Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking to possibly acquire my first M1A - what should I look for or look out for? Not looking for a competition gun, just plinking - but I figured ya'll would know more about them than anywhere else...

Full size or shorty?

NM or SOCOM? (are those mutually exclusive?)

Found one with a scope - is that a bad or good thing? (Are scope mounts permanent?)

Any knowledge welcome - I'm a pistol guy... Thanks!

BP-B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Don't know much about scope mounts but I own a "loaded" model Springfield. If doing it again I'd probably spring for a Fulton Armory made version. Would not recommend the short versions for shooting on a public range, muzzle blast is harsh with those. Mcmillan's are fairly easy to find on the used market for M1A's, and tend to be much cheaper than the typical Rem 700 versions. Aside from that, I'd look for an older "pre-ban" model with bayonet lug just for the slight resale value therein.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 09/26/15.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
When you say "plinking," that usually means shooting surplus ammo. If that's the case, then you'd be better off with the "rack grade" guns like the Standard, the Squad Scout or the Socom 16. That's because the tighter chambered models like the Loaded, NM, and the Super Match have tighter chambers which may not handle some of the cheaper surplus ammo.
Scope mounts are not permanent. But the conventional mounts, over the receiver, require a cheek pad to raise your eye for the high mounts for such a scope. The Scout and Socom models will take scout style scopes and require no such additions.
I have an Scout Squad. Shoots alot better than I thought it would. Groups 1.5 MOA or better are common with some of my handloads. Ditto for the Leupold 1.5-4X Scout Scope. Alot better an image than I thought it would have and very accurate adjustments.
They Socom and the Scout come with muzzle brakes and short barrels so they are loud. But nobody has complained to me about mine at my local gun club.
The Socom comes with a much wider front sight that shows up well in bad light. Odviously designed as a self defense rifle.
The trigger on mine was excellent right out of the box. E

D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the information! Didn't think about a shorter version being louder... Most of the time just me shooting at the farm, so maybe not such a big deal.

I avoid surplus ammo... sounds like another good reason to keep my distance.

Are these "lefty friendly"? The AR I shot in basic had a bad habit of throwing hot brass down the back of my shirt - until the DI gave me a brass deflector. Would I need a similar device to shoot an M1A or does it throw brass to the side or forward?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Do NOT waste money on a Fulton Armory M1A.

If you want a competition accurate one have it built by a known smith.

Buy either a reciever or a rack grade M1A and upgrade.

FWIW the rack grade M1As we started with from Springfield, once bedded, would shoot MOA or even a tiny bit under with the right ammo...

RE scope mounting, we used scopes to test ammo for accuracy, never had a cheekpiece but if you are going to shoot scope all the time it will help.

Any mount needs hardened inserts to mate with the mounting grooves, beyond that its ok. Unless you get a new one with a rail, never shot those.

Don't recall on brass, but THINK it threw it forward, it was the early 90s when we both shot them in competition.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, Jeff, all the REAL M14 smiths are dead or retired.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's see ... no Fulton ... no Ruger .... anyone else wink ....

Jeff your package will get shipped tomorrow morning.

g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have three Springfield's
Socom 16 was my first and a blast to shoot
Scout was my second I set it up with a detachable 3 gen. night vision. it shoots great.
The Socom is still funner to shoot.

And my Favorite

An M21 with an adjustable match grade trigger added
Scary accurate. I just wish I was as good as the Rifle.

I shoot surplus out of the Socom 16 and the Scout and nothing but my reloads out of the M21.

I had a gun dealer once tell me you can never go wrong with a Springfield for the price.

After pulling the trigger on my M21 and feeling the sand paper in the Socom 16 and Scout. I replaced both triggers with the adjustable match grade trigger and it really changed how they feel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a .308 Garand to scratch the M1a itch .... guess what? ... I'm still itchy laugh

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Man, Jeff, all the REAL M14 smiths are dead or retired.

Thats what the gun should be too... retired. LOL.

I dunno, there are still folks around that know the guns.. have a local one here I could likely twist into work.

I suspect our buddy Nez will be playing with em too...

Its nothing to tough... its all in the ability to do things slow and precise, not fast and for the bucks...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mine ejects it's brass slightly up and out at from 1-2 o'clock. You Tube has videos of leftys shooting them w/o problems.
The design "should be retired ?". I've owned and hunted the Remington and Browning semi auto rifles. I've played around with the AR style guns as well. For my hunting needs, the M1A has properties that neither the Remington or Browning semi autos have. They will run a long time w/o much care even under bad conditions. They are easier to make follow up shots and they handle more naturally when I shoot from field positions.
In spite of their high costs, they have something to offer those who understand them. E

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Mine ejects it's brass slightly up and out at from 1-2 o'clock. You Tube has videos of leftys shooting them w/o problems.
The design "should be retired ?". I've owned and hunted the Remington and Browning semi auto rifles. I've played around with the AR style guns as well. For my hunting needs, the M1A has properties that neither the Remington or Browning semi autos have. They will run a long time w/o much care even under bad conditions. They are easier to make follow up shots and they handle more naturally when I shoot from field positions.
In spite of their high costs, they have something to offer those who understand them. E

SSSSHHHH
you will let the secret out and they are already hard to get.

SSSHHHHH

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You might check with your local rifle range and see if any retired competition shooters have a used rifle they would be willing to sell.
Precision Shooting magazine used to have classified ads, I don't know if they still do or not.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.