Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

I just got a Cabela’s sales flyer in the mail. They are advertising a blued steel Tikka T3 Lite for $500. There is NO cheap scope included.

Ad says: blued barrel and action, synthetic stock, adjustable trigger, three shot MOA guarantee.
.243 Win, .308 Win, .270 Win, 30-06 Sp., .300 Win Mag

OK……blued versus stainless……. Is it safe to assume that this blued version would shoot, feel, and function the same as the more expensive stainless steel version?

Is the stock and trigger the same in both versions?

Is this a competitive price?

Thanks folks

FjLee Denver CO

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes.

Yes.

And Yes.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sportsmans' warehouse will have them for $449 on black Friday, I'm told

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Any idea when their Black Friday will be?

FjLee Denver CO

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by fjlee

FjLee Denver CO

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess on Black Friday...

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by fjlee

FjLee Denver CO

November 27th like the rest of USA...

Ted
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yes.

Yes.

And Yes.

ingwe, I think I was talking to you guys about this very thing in TX for my son. I still need to get him a rifle for Christmas. What caliber should I get? I want something that will kill pigs all the way up to large animals, mule deer or possibly even elk if we ever have the chance to get out west. He keeps telling me he wants a Rem 700 in .308, but if I can pick up one of these am I better off?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Yes.

Yes.

And Yes.

ingwe, I think I was talking to you guys about this very thing in TX for my son. I still need to get him a rifle for Christmas. What caliber should I get? I want something that will kill pigs all the way up to large animals, mule deer or possibly even elk if we ever have the chance to get out west. He keeps telling me he wants a Rem 700 in .308, but if I can pick up one of these am I better off?

I got one in 30-06 and as much as I would prefer a wood stocked blued rifle in the cabinet, I can't see me selling this thing considering how well it shoots the general durability of the stainless-synthetic composition.

And its lighter than hell.

If he wants to be a gun whore, let him choose his poison, but if you want to get him something that strictly gets the job done - and is durable, buy it.

308 or 30-06 will meet your criteria.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RWE
Yes.

Yes.

And Yes.

I got one in 30-06 and as much as I would prefer a wood stocked blued rifle in the cabinet, I can't see me selling this thing considering how well it shoots the general durability of the stainless-synthetic composition.

And its lighter than hell.

If he wants to be a gun whore, let him choose his poison, but if you want to get him something that strictly gets the job done - and is durable, buy it.

308 or 30-06 will meet your criteria.

Thank you for your input. I know nothing about rifles. I was just afraid that .308 might be too much. Thanks.

Ronald Reagan
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be just right for elk

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Brian if you could snag one in a 7mm-08 I would think that would be just about ideal.....
.260...if they make such a thing would be good, as would a 6.5.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...for my son. I still need to get him a rifle for Christmas. What caliber should I get? I want something that will kill pigs all the way up to large animals, mule deer or possibly even elk if we ever have the chance to get out west. He keeps telling me he wants a Rem 700 in .308, but if I can pick up one of these am I better off?

No.

Get him what he wants. The .308 Remington 700 is perfect for him.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Brian if you could snag one in a 7mm-08 I would think that would be just about ideal.....
.260...if they make such a thing would be good, as would a 6.5.....

I thought real men hunted everything with a 223 AI! grin

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ingwe beat me to the punch. Buy him a 7-08 and tell him it's based on the 308 cartridge but the 7mm bullets are better. Worked for my Dad. powdr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into it. Are 7mm-08 readily available?

Ronald Reagan
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buds has a T3 light and the wood stocked forest on sale, but contact whitaker guns (site sponsor) and see what he has.

For the record, isaac shoots a 7-08, IIRC.

That right there would scare me off.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pal
...for my son. I still need to get him a rifle for Christmas. What caliber should I get? I want something that will kill pigs all the way up to large animals, mule deer or possibly even elk if we ever have the chance to get out west. He keeps telling me he wants a Rem 700 in .308, but if I can pick up one of these am I better off?

No.

Get him what he wants. The .308 Remington 700 is perfect for him.

THere is validity in this, plus you should be able to buy a 700 in 308 for 300 ish bucks on sales....

I'd take the Tika over the REm, though at 300, I"d take the rem and rebarrel it if needed personally...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just looked it up on Cabalas. It's in store only. I should have known that. The closest one is 3 hours away. I'm going to go up to the gun shop I usually use and price out both. I'll let you know what I end up with. I think he was telling me he wanted a Rem 700 because he knows they're cheaper and he'll be more likely to get one. But cheap isn't always better. I'm inclined to listen to your input more because you guys are experts.......I think? smile

Here's the next question. I'll need to put a scope on it, but don't want to spend a million bucks. Plus I need to replace the scope on my Encore 30-06. I caught a lot of flack on the pig hunt for my stupid Bushnell that didn't hold after the flight. I know you guys like Leupolds and I know they can get a little pricey, but again, as I found out with the Bushnell, cheap isn't better. I'm thinking 3-9 X 40. What do you think?

I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd contact Darrik at Whittaker's and see what he can do on a Tikka. My guess is that he'll be very competitive. It's two hours to the closest Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro, and over three to a Cabela's and mega Bass Pro. It's hardly worth the drive to buy rifles by the time I add in nearly 9% sales tax and fuel for the round trip.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yea, I'm on their website now. They show various Tikka T3's but no pricing. That tells me they don't stock them but can order. I'll try giving him a call.

Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.