Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 175 1 2 3 174 175
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Sort of a piece meal story but sounds like things got out of hand.

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...olved-shooting-in-adams-county/75036826/

[quoteAdams County rancher shot and killed by deputies

The incident started after a car crashed into a bull on Highway 95.

KTVB, KTVB.COM 6:17 p.m. MST November 2, 2015
635820807026369769-rancher5
(Photo: Paul Boehlke/KTVB)
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
COUNCIL, Idaho -- Idaho State Police are investigating after a Council rancher was shot and killed Sunday by deputies with the Adams County Sheriff's Office.

The incident began when a Subaru station wagon crashed into a bull on US 95 north of Council at about 6:45 p.m. Emergency responders and Adams County deputies responded and were working to extricate the two people inside the car. Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman said the bull, which was injured in the collision, started charging at emergency responders and other vehicles.
"The bull was very agitated and was aggressive to emergency services, as well as the other cars coming up and down the highway," he said.

Deputies were getting ready to put the animal down when the bull's owner, 62-year-old Jack Yantis, arrived on the scene with a rifle. Zollman said dispatchers had called Yantis after the crash, telling him that the bull that was hit appeared to be his, and was down on the highway near his house.

What happened next is still under investigation, but Zollman said there was an altercation and Yantis and both deputies all fired their weapons.

Yantis was fatally wounded and died at the scene. One of the deputies suffered a minor injury.

An emotional Zollman said Monday that his thoughts went out to everyone involved, and that his office took the shooting very seriously. ISP has taken over the investigation to prevent a conflict of interest.

"This is going to be a big hit to this community," Zollman said. "The gentleman involved, Mr. Yantis, was a well-known cattle rancher around here. It's just a sad deal for everybody involved, for the whole community."

Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies
Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies Sunday night. Paul Boehlke/KTVB
Fullscreen
Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies Rancher Jack Yantis was shot and killed by deputies
Next Slide
The deputies who shot Yantis have been placed on paid leave. Their names have not yet been released.

"To the best of my knowledge, this is the first officer-involved shooting that Adams County has ever had," Zollman said.

Yantis' wife, Donna Yantis, suffered a heart attack after learning that her husband had been shot, family members said. She was taken to a Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where she was listed in critical condition Monday.

Both people inside the Subaru were taken to a Boise hospital by air ambulance. Their conditions are unknown. The bull was killed, although authorities are still investigating whether a bullet from Yantis' gun or one of the deputies' weapons killed the animal.

The area where the bull was hit is open range, Zollman said, and darkness had fallen by the time the Subaru crashed into the black bull in the roadway.

"It's not uncommon for us to have these kind of livestock versus vehicle accidents," he said. "Typically they don't turn out this way."[/quote]

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"It's not uncommon for us to have these kind of livestock versus vehicle accidents," he said. "Typically they don't turn out this way."

...one would certainly HOPE not.

Prayers for all involved, impacted, and affected by this very troubling event.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It'll be interesting to see how the story fleshes out. Nice thread title though, sure to get traffic.

MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Dang, Greg - I rode with the ilk of those in your pictures, although, when I was young - and they were old (though still VERY tough)!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Amen
Krrapy way to go...prayers to the Mrs and family

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cops might be a little touchy these days with anyone wielding a gun. I would think common sense would have prevailed there, but we'll see.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sooooo.....a cop is shot....or injured....or something.
The rancher is shot and killed.
The ranchers wife has a heart attack and lands in critical condition.
The occupants of the car were injured and had to be extracted from their vehicle.
The bull was hit a car....suffered....and eventually put down.

Any puppies get run over by the ambulance as it was leaving.

What a cluster....from where I stand.... the only winner in this deal is the couple that no longer have to drive a Subaru.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw don't threaten cops with a gun or shoot at cops. Or give them the idea you are threatening them. Very sad deal all the way around.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just saw this on my local news web. Our story is even more vague- it doesn't even state who was killed!

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/one-shot-killed-during-shootout-involving-injured-bull-hit-by-car

This is pretty sad. Was he killed in crossfire, shot intentionally or ricochet?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
sad day for all.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rough to say the least. I got a feeling there is a lot more to this story.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sure seems like cops are killing a lot more people than say 10-20 years ago. What up with that?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Rough to say the least. I got a feeling there is a lot more to this story.

When it comes to reporters and the truth, there is always a lot to be desired or determined.

Condolences and lawyer funds to the family.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure seems like cops are killing a lot more people than say 10-20 years ago. What up with that?

We have a lot more people acting less cordial than most folks acted 10-20 years ago.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It probably went like this: "What, you aren't shooting my prize bull". "Sir, your bull is attacking people and is dangerous, we are going to have to put him down". As he raises his rifle to the deputies, "Over my dead body" and they obliged him.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are not too many situations that improve when you involve police...

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There are not too many situations that improve when you involve police...

You have that right, although I am pleased to report that the local cops here cuffed and transported two illegals the other day.

Good for them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad really sad ,,hope the truth comes out.

prayers for all

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I very highly doubt the rancher was killed "over a wounded bull".

More likely than not, a person pointed a rifle at the Deputies.

What led up to the altercation is what is the question.

Understandably a livestock owner does not want to lose a large investment.

Also understandably, a Deputy does not want to have another collision, or someone get gored, or trampled by an injured/mad bull, and views public safety issues as more important than property loss.

Neither view point is wrong, but sometimes (especially when in the heat of the moment) people cannot come to an agreement, and bad things occur.

Remember,this happened in rural Idaho.

99% of the rural deputies I know don't even raise an eyebrow when a rancher shows up with a hunting rifle to put a vehicle struck animal down.

Heck, I have witnessed a couple times where a cattleman has asked an LEO to borrow their rifle to put the animal down.

While it was a HUGE policy violation, the cattleman was handed a rifle, the animal was dispatched, and the gun went back in the rack.

Condolences for all involved.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just possibly the rancher got a firearm and went to put the bull down to prevent any other chaos!!

CF from the sound of it!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 175 1 2 3 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.