Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Last year we published Eileen's latest cookbook, SAUSAGE SEASON, with spiral binding for just that reason. This year we ran out of the original hard-cover SLICE OF THE WILD copies, so reprinted it in paperback with spiral binding, so they will lie flat too. Unfortunately, we didn't make the print larger in either book, because Eileen wanted the sausage book to match the layout of SLICE.

But THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK does have a much larger font, for the very reason you suggest--short arms on many readers!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ummm... John, the chapter on the .300 Wby,you have a pic of a bull elk you killed in Colorado. The caption reads "This eating-sized elk taken with a .300 Weatherby mentioned on the PREVIOUS page was a welcome addition to our freezer." There's no mention on the previous page of you getting that elk,or any page in that chapter.

Just a heads up.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 10/29/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got my copy in the mail yesterday...

All I can say is WoW!

another home run John!

looking forward to a lot of enjoyable times reading a chapter here and there, during my leisure time...

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ken,

Read the caption to the close-up photo of the rifle and ammo on the previous page, and you'll find the mention of the elk.

There are some typos in this printing, including three that we decided were serious enough to include an "errata" sheet with the books shipped in the last few days. But here they are for those who didn't get the sheet:

On page 29, second line from the top. "2fps/inch rule" should read "2fps/degree rule."

At the bottom of page 421 in the last paragraph, the formula for calculating the area of a circle is described as "Pi squared times the radius" when it should read "Pi times the radius squared." But all the bore areas listed were figured correctly.

On page 427 the last line of the recoil-formula example for the .243 Winchester should read "ME 1867/174 = 10.7"

The one part of the book where there apparently aren't any typos is the loading data. That's because Eileen and I went over it several times, then gave copies to two friends who are serious handloaders and had them check it all out. Then we changed the few mistakes they found, and checked it all again several times again.

Yesterday we had to order a second printing, because in the first week we shipped about 60% of the first printing. The next one will include corrections of the above mistakes, plus a few others that weren't as important, but just puzzling. One was apparently caused by computer glitch, where the number 2/3 was somehow inserted in the middle of a word!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I can't fault you very much. You can probably believe the fun I had dealing with nagging typos when I was publishing papers about systems of differential equations and their numerical approximations which included large quantities of summations, indices, subscripts, superscripts, yadda yadda.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
JB,

My two copies just arrived. I'm sure my friend will enjoy the inscription in his copy, and I do appreciate the unanticipated one in mine.

Thanks,
Dave a/k/a mathman

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ken,

Read the caption to the close-up photo of the rifle and ammo on the previous page, and you'll find the mention of the elk.

There are some typos in this printing, including three that we decided were serious enough to include an "errata" sheet with the books shipped in the last few days. But here they are for those who didn't get the sheet:

On page 29, second line from the top. "2fps/inch rule" should read "2fps/degree rule."

At the bottom of page 421 in the last paragraph, the formula for calculating the area of a circle is described as "Pi squared times the radius" when it should read "Pi times the radius squared." But all the bore areas listed were figured correctly.

On page 427 the last line of the recoil-formula example for the .243 Winchester should read "ME 1867/174 = 10.7"

The one part of the book where there apparently aren't any typos is the loading data. That's because Eileen and I went over it several times, then gave copies to two friends who are serious handloaders and had them check it all out. Then we changed the few mistakes they found, and checked it all again several times again.

Yesterday we had to order a second printing, because in the first week we shipped about 60% of the first printing. The next one will include corrections of the above mistakes, plus a few others that weren't as important, but just puzzling. One was apparently caused by computer glitch, where the number 2/3 was somehow inserted in the middle of a word!

Gotcha.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 10/29/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just picked my copy up from the mail today. Looks like I'll be staying up late tonight reading!

Thanks MD!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
John: Received my copy in the mail today. I was house painting but played hooky to thumb through. Great addition to your other two books in my library. It will take all my willpower not to try to go through the book immediately, but parse it out over the cold winter nights!
thanks much!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,
Mine arrived safe and secure. Inscriptions are great.

I saw the 2/3 thing and laughed. Also noticed a caption in a margin with no picture.

Oh the joys of publishing, eh?

Thanks to you and Eileen also.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Geno,

Thanks for your sharp eye, but that's probably a sidebar, not a lonely caption. Or at least Eileen and I haven't found any like that in dozens of checks on the sidebars and captions. What page is it on?

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking right now, had looked thru 25-20, 303 and a few others in passing. (obsessive reader, hard to stop even if I have little interest in cartridge, but loonyism rears it's ugly head!)

Yep, appears to be sidebar. My bad,, it's the one in the .303 chapter about your friend Jay. First chapter I read and was expecting picture of the "holes from the first three Sierra..."

Ooops.

Geno

PS, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. wink

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/29/15. Reason: My bad

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Looking right now, had looked thru 25-20, 303 and a few others in passing. (obsessive reader, hard to stop even if I have little interest in cartridge, but loonyism rears it's ugly head!)

Yep, appears to be sidebar. My bad,, it's the one in the .303 chapter about your friend Jay. First chapter I read and was expecting picture of the "holes from the first three Sierra..."

Ooops.

Geno

PS, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. wink
Don't feel bad,it happens to the best of us. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My copy came today, so I'll have something to do when it rains. By the way - how many calibers in the book does one have to own before being a certifiable loony? Which ones are worth more points, and which ones beside the 270 deduct points?

That 9.3 B-S looks like fun. Now, to find one of those "10 zillion short Remington 700 actions" in left-hand on something I don't care to keep intact.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
The number to qualify as a CRL would depend on the cartridges. You could own 8 rifles in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield and .300 Winchester Magnum and just be an ORL (Ordinary Rifle Loony).

But if you own 4 rifles in .22 K-Hornet, .300 H&H, .348 WCF and .450/.400 3" you're definitely a CRL!

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The number to qualify as a CRL would depend on the cartridges. You could own 8 rifles in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield and .300 Winchester Magnum and just be an ORL (Ordinary Rifle Loony).

But if you own 4 rifles in .22 K-Hornet, .300 H&H, .348 WCF and .450/.400 3" you're definitely a CRL!

So, a single shot in 25-20, a lever action .256 WinMag (those two with a convertible revolver in same-same), switch bbl bolt 6x55/ 30-'06, all original mil spec 6.5, Nylon 66 & Ruger takedown .22's, 9.3x62, couple of .303's, a couple of shotguns, a M700 waiting for a decision on what to do with it (reblue, rebore, rebarrel?) and maybe some other stuff I think...

Do I get a certificate and straightjacket yet? grin

If not, I've got plans for new acquisitions next year.

Geno

PS, notice, no .270's.... yet.... and if one did end up in the safe, then I might change it to a .25-270 or a .30-270 or something cool. wink

PPS, forgot the switch bbl sidelock BP gun in .50 and .36

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/29/15.

In it is contentment

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Lets see,4-.270's(3-Win & 1-Wby),2-.30-06's,2-.300 mag (H&H/Wby) 3-.375's (2 are H&H and 1 is a RUM) 2-35's (.358 NM & 9x57) 3-7mm (2-7x57 and 1-7mm Dakota).

Only one .25 cal and it's a .25/06.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steveco
MD,

That was for two 22mm spiral-bindings, $ 4.49 each plus tax. And that included slicing off the glued binding.

The RLN margins are close on some pages but no problem. I also had them insert the index for RLN in the back. Might have your other books done that way.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I was going to look into the same thing but hadn't made it that far.

Looks like I will need to have my well read copies bound and get some nice copies for the book shelf.

Scott

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Does having an array of Savage 99s in 220 Swift, 25 Souper, 25-284, 260, 6.5-284, 338-284, and 40-55 get me a CRL or ORL badge?

Surely having 15 Winchester/USRA 70s in 25 WSSM is at least irregular loony territory.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Not enough volume for the common cartridges.

Close on the 4 rifles - vanilla 22 Hornet, 300 H&H, 35 Remington (bolt and lever) and 404 Jeffery.

Still a neophyte...gotta work on my Loony.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.