Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Say you have found a lnib marlin store brand, glenfeild or other ... Beside a new production 2015 marlin for the same money.
Which would you prefer and why?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ring,

The Glenfield of course. Depending on the year manufactured
the Glenfield your considering will have the short magazine tube and smooth birth stocks or the full magazine tube and pressed checking in what I call the Glenfield pattern. The pressed pattern likely has a scroll like design.

The only difference between the Glenfield and the 336 model of the same era is the wood. The short magazine Glenfield models are hard to find these days and desirable.

The short magazine models really shoot...buy the rifle now.

The name Glenfield comes from a separate company Marlin set up in New York called the Glenfield Co which handled
the sales of marlin rifles to the discount big box stores during the time frame these guns were built.

Doc

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would be much more likely to buy a new Marlin 336 if it was the same price as any used Glenfield or other house-brand Marlin. I saw a Westernfield, Montgomery Wards' house-brand, Marlin 336 the other day for $250 that looked great on the right side, but was, sadly, rusted/pitted on the left side.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither. There are better choices.

I would instead look for a vintage Marlin in near new condition.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The fellers over on Marlinowners.com seem to like the Glenfields a lot, and aren't real fond of the dual band rifles, they like the capped forearms of the house brands.
Some claim the capped guns shoot better.

Of course, they are adamantly opposed to the Remlin guns, favoring the JM marked guns, either Marlin or house brands.

Based on the new guns I've looked at, I don't blame them a bit, and looked pretty hard for an older gun when I bought a 1960 336SC this spring. It's an odd configuration, but I like it a lot. Some of the house brand Glenfields mimic it, with the 20" barrel and half-magazine. Nice little rifles.

The newer ones I've looked at, have had canted front sights, and poorly fitted wood furniture. They are getting a lot better, but those early Remlins truly sucketh mightily, and Remington's customer service wins no awards, either.

I'd look for an older Marlin without the safety button, and they aren't hard to find. Marlin has made millions of the things, after all. They are pretty common in all the pawn shops around here.

Locally, the new ones run about $400, while older ones run a bit less, not much, but some. I bought mine for $350, and thought I stole it, honestly.
A few years ago, I passed up a 336A in .35 Remington for $299, it wasn't D&Ted for a scope, and I need eye help. I should have bought it anyway.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/31/15.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Glenfields used a lower grade wood; perhaps some other cheap stuff.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pal
The Glenfields used a lower grade wood; perhaps some other cheap stuff.

Just the wood was substituted with birch stocks, the remaining metal work parts etc came down the production line as any other model 336.

Doc

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What Doc said. A Glenfield is a Marlin in work clothes. No comparison between the JM Ct.-made Marlins/Glenfields and the Remington guns.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I own a '68 vintage Glenfield. Other than the birch stocks, the only differences between it and a regular Marlin is the writing on the barrel and the sights. The Glenfield has the spring steel rear sight and the front sight is not on a ramp, but in a milled dovetail. Same finish on the metal as regular Marlins.

Don't buy a Glenfield. Leave them for those of us who appreciate them for what they are. Great working rifles.

BTW, I have a set of presentation grade walnut for mine, just in case I decide to dress it up.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
From what I've seen of the new ones I'm not a big fan. Impressed checkering, rough action, seems like a low quality product right now. But maybe they will get better. I hope so.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Remington started the 336 line as "express " finished rifles. Workmanship was likely rushed by bean counting executives. ( I don't always blame labor for poor quality.)

They finally went to an available nicer finish. It seems as though the carrier that transfers the cartridge from magazine to chamber, is not being hardened and needs replacing at about 400-500 rounds, from several reports. For some, that is a lifetime of shooting. For others, four to six months wears out the carrier. I don't think Remington had any idea that lots of folks used lever guns for recreational shooting.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 01/09/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
R
I stopped
looking at Marlin rifles when Remington bought them out

I stopped looking at Marlin rifles when Remington bought them out

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I will never buy a new remlin. I would definitely go for a glenfield over a remlin. Although glenfield in very good condition tends to go for around $400 or so, I believe they are charging around $500-600 for the new remlins, thourgh they are'nt worth a quarter of that in my book.

I would not buy a glenfield for that much unless it was in 35 rem (they hardly made any in 35 rem).

I recently picked up a Glenfield model 30 in 35 rem. Same configuration as a 336SC just has a glenfield roll stamp and birch wood. As of now this gelnfield is one of my most accurate Marlins. I was super impressed with how well it shot the hornady lever evolution.

in my opinion the 336A, 336SC's are the nicest of the 336 line, and you can find them on online for reasonable prices, minus the deluxe and LTD models of course.

+1 for glenfield!

Last edited by GrahamVT; 01/23/16.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I own probably 12-14 Marlin rifles...non have a crossbolt safety. It is hard for me to understand why anyone would purchase one of these thrown together POS modern rifles when quality rifles from the 40s, 50s and 60s can be had for the same or less money. Craftsmanship in America today is far from what it was years ago.

T4

7th and 10th Special Forces Groups (Retired)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Glenfields had at least one flaw. The retaining pin for the magazine tube was weak/undersized. I replaced mine with a Marlin pin etc.

I have several Marlins and I've sold my 444 because I was disappointed in the ability to shoot the cast bullets I wanted to shoot.

I would not have an issue with a new Marlin.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/23/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by GrahamVT
I will never buy a new remlin. I would definitely go for a glenfield over a remlin. Although glenfield in very good condition tends to go for around $400 or so, I believe they are charging around $500-600 for the new remlins, thourgh they are'nt worth a quarter of that in my book.

I would not buy a glenfield for that much unless it was in 35 rem (they hardly made any in 35 rem).

I recently picked up a Glenfield model 30 in 35 rem. Same configuration as a 336SC just has a glenfield roll stamp and birch wood. As of now this gelnfield is one of my most accurate Marlins. I was super impressed with how well it shot the hornady lever evolution.

in my opinion the 336A, 336SC's are the nicest of the 336 line, and you can find them on online for reasonable prices, minus the deluxe and LTD models of course.

+1 for glenfield!

you were very fortunate to find a Glenfield model 30 in .35. Mot many of that caliber produced and when found are demanding high prices.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a sucker for a Glenfield, have owned two that were very accurate and a joy to carry.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
Say you have found a lnib marlin store brand, glenfeild or other ... Beside a new production 2015 marlin for the same money.
Which would you prefer and why?

If you blindfolded yourself and handled both rifles, you would find the Glenfield to feel trimmer, lighter and handle better all around.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd buy the Glenfield.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Glenfield for me

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.