Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have that pack. IMO its not well-suited to packing meat, even a boned out WT. Not enough room, especially with any gear at all. Plus, the hip belt isn't built for comfort with a heavy load. You can always cinch down a pack with more room than you need, but you can't do the opposite.

OK, so the spike camp is scratched off the list.

That leaves the late season and timberline 2 if I decide to go internal frame.

GB1

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Decided the Nomad probably isn't for me as well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Holston
I have that pack. IMO its not well-suited to packing meat, even a boned out WT. Not enough room, especially with any gear at all. Plus, the hip belt isn't built for comfort with a heavy load. You can always cinch down a pack with more room than you need, but you can't do the opposite.

OK, so the spike camp is scratched off the list.

That leaves the late season and timberline 2 if I decide to go internal frame.

Good choices for your purposes. Personally, I'd go with capacity over compactness.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
IMHO, if you are going Kifaru, then buy a bigger pack.

One can always pack less in the morning, but in the field, one can never increase the capacity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best packs on the market IMO.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Late Season, use it for everything, and I mean everything for the past 10 years and shows NO signs of wear and tear other than it is a bit faded in color due to the fact that it sits in the back of the cab of the pickup truck all year long. Excellent pack! You will not go wrong with a Kifaru purchase.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got a long hunter. Must be just me, it must not fit me right, I've hauled loads with it, and with our just one packs... I'll take the just one every time.

But becuase folks keep telling me the Kifaru is the bomb, I can't bring myself to sell it, even though it hangs in the closet.

Likely will haul it to AK one fall and try it on moose again... just because.

Maybe I should just take the bag off and keep it as a hauler only.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rost, I agree with you or that the G1, G2 frame did not fit me well! I now have the new , I guess G3 and it is a whole new animal.

The internal frames are where I would suggest you try. I had the Just One and it is like a drunk hooker on your back with any more than 50-lbs.

If you can try one of the internals is my $.02. Not trying to hype them, I just spent way too much trying all the other makes.

Late Season is an awesome do all pack or a T2.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How far can you carry a drunk hooker on your back?

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunting1

I'll be ordering one of those 2 soon.

Leaning towards T2 at the moment.

Thanks for everyone's input.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
How far can you carry a drunk hooker on your back?

Back in my younger military days as long as it took. These days not far, but can still get them elk quarters down the hill.

Good Shooting!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stone Glacier------They have a very high level of fit and can carry heavy weight well.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Stone Glacier------They have a very high level of fit and can carry heavy weight well.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Hadn't really looked at them before.

I like the looks of the Solo....

Thanks for the suggestion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SG is a solid pack. I had a solo for a few seasons. It's easier for me to stay organized in the Kifaru and it fits me better.

(I'm an odd fit at 6'7" and skinny, though)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have the SG Terminus. It has been a great pack for me, but I might have to go to a bigger size. I do kind of miss my pockets, but I get by.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rost, I agree with you or that the G1, G2 frame did not fit me well! I now have the new , I guess G3 and it is a whole new animal.

The internal frames are where I would suggest you try. I had the Just One and it is like a drunk hooker on your back with any more than 50-lbs.

If you can try one of the internals is my $.02. Not trying to hype them, I just spent way too much trying all the other makes.

Drunk hookers must be good, cause I carried 120 pounds at the end of my training sessions with the pack. Started at 70 pounds and moved up. Was much more comfortable than the Kifaru.

Will have to open my eyes again I suspect and try new things....though I hate to drop probably 500 plus to find something that sucks again....

Been pretty lucky, moose I've been able to get an ATV to so far..... one day that will not happen. LOL. ITs been interesting a few times, but worked out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Never owned a Kifaru. If a guy bought a Spike Camp would he also have to buy the "Hunting Platform Frame and Suspension"? Explain the purpose or how I carry my meat?

N
N
I agree with jcubed about going bigger. I have had a G2 Spikecamp for about 6 years, it's perfect for most of what I do (elk and deer day hunts, not packing meat) but once in a while was stuffed full. Last month I upgraded to a Late Season and have found the extra room is terrific. Also the late season is the same light weight and in my opinion has a wider, better hip belt that carries weight better and is overall more comfortable. I really hesitated spending the money but now am really glad I did as I know this pack will be a great long term investment.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rost495

Drunk hookers must be good, cause I carried 120 pounds at the end of my training sessions with the pack. Started at 70 pounds and moved up. Was much more comfortable than the Kifaru.

Will have to open my eyes again I suspect and try new things....though I hate to drop probably 500 plus to find something that sucks again....

Been pretty lucky, moose I've been able to get an ATV to so far..... one day that will not happen. LOL. ITs been interesting a few times, but worked out.

Rost, no need to get defensive and for Smokepole and others the reference was a joke. The Just One works no doubt but Im not in my 20's anymore so need to use quality and rely on brute strength less.

Packs are like boots and opinions are like, well you know. Kifaru makes good stuff as Mystery Ranch, etc. It is a big investment but quality costs.

Good hunting and if what you have works, then great. The OP asked opinions and that is what was given.

Last edited by hunting1; 11/05/15.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rost, no need to get defensive and for Smokapole and others the reference was a joke. The Just One works no doubt but Im not in my 20's anymore so need to use quality and rely on brute strength less.

"Smokapole," eh? Careful there bud, I may be almost 60, but I still rely on brute strength.....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,785
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.