Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Guys,

Thanks to Mike Deland, aka mdeland, I just updated my article titled, Lengthening Short Brass to Fit Your BPCR Chamber. Mike graciously provided three photos that displays his brass “nibbing” process using a lathe. If you’re interested in several methods to stretch or lengthening brass, check out the article at:
http://www.texas-mac.com/Lengthening_Short_Brass_To_Fit_Your_BPCR_Chamber.html

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mornin' Wayne,

...In the "nib and spin" section of that article, were the two longer cases on the right side of the bottom picture formed from the case length (.45-70) on the left ?

Thanks for another interesting read !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Mornin' Wayne,
...In the "nib and spin" section of that article, were the two longer cases on the right side of the bottom picture formed from the case length (.45-70) on the left ?
Thanks for another interesting read !
GTC

GTC,

Yes, your understanding is correct. I just changed some of the text & captions under the photos to make it clearer.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now THAT inspires a deep and heartfelt, "Why the hell didn't I think of that?" moment or two. Criminy, folks have been spinning out brass artifacts on foot powered spinning lathes for centuries, maybe millenia.
No doubts here that annealed Rem brass will yield an easier process,...
Man, the additional length garnered is pretty astounding. Getting 2.4 from 2.1 is old hat, but seeing 2.4 out past 2.6 is an eye opener.
Wondering if adding a scale / force gauge to the play might not be something to try.
The NEAT thing about this "Away from the headstock" process is that (in the absence of a lathe equipped with built in carriage stops) one can rig a simple bed mounted switch,get a piece turning at a SLOW feed rate and go do something else.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Man, the additional length garnered is pretty astounding. Getting 2.4 from 2.1 is old hat, but seeing 2.4 out past 2.6 is an eye opener.
GTC

Greg,
So as not to mislead you or anyone else reading the article, I questioned Mike Deland on the last photo of the lengthened brass and subsequently added the following text to the article.

"Starting with a Remington .45-70 case on the left, the two long cases in the photo required at least three nibbing passes, possibly more for the long one on the right. The middle case finished up at a very even neck wall thickness of 0.009”.
Note – New Remington .45-70 cases have typical neck wall thicknesses of 0.010” to 0.011”.

Wayne

See www.texas-mac.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've ball miked, dial indicated, and cut-away cross sectioned different cases with the best of em' Wayne,...
Prayed, fasted, made esoteric invocations using chicken blood, ashes, and a practical amount of adult beverages. Wore the markings off a coupla' mics, I looked at em' so hard.

All kidding aside
Annealed Rem cases would be my practical choice, 'cuz of their rather THICK walls to start with.Not saying Win or Starline won't fly,....just a gut feeling.

Jeez, what if a guy started with some of this Norma .45 basic ( the 3.25" stuff ) and went to massaging it,...
One would wind up with the .45 caliber equivalent of that wonky .40-90 SS.

.45 3.75 DOES have a very intriguing (albeit somewhat screwball ) RING to it, No ?

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cool stuff and a well written description!

Even a rube like myself can understand it. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.