-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One of my best friends has dreamed of taking a brown bear in Alaska with is bow, and doing it on film. He's looking a couple of years down the road, but what would you guys suggest in relation to a guide, timeline, equipment, the works? He's not much on the computer, so I'm posting this for him (both of us, really) so he can find a good place to start. This is just the planning phase, but doing this with archery tackle is going to make it even tougher. I figure the cost is going to be in the $15-$20,000 range. Who would you guys suggest using, certain areas, anything would help us out.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd say fall hunt for sure. On the salmon streams somewhere or maybe the beaches on Afognak or Kodiak. Some areas of the state have been opened for baiting in the spring and those hunts are usually a bunch cheaper if he wanted to go that route.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd bet baited would be by far a more sure shot so to speak.

The spot and stalk would be much more fun.

A good friend guides and has a really good success rate on Browns. But they are gun folks

For archery I would go with him if he would take me, but thats just cause we've been friends forever.

But I would make sure on bait or stalk, that your guide has worked with or specializes in archery folks. It can make a HUGE difference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have much real help, but you might find this video interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJLISMIPjg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looked like a poor first shot, but that's what he's after. There's a good reason the guides don't carry bows too....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a good reason the guides don't carry bows too....

They should. If you have confidence in a bow, go all the way. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by milespatton

Wouldn't bother me in the least if the guide had nothing. Much higher chances of dying on the drive to the airport IMHO.

And if done correctly the odds of anything happening are really slim.

We are not on top of the food chain. We are high up, but not on top.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by milespatton

Wouldn't bother me in the least if the guide had nothing. Much higher chances of dying on the drive to the airport IMHO.

And if done correctly the odds of anything happening are really slim.

We are not on top of the food chain. We are high up, but not on top.

Sorry but you are all wet on the drive to the airport thing and comparing it to bears and also bush flying. Lost way too many friends to bush plane accidents.

Have been forced to shoot more than one bear that would have made things a lot worse than a NYC cab ride.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope, all in all the hours spent on the road are more dangerous.

How many friends have you lost? We can compare to how many dead bodies I"ve pulled out of vehicles? I"ve pulled 6 dead ones out in the last 2 weeks...

Yes on shooting bears, but then certain scenarios that folks should walk away from IMHO. But when you push things...

How many bowhunters have you had to shoot bears for?

Not stirring the pot either, just a simple observation overall and a serious set of questions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

How many friends have you lost? We can compare to how many dead bodies I"ve pulled out of vehicles? I"ve pulled 6 dead ones out in the last 2 weeks...

Yes on shooting bears, but then certain scenarios that folks should walk away from IMHO. But when you push things...

Not stirring the pot either, just a simple observation overall and a serious set of questions.

If you only include major airlines you are correct... start talking bush flying and all that goes out the window PER MANHOUR IN THE AIR. Step from their to private pilots and the numbers are vastly different.

Far more vehicles pass through your AO everyday than take off from Lake Hood. Got to keep the fruit the same color...

The last pilot/friend fatality was in June.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think I would ever hunt brown bears with a bow, but if I did, would damn sure have someone with a rifle in tow.

Even from a tree stand I would take the rifle.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

If you only include major airlines you are correct... start talking bush flying and all that goes out the window PER MANHOUR IN THE AIR. Step from their to private pilots and the numbers are vastly different.

Far more vehicles pass through your AO everyday than take off from Lake Hood. Got to keep the fruit the same color...

The last pilot/friend fatality was in June.

Very sorry to hear about the friend, and I get the apples to apples things.

The seriousness of bears just doesn't bother me. I don't ignore it, but if it is, it is.. as simple as that. We all go sometimes. I doubt I'll go by bear but if so, that was what was supposed to happen.

Don't think i'll hunt em with an 80 ttsx though. LOL.

Seriously I don't know how many man hours per fatality, but I know I drag out probably 10 to 20 a year, and more that die later on. But we are tiny small town USA, so we don't see as much traffic as others.

Regardless, I'd do a bowhunt, without a backup, my choice, no big deal. Roll the dice lets sort it out.

I'm actually more scared of a cow moose caught off guard with a calf... but I guess I'm weird.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with ya on the cow and calf situation. I was once laying on the trail stretching my leg after twisting a knee when I heard something moving in the brush not far from me. It was late may, I was alone and didn't have a gun with me. I made some noise and was actually relieved when a gray wolf walked out 40 yards away. I still got off the ground fairly quickly.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Archie Nesbitt brown bear hunting video. Amazing. He stalks and shoots a monster in a creek bed. You can feel the excitement. I searched and am having no luck locating the video.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.