goretex jackets before you'll wear out a Tin cloth. Filson also makes lighter weight waxed cotton clothing called Shelter Cloth and Cover Cloth. Shelter cloth is lighter than Tin cloth, but is what many others would still call heavy duty. For the max flexibility, use Cover cloth. It's not quite as indestructible as Tin cloth, but still wears well.

http://www.highlandhiker.com/Filson-Fabrics-sp-8.html

Filson is expensive, but worth every penny. Your grandkids will be still be wearing it decades from now.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So which of the two- Shelter or Tin- would equate to a Barbour waxed cotton coat? Mine is getting a bit ratty and I promised myself a replacement this year. (For casual wear around and about, not necessarily for hunting, although I do wear it into the duck blind now and again.)

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 444Matt
The reviews said that the fabric was very stiff, also mentioned the residue/smell.

Comments no doubt Due to being purchased by wuss hipsters. I love my oil finish tin cloth packer! No issues. No "real break in" noticed.

Sorry edit. It's a tin cruiser

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/27/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buddy succembed to the temptation of buying a Filson tin whatever. Thought it would last.

He had wore through a couple spots in under a year.

I probably would avoid the high-dollar Filson if I was planning on really working in it and expecting it to hold up.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
So which of the two- Shelter or Tin- would equate to a Barbour waxed cotton coat? Mine is getting a bit ratty and I promised myself a replacement this year. (For casual wear around and about, not necessarily for hunting, although I do wear it into the duck blind now and again.)

I went with the Tin Cloth jacket and I've been very happy with it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shelter will be the closet to a normal Barbour. Although Barbour also comes in various weights. Tin cloth is heavier than Shelter.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A lot of hunters in northern New England buy their wool hunting jackets from Labonville in Gorham, NH. Their item #S701 for $123.

www.labonville.com

Been in there bud. I was responsible for TransCanadas 24 inch high pressure 1440 MOP pipeline that ran from Windham, Maine up through Gorham, some other towns, through Colebrook and Pittsburgh, Nh. It was called Portland Natural Gas. I actually bought a pair of gloves in that store.

My wife and I went to LL. Bean store Christmas Eve. Of 2001 and 2011.

I miss Colebrook grouse hunting and the Connecticut fishing

I'm going to look at Labonville, I forgot about them. Honestly though Im leaning towards Woolrich, it's what I know.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

www.labonville.com

How many ounces is this jacket, I can't get website to work.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two Filsons. My wife bought me a beautiful black double mack five years ago for Christmas. I love it and wear it as my dress jacket during the winter months. It looks sharp and is super warm.

This old buffalo plaid came from eBay several years ago for $29. It's a 50's vintage so I'm told. It had a few flaws. My wife put some black material on the cuffs to cover and stop the fraying and had to tighten up the button holes as they were pretty loose. I still love that old jacket and wear it as my every day jacket.

There are some good deals on vintage wool clothing like Woolrich and Filson as well as others on eBay or in the second stores. My wife is the thrift store queen and has found me several Pendleton wool shirts in new or very near new condition. I see nice, older wool jackets fairly often in the thrift shops.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I keep getting some website certificate crap. The website keeps flashing and can't view anything

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I still can view website, but I found some other pics online elsewhere. The labonville looks really lightweight. Not interested.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
By the way, any of you older fellas want to sale any of those old Woolrich coats let me know. Aslong as it isn't ripped to shreds, I'd be interested.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Buddy succembed to the temptation of buying a Filson tin whatever. Thought it would last.

He had wore through a couple spots in under a year.

I probably would avoid the high-dollar Filson if I was planning on really working in it and expecting it to hold up.

really curious about what he was doing... i can't think of anything any halfway normal person can do to wear one through that fast....I'm out crossing through barb wire fences and such in mine and have yet to put a hole in it and while not packing a bunch of extra weight i aint a small guy and its a tight squeeze at times grin can see wearing it out in time where it chaps/pants or such and busting alot of briars and such for a few years....

bad seam getting through QC and letting go, fugg up in water proofing ect yeah i can see it happen but cant figure how you wear through a tin cloth coat that fast...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought I'd throw in that I've had great service out of my columbia gallatin range wool, very warm and affordable.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks man.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought I'd throw in that I've had great service out of my columbia gallatin range wool, very warm and affordable.

do love Columbia stuff, some of the OmniHeat stuff works quite well and really like their hot weather shirts for staying cooler.....also on a Smartwool kick for base layer type stuff.....but most Columbia coats arent so good for where they might come in contact with barb wire and similar plant spines....only reason i shelled out for Filson was i wasnt happy haw fast the last few Carhart coats my brother and i bought started coming apart....had that not happened would likely still be wearing Carhart coats alot

Last edited by rattler; 10/27/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barb wire fences will get ya everytime. I'll second the smartwool base layers. I also use their socks, beanie and thin gloves.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My britches advice, right from the Bakken, M-1951 army wool twill pants. The weave is tight enough to be wind resistant. The price is right. Wear cordura chaps over them and if your legs are cold, you shouldn't be out there. ;-{>8

I found bird hunting was most flexible using a strap vest and whatever was the right jacket - or not, for the day. BE SURE, that whatever you have is seriously WINDPROOF. I have some of the most serious wool coats known to man and the NW ND wind can get through them.

I like my wool garments under a shell.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks all for the feedback

Let's stay closer to topic though. I'm working and living in North Dakota. Was on back of a drilling rig in the recent nasty 2013 winter here around the Tioga area, which is usually around six to ten degrees colder than Williston.I know how to dress warm and work. Question is More about brand specific. I have tons of base layers from red rams, polyesters, silks just bought set of 4.0 gear etc etc. Worked in Maine for two winters as well.

Like the title says Filson or Woolrich.

Thanks again.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Filson. smile

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Bob

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Pm sent Bob

Tight chains.

A=A

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I own Filson, Woolrich, and Johnson. I like the Filson the best but not sure I could justify the cost over the Woolrich. Johnson has always disappointed me and is a very distant 3rd. YMMV.

Last edited by JDK; 10/27/15.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JDK
I own Filson, Woolrich, and Johnson. I like the Filson the best but not sure I could justify the cost over the Woolrich. Johnson has always disappointed me and is a very distant 3rd. YMMV.

Thanks jdk and that's kind of in line with my thinking. I know Filson is nice, but so is Woolrich for 200 less. I just don't see it being almost double the price better.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy Filson. You only live once.
I love my single mac.
Have my dads USA wool rich and llbean.
Filson is like a rolex. At this point foreign made-others is a seiko.
Both tell the time.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
www.kingofthemountain.com
Expensive, like Filson. Buy used

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[quote=Bob_B257]Buy Filson. You only live once.
I love my single mac.
Have my dads USA wool rich and llbean.
Filson is like a rolex. At this point foreign made-others is a seiko.
Both tell the time.
[/quote

Hey you can't wear all those at same time. Sale me the woolrich.....haha

Tight chains.

A=A

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have a pair of Canadian Pattern 49 battle dress trousers, of wool, that are awesome! Stuff worn in Korea.

As a side note, during WWII, the Canadian Pattern 37 battle dress was always the #1 sought after uniform of commonwealth forces. The fabric was said to be much better than the English made wool! WWII stuff is Hard to find now! But the Pattern 49 stuff wasn still around a few years ago.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought some of those M-1951 pants years ago, brand new, $9 a pop, and they were great. Unfortunately they only go up to a 39" waist, and that ship sailed and sank with all hands years ago.

I replaced them with some "German Wool Pants", from Cabelas that are also very nice, but require dry cleaning. One pair is in reserve and may pass on to my offspring unworn.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TO stay on topic,

At this point in time... Filson. Seems higher quality to me than the imported Woolrich stuff. I had a Woolrich shirt a few years back, an overseas model, and while serviceable, not quite what I expected.

I just picked up a nice Filson vest and pants from the classifieds here. Suggestion, keep your eye open there.

Now, a bit off topic, but just an option, and USA made by regular folks:

http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

I have a zip jacket, evening stand extra heavy weight, from them and Teresa was nice enough to make me one without a hood as I'm a hat guy and don't like hoods unless really necessary.

I also have the zipper vest in blanket weight.

Both are nice enough for around town wear. Teresa suggests hand washing, not dry cleaning.

Last year's deer hunt with mornings down to +8 and snow I had "therma-wool" long johns, a long sleeve t shirt, the vest and the jacket and was warm enough, even while standing for a while.

Asbell's wool bandanas and scarf are nice also. I'll probably get a mackinaw hood set up to go over my jacket this year.

Spray them down with "camp dry" or some such and odds are, except for extreme downpours, one will stay dry.

Good luck with your search, and as others have noted, good used classified, ebay, amazon Filson is your friend.

Geno

PS, surplus wool "commando" sweaters are good for layering too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Molon,
my 16 year old is wearing the LL Bean red and black of my dads!!!
Hes taller than me and my single mac keeps going missing as well.
I am considering sleeping in my filson vest so I know where it is….
Had a tin packer that my Bro in Law passed my way. That was a stiff coat. Warm and dry but not like Grundens or Heally H. Too stiff to shotgun fast bird flushes with but fine for a rifle.
I sent it on to a buddy who really wanted it, because the arms were too short for me.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Valsdad,

Thanks for another unfortunate post in current woolrich. Another guy telling me same thing. Started to lean towards the Filson. I will look at link you posted.

Thanks fellas

Tight chains.

A=A

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Will have to say my Filson stuff is the best I have and worth the money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Woolrich isn't all that bad. Order one, and if isn't what you want then send it back before using. The Filson Cruiser is great. Size up and layer something under if needed. As Pappy mentioned the Filson double is bulky and will make it seem like you added an inch to your rifles LOP.

An NFL guard could wear tin cloth for an entire season and it would come out whole.

Have em all.

Last edited by battue; 10/28/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I love wool over clothes having gotten into to them while bow hunting in the '80's. My greatest experience really is just with Filson and KOM wools though, two high dollar lines. I have a couple of observations: All the Filson I've had including two whipcord wool pants and a double Mac are of the highest quality and very tight weaves. This quality goes for their non wool products too some of which I also have. My whipcords are at least twenty years old and still hold a crease like a dress pant. If it weren't for the patches and sewing where I ripped them on scree or dead falls, I could wear them to church with a sport coat. Bob is right--you cannot kill these garments. The double Mac is tightly woven and heavy but stylish at the same time. But, for me, this coat is like putting on an oven; I found I could not wear it unless on some kind of stand in very cold weather; it is too warm for moving much but great for around town during a blizzard. IMO, their economy lies in the fact you will not wear these garments out. You can also wear them in an urban setting without looking "all Billy Joe Bubba."

KOM are at least theoretically washable though I shrank a shirt one whole size once in washing; they replaced it. You have to be very careful in washing. They, if they are even making them any more, are very expensive perhaps because of getting the camo patterns on the garments. But they are not as tight a weave as Filson's IMO but, again, mine are over twenty years old and still going.

Overall, I've come to the point in life where buying quality is the cheapest and wisest in the long run IMO. Though I've not tried many Pendleton, Woolrich, and Johnson and other brands extensively, I would look first to Filson for a wool outer garment for any outdoor endeavor.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No problem finding a nice older Woolrich set here in PA at the market I go to every Sunday morning. A coat and pant set usually sell for about $50.00....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by battue
The Woolrich isn't all that bad. Order one, and if isn't what you want then send it back before using. The Filson Cruiser is great. Size up and layer something under if needed. As Pappy mentioned the Filson double is bulky and will make it seem like you added an inch to your rifles LOP.

An NFL guard could wear tin cloth for an entire season and it would come out whole.

Have em all.

Lol. Thanks man

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack
No problem finding a nice older Woolrich set here in PA at the market I go to every Sunday morning. A coat and pant set usually sell for about $50.00....

Pocono jack,

Good, then you can double your money. Find me a 2x jacket and 36 waist pants or bibs for 50 and I'll pay you 100 and shipping fee for you to mail to me

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Filson makes some great wool hunting gear along with upland wear that as many have mentioned are in the game for the long haul. Costs more, but worth it.

Then they can also get a little over the top. As in:

Flannel work shirt-$135.
Deer Skin Gloves-$88. (Friend just bought some for $14.)
Lined leather gloves-$135.
Sportsmans Bag-$360 (Just bought a high quality Mud River one for
$59-$20 coupon at Cabela's)
Scoped canvas rifle case: $320.

Some of their stuff is worth every penny if you plan to use it. Some isn't even if you plan to do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One more once- Filson, even if you go with the single weight.

Today, I ordered a Bemidji Voyaguer Jac Coat, 29oz 85/15 wool blend, for my "light" hunting jacket. I was curious about the quality of this other 'Merican made product. The comparable Filson, their Cape Coat, is $100 more. Both these models do away with the game pocket and front patch pockets that add so much bulk. I had to go with a red and black plaid as color selections are getting limited, for the obvious reason.

Just for grins, I checked out the Woolrich site and now I know why they're so much cheaper. Their hunting coats are an 18.5 oz 80/20 blend. That may be okay for running to the store, but seems a bit light for the woods, and clearly less durable.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again have one and have used it. Heavy enough and works fine in the woods. And when it gets snowed or rained on, gets just as heavy and takes as long to dry out as the original.

Like good wool gear, but truthfully there are better choices out there today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Battue, that is the exact jacket I got off my pap that got stolen. I can't remember how it fit then because I was alot younger. Plus, I've been lifting weights. Back then I trained differently. I'm pretty thick in the chest and shoulders. Monday was chest day in gym and I 45° inclined 300lbs for two reps. I'm currently fluctuating around the 220lb mark +/- a few lbs. Plus, at my size and weight I can do real wide pull ups. Tuesdays first set I got 13 reps. I'm listing this so you have an idea of size. I'm thinking a 2x with layering in mind would serve me best on the coldest of days

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You're a beeg strong boy thru the chest and I doubt if x large will fit.

300 at 45 degrees is impressive. I would be a puddle of chit under the bench. frown

Addition: But I'm quick. smile

Last edited by battue; 10/28/15.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I don't have an eBay account. Might have to create one and try to find a second hand one.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looked and x large was all I could currently find.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
If you find one I'll pay you for it plus some. And that's where I'm at now I believe. I'm either getting an older made in USA Woolrich and skipping newer ones or getting that one link somebody posted where the lady makes them pullovers. I'm thinking about getting her to make me a zipper jacket out of what she refers to as blanket weight and then getting one of her pullovers for layering underneath. Plus I did just buy a nice woolrich shirt cheap off a member here at the fire. I'll be getting that next week

Tight chains.

A=A

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No. If I find one you'll pay what it costs and nothing more.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thank you sir. What goes around comes around

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I'd guess Shelter. Tin Cloth is really beefy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful with the old ones. Some of them had a layer of foam rubber-ish stuff for insulation and when it gets old and drys out, it crumbles up inside and leaks all over like sand. My brother had one like that.

The Bemidji comes today. Whoo hoo.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I knew a guy, with few synapses firing in his brain, who insisted on leaving his hunting clothes, including some prime vintage Woolrich, draped over his fence from October 'til New Years so as to banish all human odors. Year after year, rain or shine, the stuff was out there quietly rotting away. He always looked like a homeless guy in the Bowery. Never mind his clothes certainly didn't reek, but he did, as he refused to bathe until hunting season was over- didn't want any soap or deodorant scent to alert the deer...

I took to refusing him entry into my truck when we went hunting.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/29/15.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have gotten good deals on wool macks and such from these folks! All brands. Bought a like new, vintage Chippewa Mills red and black Mack that is my go to elk hunting coat. $75!!!!!
Just look thru their hunting clothes!

http://www.vintagetrends.com

Founder

WS

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rattler

do love Columbia stuff, some of the OmniHeat stuff works quite well and really like their hot weather shirts for staying cooler.....also on a Smartwool kick for base layer type stuff.....but most Columbia coats arent so good for where they might come in contact with barb wire and similar plant spines....only reason i shelled out for Filson was i wasnt happy haw fast the last few Carhart coats my brother and i bought started coming apart....had that not happened would likely still be wearing Carhart coats alot

I have a Columbia blaze orange wool coat that I bought in 2003. It's been a hellova jacket.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
A big thanks to Pocono jack who is shipping me some pants and 260Remguy who found me a jacket. The jacket is only XL, but I'm figuring when it's not so cold I could probably get by with wearing my under armor cold gear 4.0 and a maybe just a wool shirt would be all I need.I'm going to continue looking for a 50-52 2x though.

Both guys hooked me up with really generous deals/prices as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again fellas, I truly appreciate it.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gotta love this place, lots of good people

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by rattler
gotta love this place, lots of good people

Yes sir, I couldnt agree more.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Bemidji came today and the quality is first-rate. Just like Grandpa's!

Not enough room for layering, so will go back for a bigger one.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Pap, what style did you buy?

Never mind I seen what you said above--voyager. I'm thinking about having a blanket weight zipper jacket made and a medium weight pullover hood made at the link Valsdad posted. In fact, I think I'm calling them now.

Last edited by MolonLabe41; 10/31/15. Reason: Looked up paps model

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Valsdad, I reread last post you made and it has convinced me all the way down to and accept the part about hunting in downpours.

I've had my fair days of that jazz and I'll simply stay in stoking the fire all day and chasing the Mrs around the house. Tomorrow's another day for this fella nowadays. I've had to work year round in extreme weather crazy all my life and I'm done with that for the moment... snowstorms I dig, but the torrential downpours nada.

Thanks for the awesome website link

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Valsdad, I reread last post you made and it has convinced me all the way down to and accept the part about hunting in downpours.

I've had my fair days of that jazz and I'll simply stay in stoking the fire all day and chasing the Mrs around the house. Tomorrow's another day for this fella nowadays. I've had to work year round in extreme weather crazy all my life and I'm done with that for the moment... snowstorms I dig, but the torrential downpours nada.

Thanks for the awesome website link

I mostly feel the same about "playing" around in downpours. I still have to work in them at times. Everyone else can have their Gore-tex and other breathable stuff and I'll stick with the old style H/H or Grundens canvas backed rubber gear. But I can't hunt in that stuff as I'm not much for sitting a stand. 2 hours and I gotta move.

The wool stuff breaths, and when I start to get soaked a bit, time to head home.

Beside... chasing the Mrs around is fun too.

I hope the Asbells do you right as they have me.

Geno

PS, the stuff I got from them was generously sized. You might provide your actual measurements it you like stuff to really fit. My vest could actually be a size smaller, but what the heck, I'm happy enough.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last decent buck I killed was in 2011, on the the second day of a steady rain. I was on the ground, but next to a big oak and under one of those umbrella thingys. They're worth their weight in gold, especially for working stiffs that can't pick and choose their hunting days. My deer ended up in a foot and a half of water in a small pool that had formed in the bottom of a ravine. Up until I waded in to drag out my buck, I was pretty dry thanks to the umbrella and my old Cabelas Gore-tex coat. If not for the umbrella, I never would have lasted out there for a day and a half to see the deer I ended up shooting.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue

Have em all.

Lol. Thanks man

I wore out a pair of tin pants in five weeks. They replaced them without question. Tin jacket will last me the rest of my life. I would go with US made Filson every time as my first choice.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$90 Helley Hansen shell and the proper base layer is tough to beat.

Stops raining or snowing and just take it off.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
My britches advice, right from the Bakken, M-1951 army wool twill pants. The weave is tight enough to be wind resistant. The price is right. Wear cordura chaps over them and if your legs are cold, you shouldn't be out there. ;-{>8

I found bird hunting was most flexible using a strap vest and whatever was the right jacket - or not, for the day. BE SURE, that whatever you have is seriously WINDPROOF. I have some of the most serious wool coats known to man and the NW ND wind can get through them.

I like my wool garments under a shell.

Good advice...

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks fellas

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Update

I put four envelopes in the mail at the exact same time to buy items off of campfire members. Three of them have been cashed and the one that hasn't been is 260Remguy. If anybody has his contact info that would be great. I think his pm's must be full because he isn't answering. Plus, I think he acidentally hit remove myself from our messages last week. Now I don't have his name or address. The last time I heard from him was two days ago.

I hope he didn't change his mind on selling the coat. If you read this 260 clean your mailbox here please.

I need to message you a Pennsylvania address because we're moving from North Dakota back home to Pennsylvania.

Thanks buddy

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
TO stay on topic,

At this point in time... Filson. Seems higher quality to me than the imported Woolrich stuff. I had a Woolrich shirt a few years back, an overseas model, and while serviceable, not quite what I expected.

I just picked up a nice Filson vest and pants from the classifieds here. Suggestion, keep your eye open there.

Now, a bit off topic, but just an option, and USA made by regular folks:

http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

I have a zip jacket, evening stand extra heavy weight, from them and Teresa was nice enough to make me one without a hood as I'm a hat guy and don't like hoods unless really necessary.

I also have the zipper vest in blanket weight.

Both are nice enough for around town wear. Teresa suggests hand washing, not dry cleaning.

Last year's deer hunt with mornings down to +8 and snow I had "therma-wool" long johns, a long sleeve t shirt, the vest and the jacket and was warm enough, even while standing for a while.

Asbell's wool bandanas and scarf are nice also. I'll probably get a mackinaw hood set up to go over my jacket this year.

Spray them down with "camp dry" or some such and odds are, except for extreme downpours, one will stay dry.

Good luck with your search, and as others have noted, good used classified, ebay, amazon Filson is your friend.

Geno

PS, surplus wool "commando" sweaters are good for layering too.

Geno,

Thanks for this lead, she told me she had what I wanted(blanket weight zipper jacket with hood)in stock in olive drab. I sent her payment already and I'm waiting

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks everybody 260Remguy got ahold of me already

Tight chains.

A=A

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Might as well have the best

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At long last, after a misstep (my fault), today I received my Bemidji Voyageur Jac Coat. It's 29oz 100% virgin wool in blaze orange, made in the USA. The quality is first rate, equal to my Filson caped mac. The fabric is 20% heavier than the Filson, but without the lower patch pockets, caped yoke and sleeves, and game pocket, the total weight is considerably less. The pockets are limited to two buttoned chest pockets and two handwarmer pockets. There's a generous collar big enough to fold up to protect my neck and plenty of room in the sleeves to permit layering without limiting movement.

I originally ordered my regular size, but it just fit and wouldn't allow me to put anything substantial underneath. In addition, the red and black plaid fabric was only 24oz 85/15 wool/nylon and the weave seemed somewhat looser than Filson's. Due to the seasonal demand, color selection was limited, so I bit the bullet and went for a dedicated hunting coat in blaze. The color is deep blaze orange, but not as bright as most hunting vests.

This is going to be perfect for the weather we typically have during the deer season and a much more practical weight for still-hunting than the heavy Filson, which is now my designated Winter coat.

If you're in the market for US made wool coats, pants, etc. give Bemidji a look. If you see something you like, I suggest you call and verify availability before ordering.
http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/d..._jac_coat&c=Bemidji%20Woolen%20Mills

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/18/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Filson. Not even a contest IMHO. Worth the extra bones.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Update

I put four envelopes in the mail at the exact same time to buy items off of campfire members. Three of them have been cashed and the one that hasn't been is 260Remguy. If anybody has his contact info that would be great. I think his pm's must be full because he isn't answering. Plus, I think he acidentally hit remove myself from our messages last week. Now I don't have his name or address. The last time I heard from him was two days ago.

I hope he didn't change his mind on selling the coat. If you read this 260 clean your mailbox here please.

I need to message you a Pennsylvania address because we're moving from North Dakota back home to Pennsylvania.

Thanks buddy

Jason,

If you're out there, I wanted to let you know that I haven't received your cheque for the Woolrich jacket, so I'm going to unpack it and put it back in the closet. If you decide that you still want it after you get settled in PA, it will probably still be here, just let me know.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.