Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its been since 2011 that I"ve seen anything that turns my crank.

We are fortunate to have what we have property wise and in the 80s you never saw a deer at all.

I worked my tail off, food plots, management, feed programs and so on...

2005 I took my first deer ever.

2011 took my first really good deer here.

Just took the best I"ve ever had here that I"m aware of. Not bad for us, for 25 years or so of work.

Not nearly what DVD gets to hunt, but you won't put a damper on my happiness last night. Plus a super trail job by the young dog, who is 18 of 19 that he trailed and I"m not sure the one he missed, that the deer didnt' die until days later adn was just found a week later in an area we didn't even hit a trial on.. good job TIGER!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful buck, congrats!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Real nice buck, congrats. A scratch behind the ear for Tiger.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great buck. Neat coloring to the antlers, bit darker than usual.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really nice. Congratulations. I have never seen even a picture of a deer with split brow tines like that.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats thats a beauty!!!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, he pales to how hard you peg em, but I"m happy!

Get back out there. YOu have deer to kill!

I won't shoot another buck here, other than trash though so I'm done.

Have 2 months of gun season where we lease so can have some fun there with Tiger trailing deer again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Jeff!

Glad you got the dog involved!

Its really pretty easy for them, eh? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lets see now, how do you know this... about the dog. LOL.

He went on a trail last week he lost for a bit. But the guys needed help, we ran so fast, that I can't look, but the guys followed where we ran with lights, picked up the blood trail again.
We picked up a hot hard trail about half a mile away while walking a creek, Tiger climbed and drug me up a 12 foot or so mostly vertical bank and then led me on 4/10 mile dead run that about did me in... and into a thicket that we couldn't easily work at night... so I said back out, come back in the morning... I'm convinced the deer was in there or went through there.

Supposedly they searched it after 11 inches of rain that night, the next morning. Nothing. A week later they found the deer dead, somewhat close to taht area, back about 400 yards off to one side of the thick stuff.

Hair was still fine on the hide mostly, IE not slipping much, our days have been in the 80s.... and enough rain off and on that he certainly did not die right away unfortunately.

Worst part is if they had simply left and let the deer alone overnight he'd have been just over a fence dead.. 70 yards or so from the shot..

I"m getting mostly to the point that if Tiger doesn't find the dead deer, the deer isn't dead. Almost to the point of 100% no way he will miss a dead one.

Bothers me though, when he deviates to try to kill an armadillo midstream.

And still to young IMHO to let him run off leash.... don't trust what he would do to other live animals, IE chase a live deer, rabbit etc... or even get himself in trouble with yotes or such... Garmin GPS is still in the future, but he works awful easy on a 25 foot lead so far that why change what works..

OBVIOUSLY if anyone has input on this part of the OT thread...I'm ears. LOL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful buck, Rost!

Howza bout some equipment details?

Perhaps you have mentioned them in a different thread and I missed it?

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeff is he going on the wall?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, yep, if I ever get the time to mount him. I have 2 others plus a nice moose waiting and an axis buck. Never seem to find the time. Between work and fire/ems time flies out the window.

Plans right now I think, are to bleach the skull, and that way I"m good to go.

I"ll likely cape him Sunday, and flesh it all out to get it off to a tannery maybe Monday night.

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
equipment questions..

I shoot some old PSE bow from the 90s, fireflite I think. I really love my brackenbury recurve the best. But it takes time to keep proficient, and as we all know, a compound with a peep and release, you just have to make sure its still zero'd from time to time.

That being said, many will take me to task on this buck.

I have an injury from a fire, in a house that was total loss and we were inside trying to find 2 kids that were not accounted for... yeah I know, sob story and all, but I wrecked my shoulder in a room where a wall collapsed, trying to just make sure we were not missing them...
SO, most of the time now, my shoulder makes me shoot a crossbow.

This was such. Some kind of Barnett. In defense, not that I really care that much, this is just how I hunt, I don't do a damn thing different with the crossbow. Set up for close shots. Refuse to shoot past 15 steps. Take only broadside/quarter away shots. Will not shoot if the head is up or staring my direction. I shoot only low in the body as we know they move. For this, I cannot recall ever missing the heart, even with my compound, in say the last 40-50 deer or so..... it took a LONG time to come to the rules I have for engagement. It makes me happy. I broke my rule about 2009 or so... trying hard to make a hail mary on a big trash buck that I did NOT want breeding, something I would not have done on a true trophy so to speak, shot past my imposed distance with my compound... and broke his back leg 6 inches above the hock when he whirled... Got lucky though and killed him with a rifle a month later to the day...

Have only taken about 5 deer with the crossbow. In my mind the ONLY difference is not having to draw and hold the bow. You can see how holding can be important... due to my injury most years my shoulder won't allow it.

But I've been trying hard.... to rehab it to hold...

more gack... shoot carbons out of everything now... but they are all old carbons... I dont' even know what kind anymore. Even out of the recurve, with feathers, they are just a tad bit faster and help. Even Carolyn shot carbons in the day.

I am a man of fixed blade, COC heads, Zwickey, snuffer are my preferences, MA2 at times if we are into lots of pigs. I did buy quite a few muzzy once on sale, Carolyn shot a few, they were ok, then read here, about slick tricks... still generally shoot snuffers out of the compound and recurve. And razor tricks out of the crossbow.

I actually think I enjoy tiger finding deer as much or more than the hunt nowdays in some ways.

Shot last night, 15 steps, maybe 14, it was raining, and i wanted to see my arrow before it washed off... I was 99% sure it was typical heart shot. Hard heart buck and off he went. Wife texted me right away that he was covered in blood as she was watching me shoot from the carport with her binocs.
I saw him go into the thicket he came from, and I saw a pretty hard wobble and then we was gone. Never any more movement, so I was pretty sure I could see part of him wiht binocs, tip of a tine in the cedars... I slithered down really quick, hunched low and grabbed the arrow on a trot... and trotted home around the back just to leave the area really quick, wind in my favor etc... Gave it some time for Carolyn to get rain gear on, grabbed the harness for the dog and he went nuts.

My normal thing is wait 3 hours if I don't see em fall and be still.... I knew what I had seen, we were in rain, and getting dark quick... dog had the deer in his nose already about 150 yards downwind, and wanted to go bad, but we moved him over to set him on the actual trail, just to be sure, and he took a sniff and said, yeah, I know that azzholes, lets roll... and he missed the hard right that the buck took going inot the brush, about 15 seconds or so came back, took about 30 to work it out in his nose... boom off we went... and he backed way down the instant he saw the buck, for about 15 seconds, and said, yep, lets roll I know what I"m seeing for sure now...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool buck. I like the dark rack. Congrats!

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just learned where he had been for 3 weeks. Aobut 1.5 miles away on a bigger ranch. Off and on.

They just had a photo of him, as they don't do any management/food plots or such all year long like I"ve done for years now. He could have been shot over there, and they were preparing to on opener of rifle season.

They had sent a picture to a friend and so on... they were excited for sure. Carolyn's co worker looked at that picture, then 5 minutes later Carolyn sent my picture to her co worker. He stared a while, and sent a note to the others... sorry, that buck on your camera caught an arrow and is in an igloo right now.

I feel bad for them, but its happened to me before too. And I"ve had him on camera all summer long on a food plot/protein feeder... so I'm not feeling that bad for them. LOL.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice buck. Feels good to reap the rewards of a long range plan. Looks like it paid well.

Joseph
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats on a fine buck Jeff.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great story, great deer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice work Jeff......that's a beautiful buck!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
600 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.