Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No, but I usually am the one with self control! Sad thing is I have bought 20 deep tiny n crankbaits the last 2 time I have been there. I shouldn't have bought the reel but I have a 7' st Croix light action panfish series on its way and it will need to be armed. Crappie will be chewing in not long!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
20 Tiny N's? Twenty? SealBilly you got it bad LOL!!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a deep tiny n fetish. I throw them in early spring and in the fall in lakes, big creeks, rivers, ponds, you name it if it swims it will catchem. I crank blow downs with them for crappie, they catch bigger ones than grubs or jigs and minnows. Yeah I got it bad.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who makes the Tiny Ns, how deep do they run, weight?

Last edited by 43Shooter; 11/05/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are made by Bill Normans Lures the deep tiny n runs about 5' deep and they weight 1/8th oz. I fish them on 4-8 pound test mono with 6 being what I usually fish them on. I fish them on spinning tackle (shimano crucial medium light) most of the time but if you have a casting reel that is really lose and has centrifugal brakes it's doable. Buy a few and throw them when the water temp is in the 45-65 degree range, you will catch everything that swims.

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
billy: Sounds enticing! wink

I throw the Deep Little N and DD22 a fair bit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
DD22s are from the throne room of God. I crank them at night in the summer. LOVE'EM. Big fish bait for sure. I love crankin. I have a thousand styles of crankbaits. Flat As, fat As, DT series rapalas, bandits footloose, square bill, 200 and 300s, strike king 4Ss are killer (i don't like the kvd square bills) #5 and #8 shad raps, manns minus 1 and 20 plus, hot lips, old poes, bagley DB3s, I'm a crankbait whore.

If I had to choose 4 crankbaits it would be a DD22, deep tiny n, DT6, 4S. All though wiggle warts in early spring are quite awesome as are bandit 200s.

What are your most productive cranks and when do you use them?

Last edited by seal_billy; 11/05/15.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
billy: My most productive crank baits are the Storm Wiggle Wart,right after the ice goes out in March and April,depending how far north.

I use it then because of the yellow perch spawn,which are the first fish to spawn. LM bass will follow them shallow when the ice goes. I weight them with suspend strips to make them suspend.They seem to work late into pre spawn.

In post spawn I like the Skeet Reese models, the small square bills,for shallow work; and the DD22 for post spawn females suspended near off shore humps. I have recently started throwing the DT16 in 12-14 feet near new grass in the post spawn as well,but have not had a good bite with it....yet.

This year when blue gills start spawning I will try throwing the Bagley's balsa square bill that runs 2 feet+- and looks like the old Big O.

From post spawn through summer it's something like a Deep Little N or DD 22. As the water gets cold I like something flat sided and more subtle. The Shad Rap is a good producer.And of course a rattle trap bait.

Keep in mind I am not as much a crank bait fisherman as I am for jigs,which probably account for the majority of fish I catch each year.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A bass is a bass I guess north or south cause I throw many of the same baits at the same time. Warts early pre spawn cause they thump also flat side cranks, then I go to a square bill 4S, bandits or a minus1 during the spawn I fish them anywhere you would fish a spinnerbait bait. 22s post spawn and I too fish hump a lot that's when I also football jig a lot. Full blown summer the crankbaits get put up unless I'm fishing at night then the 22s come back out. Fall anything goes from a mouse to a DD22, on our lakes in the fall fish are where you find them.

You flip a lot or are you a deep structure football jig dude? I do a little of both but I'm not great at either. I used to fish jigs more than I do now. Which is crazy cause a jig will getem 365, deep or shallow.

I started using jigging spoons a few years ago and am trying to get stronger at that. I also wished I was better deep structure fisherman.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Billy you're right. A bass is a bass,north or south. There's regional differences,but I have yet to be anywhere (including Florida and Texas) that I could not get bit on a B&B jig and a spinnerbait. smile

My tournament partners mostly fish shallow,meaning throwing at a lot of visible cover. I go along with that and we skip under docks,pontoons, wood,anything. Many fish come from less than a foot of water.

But fishing on my own, I fish deep structure more;rock piles, humps,points etc. I will only fish 4-5 spots a day, rotating because bigger fish come and go on that structure. If you run around too much you miss that bite.

In August here, bait bunches up. Big fish follow. I spent a week following huge schools of white perch in 20-22 feet of "nothing",just above the thermocline,drop shotting and fishing swim baits vertically on 3/4 oz footballs.I caught a lot of big large and smallmouth bass shadowing that bait.

I use the electronics for that stuff.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That sounds fun vertical fishing big schools of bait. I fish humps and points, road beds, creek channels, and rock piles also but from triangulation and memory, I don't have electronics on my boat, she's a work in progress. I bought a tunnel Jon to get way up in the river, I put it on a trailer I traded from a friend and a motor I bought off another friend. I put a I-pilot terrova on it and now I need a good depth finder with all the bells and whistles and rig it with black lights for night fishing.

This is a good thread.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Billy: Something happens here from mid-August on. Bait aggregates on deeper flats,and big fish you haven't seen since pre spawn suddenly show up with them. One largemouth puked up a 10" white perch at boat side. They are chowing down as days become shorter.

I have found a lot of structure your way and still do it. But electronics confirms what's down there. They make the lake "bigger" as you discover structure you didn't know existed.Also, fish relate to the structure and weed lines certain ways; like deer they have run ways for moving up and down on contours.

"Spots' on spots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not bad action under 50 deg water! I would think that they would be slowing down by this time! Never can tell how things will work out. Gotta be on the water to know for sure.

I'm glad for the report back on this. Water here is still 57deg on the columbia so I might have another month before it's down to 45 deg.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Water was 64 today and I don't remember the lake being so dead. I fished 4 hours today and only had 1 strike and missed it. I talked to several at the ramp when we were leaving, same thing for everyone. Lots of bait up on the surface, in the backs of pockets and no fish. I have never seen it like this at this time of year. They should be chasing schools of shad.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Billy: Here water temps in the 60's are the worst for bites. We are usually past it by late October but maybe you get it in November (?).

That temp signals what we call "turnover". Warmer surface water starts to cool and settles down. Wind causes turbulence and in combination lifts debris off the bottom as the thermocline begins to disappear.The water is filled with debris suspended. Fish shut down. It will pass in a few days to two weeks or so depending.

In summer lakes form thermoclines and most oxygen is above the thermocline.Water below the thermocline is oxygen poor,so most bass/bait activity occurs above the thermocline Ours runs to about 20-22 feet. Yours may be deeper.

You can actually see the thermocline with suspended debris on your electronics

As the thermocline breaks down and turnover ends,oxygen is more evenly distributed in the lake,and the bite can move deeper as fish migrate to winter areas.

best strategy during turnover is to fish shallow. But it's still tough. As water moves into the low 50's/high 40's, turnover should have ended and you should start to see a hot shallow bite for awhile. But there could be regional differences for you guys down there. I don't know exactly how your lake reacts.

Just got a call from my friend. Yesterday 45 fish,Rattle Trap and beaver/football bite is still strong. Water temps in the 40's. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes it's just now getting into the high to mid 60s, remember I'm way south of you. I night fished the first week of October shirtless! It was still that warm. My buddy Knobby was still wake boarding.

It's not turned over yet I don't think as the whole lake is clear as a bell, probably 8' visibility. The water coming out of the dam is about 55 so I'd say it will turn over closer to that temp, I may be wrong though. I used to know all this stuff but I quit bass fishing for 5 years and I'm forgetful. I usually fish shallow in the backs of creeks where fresh water comes in during turnover.

Idk what is going on but it was tough. When it turns over here it's usually redish brown and dirty as the devil. I haven't been spanked like that in years! It reminds me of a Bassmaster tournament here back in the early 90s. The first day it was so bad pros were leaving, on the second day big weights where coming in, all caught on a buzzbait'n in the snow. Crazy stuff this bass fishing, they are where you catchem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bob, Do you have any openings next fall?

I'd like to book a week with you! 😀

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.