-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Short story, I raise my nephews and the 16 year old says he'd like to get into deer hunting. So I'm thinking of buying him a shotgun, since the part of the state we live in we can't use a high-powered rifle. But we can use a pistol/straight walked cartridge 35 cal minimum and no longer than 1.8" I believe and shotgun and muzzloader.

So my thinking is getting one of the shotguns that come in a combo set(2) barrels. Figured he'd get more use out of it, but I'm not sure of the quality of them nowadays, or just get a slug gun.

should I just try and find a rifle that shoots a that's legal for the area.
I'm really having a hard time figuring this out, I have time since he won't go hunting till next season. But id like to figure out what I'm gonna do and start looking for it. Then have him start shooting to perfect good shooting technique and have him know his weapon and how it v shoes in all conditions.

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally think the first issue you need to address is how far is the farthest shot that could be made in the area you will be hunting? Then, how far do you anticipate allowing the lad to shoot?

If your shots will be close (50 yards and less), a regular rifle sighted shotgun with foster slugs will do just fine. Remington and Mossberg made decent combo guns that will fit the bill.

If your shots will be closer to 100 and longer, requiring a scope, etc, then I think you would be better off something made to scope, not just a clamp on scope mount, but a cantilever mounted barrel, bolt action, or heavy barreled single shot, etc. I personally think the H&R/New England single shot super slug guns were the best deal going for a long time, but they are over priced now compared to other speciality slug guns.

If you want the top of the top, look at the Browning A-bolt shotgun. They are 12ga, fully rifled, built and made like rifle to be scoped. For a dedicated slug gun, this is the best way to go if it is in your budget ($800ish). This gun is very capable of 200 yard shots. Again though, it might be overkill for the area you hunt if the longest shot will only be 50 yards.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I'd be more inclined to look for a 77/44 for deer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I think I'd be more inclined to look for a 77/44 for deer.

Good choice.

A lever gun in 44Mag would work too (that's what I use) but the auto loader should have less recoil.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
...A lever gun in 44Mag would work...

This. Better than a shotgun for deer.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rifles like others have mentioned are just better for killin deer than any slug gun. That said can you afford to get him a rifle and a scattergun? If not I would recommend an 870 with both barrels. Just always felt it was a waist to have a rifle that you can use for 2 weeks a year and the other 50 weeks the kid cant hunt.

Might be a better move to get him a scatter gun he can kill small game with, get to know the gun, and find a slug it will shoot well. dont put him on a cut corn field but in the brush where shots will be close and the kid has an honest chance of putting some meat on the ground.

Thats how I came up and I killed a ton of chit with my single shot, including deer. I too wanted a rifle but my gramps recommended the shotgun road and it was by far the right choice for me.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds like a rem 870 Express 20ga combo shotgun is in your future.

Doc

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What is the budget?

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Does your state also have a special muzzleloader season? If so, maybe just get a muzzleloader and use for both season? My TC Encore is plenty accurate and plenty of lunch out to 150 yards. Savage 220 is also a great slug gun. Handles just like like a savage rifle. 275 grain slug at 1900 fps is no slouch.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If one gun is the budget then I 2nd the 870 or Mossberg 500 combo gun. If the budget can take it then I would vote ML for deer in all seasons and a shotgun for sm game and birds. I feel pretty confident on my old TC renegade to 100 yds maybe a few more. For years my longest deer shot was about 120 yds with a Hawken style ML. shooting a patched rb.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.