-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Brian, call Eric or Darrik at whit takers. Darrik started a thread on a Tikka exclusive they are offering at a good price, blue super light with camo stock. Also ask about the upcoming rebate ion Leupold Scopes Nov.15

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Originally Posted by ingwe
Brian if you could snag one in a 7mm-08 I would think that would be just about ideal.....
.260...if they make such a thing would be good, as would a 6.5.....

I thought real men hunted everything with a 223 AI! grin

They do.

But Tikka doesn't chamber a .223AI...

And theres so few real men left....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Brian, call Eric or Darrik at whit takers. Darrik started a thread on a Tikka exclusive they are offering at a good price, blue super light with camo stock. Also ask about the upcoming rebate ion Leupold Scopes Nov.15

Thanks, I'll give them a call. I'm afraid that if I tell them who sent me, they might jack up the price.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Also, Tikka does make a 7mm-08.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Thanks, I'll give them a call. I'm afraid that if I tell them who sent me, they might jack up the price.

Words hurt Brian.....

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by pal
...for my son. I still need to get him a rifle for Christmas. What caliber should I get? I want something that will kill pigs all the way up to large animals, mule deer or possibly even elk if we ever have the chance to get out west. He keeps telling me he wants a Rem 700 in .308, but if I can pick up one of these am I better off?

No.

Get him what he wants. The .308 Remington 700 is perfect for him.

THere is validity in this, plus you should be able to buy a 700 in 308 for 300 ish bucks on sales....

I'd take the Tika over the REm, though at 300, I"d take the rem and rebarrel it if needed personally...

The kid already did his research. He can buy relatively cheap .308 ammo just about anywhere he'll ever shoot.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fjlee
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Sportsmans' warehouse will have them for $449 on black Friday, I'm told

Any idea when their Black Friday will be?

FjLee Denver CO

Made me spit coffee! dog is looking at me with a concerned look...

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Looking for an answer from Tikka guys...

Is the T3 only one action length? If so, can't see any advantage to having a .308 or 7/08 in a long action rifle, or am I wrong?

Do they just use a long action for everything?

-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cv540

Is the T3 only one action length? If so, can't see any advantage to having a .308 or 7/08 in a long action rifle, or am I wrong?

Yep, one size (long action) fits all. Funny because Sako makes 6 action sizes for the Model 85. So the T3 is a great way of getting a long magnum in a lightweight package at an affordablt price.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anybody have one in a short action caliber? If so does it feel handy like most short action bolt guns?

-George Washington
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been busy as schitt today, but managed to slip up to the gun shop at lunch because I'm out of Triple 7 50/50 pellets. It ML season here and I need to kill some deer.

I got a price on the rifles. He quoted me $689.00 on the Rem 700 and $649.00 on the Tikka. Both with plastic stocks and blued. I asked him his opinion on .308 or 7mm-08 and he said the availability on .308 ammo is better.

I might have to wait until tomorrow to call Wittaker's. I'm leaving out of here in about 40 min. to hit the woods. That's more important. I'm getting a little frustrated, I've been passing up small bucks for the past month and haven't drawn blood yet. Right now it's doe's only, unless of course this bigazz 10 pt presents himself again. This time I'll have a smoke pole instead of a bow. He might get checked in on Monday as a bow kill. smile

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Terryk

Yep, one size (long action) fits all. Funny because Sako makes 6 action sizes for the Model 85. So the T3 is a great way of getting a long magnum in a lightweight package at an affordablt price.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "long action" mean? Geezz, I can see a new stupid thread being created already, kinda like the .223AI thread. But really, educate me.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes.

Yes.

And Yes.

ingwe, I think I was talking to you guys about this very thing in TX for my son. I still need to get him a rifle for Christmas. What caliber should I get? I want something that will kill pigs all the way up to large animals, mule deer or possibly even elk if we ever have the chance to get out west. He keeps telling me he wants a Rem 700 in .308, but if I can pick up one of these am I better off?

If he wants a 700 in .308, that's what I would get him. There are no real warts on the 700, and it will be his gun. My daughter wanted a 700 in .243 and ended up buying one. It is a solid gun and incredibly accurate.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Most makers have different length actions.

.308, 7/08, .350 Rem mag, Short Action Magnums have an action and bolt that is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than...

long actions---30-06, 270, 300 Win Mag.

Some think they are more handy, and most are somewhat lighter.

That's why buying a .308 in a Tikka seems odd. A 30-06 gives you more case capacity, with no penalty.

-George Washington
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. I knew it was probably something self explanatory like that, but wasn't sure. I'm trying to learn.

Ronald Reagan
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...buying a .308 in a Tikka seems odd. A 30-06 gives you more case capacity, with no penalty.

Except recoil.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pal
...buying a .308 in a Tikka seems odd. A 30-06 gives you more case capacity, with no penalty.

Except recoil.

Good point. 308 give you a bit less recoil than an 06, a 7/08 quite a bit less recoil. For a new shooter, this is important.

-George Washington
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Here's the next question. I'll need to put a scope on it, but don't want to spend a million bucks. ... I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Any input? Well, in that case...

I got curious about the the Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32, so I ordered one from Doug a few weeks back. It's got really nice view, especially for $199, shipped. It's not svelte, nor ultralight, and it does have a big honkin' ocular on it (but I can fix that with higher rings, or a piece of electrical tape where the bolt handle will smack into it. laugh ). In any case, I may end up finding another rifle, just so that scope will have something to ride on.

I don't know what else, NIB, would be as good at that price point. Another $100 would put you at the Conquest 3-9 or Meopta. Very nice glass, to be sure.

Alternatively, you could spend $200 or less here in the classifieds, and get a previously enjoyed VX-what-the-hell, or a FFII, or an Elite 4200, or something like that, which would be more than serviceable.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Sportsmans' warehouse will have them for $449 on black Friday, I'm told

What'll Black Friday price be on T3 Superlites?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Right now Scheels has T3 stainless for $549 in Wi/Mn

It was awfully hard to put back in the rack!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,197
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.