Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Was a typo, fixed, apologies and i'm down the road if you really want to internet threat me.....

Good Shooting!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Where are these people carrying drunk hookers that require a pack?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly. I always want 'em to wrap their legs around me.

Hunting, no worries bro, it was tongue in cheek.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hunting1
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by hunting1
Rost, I agree with you or that the G1, G2 frame did not fit me well! I now have the new , I guess G3 and it is a whole new animal.

The internal frames are where I would suggest you try. I had the Just One and it is like a drunk hooker on your back with any more than 50-lbs.

If you can try one of the internals is my $.02. Not trying to hype them, I just spent way too much trying all the other makes.

Late Season is an awesome do all pack or a T2.

Drunk hookers must be good, cause I carried 120 pounds at the end of my training sessions with the pack. Started at 70 pounds and moved up. Was much more comfortable than the Kifaru.

Will have to open my eyes again I suspect and try new things....though I hate to drop probably 500 plus to find something that sucks again....

Been pretty lucky, moose I've been able to get an ATV to so far..... one day that will not happen. LOL. ITs been interesting a few times, but worked out.

Rost, no need to get defensive and for Smokepole and others the reference was a joke. The Just One works no doubt but Im not in my 20's anymore so need to use quality and rely on brute strength less.

Packs are like boots and opinions are like, well you know. Kifaru makes good stuff as Mystery Ranch, etc. It is a big investment but quality costs.

Good hunting and if what you have works, then great. The OP asked opinions and that is what was given.

Sorry if it was defensive, was simply saying, I've tried 2 packs....one cheaper and one more expensive. the cheaper one carried the weight a LOT better than the expensive one to me.... just me... just one. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Sorry if it was defensive, was simply saying, I've tried 2 packs....one cheaper and one more expensive. the cheaper one carried the weight a LOT better than the expensive one to me.... just me... just one. LOL.

You probably don't have it adjusted right.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry
Never owned a Kifaru. If a guy bought a Spike Camp would he also have to buy the "Hunting Platform Frame and Suspension"? Explain the purpose or how I carry my meat?

Hey! Can someone help out with my question ?! grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never owned a Kifaru. If a guy bought a Spike Camp would he also have to buy the "Hunting Platform Frame and Suspension"? Explain the purpose or how I carry my meat?

Depends on if you want to place the meat inside the bag or not. For my tastes, I like a bigger pack than the spike camp for hauling meat, but I throw the elk inside the bag most of the time.

2400 cubic inches can fill up fast but YMMV.

Last edited by Jcubed; 11/06/15.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Mountain rambler with the load shelf between the frame and bag seems like a good way to go!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yes, Aron Snyder, call him at Kifaru and he'll answer any question you have. Very helpful and knows packs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Mountain rambler with the load shelf between the frame and bag seems like a good way to go!

Lots of ways to do it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

1. No.
2. Not touching that one.
3. Yes.

Circles
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Circles

1. No.
2. Not touching that one.
3. Yes.

LMAO grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd get the Kifaru Duplex frame. From there, you can get several bags for that same frame. I'm really digging the mountain warrior bag on the duplex frame right now. It's got plenty of room, and I'd do 7 days no problem. I just had it in the bathtub cleaning the blood out of it. I've packed out 8 bucks in the last 2 weeks with it. I'm slowly becoming a pocket slut, for keeping things organized. Not a fan of dumpster diving anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Holston

That leaves the late season and timberline 2 if I decide to go internal frame.

I have the T2 on the bikini, and I love it, but I don't consider it a pack I would wear all day while hunting, too big.

If you want a hauler, get a hauler, if you want a daypack, get one.

I may end up with the spike as a daypack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Holston

That leaves the late season and timberline 2 if I decide to go internal frame.

I have the T2 on the bikini, and I love it, but I don't consider it a pack I would wear all day while hunting, too big.

If you want a hauler, get a hauler, if you want a daypack, get one.

I may end up with the spike as a daypack.
Ii disagree. I use my Longhunter as a hauler and a daypack. Saves a trip back to camp/truck when it's time to pack one out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run an AMR on a Duplex set up to be almost 10k cubic inches as a daypack and it works just as well if not better than anything else designed as a "day pack"...

Tanner

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a spike camp, and it gets used as a carry on for traveling. I don't hunt with it. It's not big enough for my day gear + a quartered out animal, and even if it was, I wouldn't put myself through that torture.

This time of the year, I day hunt almost daily, as the days aren't long enough to make camping worth it. The same pack I use for 7 days, is my daypack. It does not hinder me one bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'd get the Kifaru Duplex frame. From there, you can get several bags for that same frame. I'm really digging the mountain warrior bag on the duplex frame right now. It's got plenty of room, and I'd do 7 days no problem. I just had it in the bathtub cleaning the blood out of it. I've packed out 8 bucks in the last 2 weeks with it. I'm slowly becoming a pocket slut, for keeping things organized. Not a fan of dumpster diving anymore.

Haha me too. A few years ago I was a fan of as light as possible. Not function is a bit more important than shaving off that last 2-5 pounds off the pack weight before I head out for a week long backpack based hunt.

I have the Mountain Warrior and like it a lot as well. Being able to organize a bit between the big pocket on the back, then the guide lid on top, and also quick access via the panel loader option to stuff on the inside really help organize things the way I want them.

Though for my true heavy hauling and such I do like how quick my EMR 2 is to toss the quarters of deer in a single game bag and strap it to the outside of the pack with 3 buckles and the lid and be off and not have to be stuffing the game bags in and out of my pack when day hunting for deer.

I don't see getting rid of either pack bag anytime soon. The AMR looks like a great option as I like its volume, but IMO it isn't as versatile as the EMR 2 for strapping awkward loads and still have to stuff game inside the pack bag, not that big a deal really though as I did it for years and it works for certain. The biggest thing I like about both the mountain warrior and the EMR 2 is the access to the main bags without diving through the top, that zippered access has me spoiled to not want to use anything that doesn't have that type of access.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
To the OP,

There is some real experience with backpack hunting and Kifaru gear in this thread.

I think lanche raises a good point, do you want load carrying capacity that is "comfortable" or would you like a lighter pack that supports weight, just not as well?

Things to consider as there are different pack companies that fit different niche markets, so to speak.

Regards

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I had decided that the mountain Rambler was the pack for me. Almost ordered and then got to thinking how well a cargo panel, dry bag, and a couple pouches might work.

I'm going to kick around a few ideas for each and order one or the other this weekend.

Thanks to all that replied here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.