Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#10651732 11/02/15
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone using a Nomad or Mountain Rambler from Kifaru.

I'm considering one of those on an ultralight frame.

Last edited by Holston; 11/02/15.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have an ultra light 26" and Mountain Rambler, love it! My other favorite is the Siwash since I like panel loaders.

Good Shooting!
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunting1
I have an ultra light 26" and Mountain Rambler, love it! My other favorite is the Siwash since I like panel loaders.

Would you feel comfortable putting a whitetail (quartered not deboned) in the meat shelf?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outdoorsmans, look them up

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Compared to a Kifaru, that would be a pretty serious downgrade.

Tanner

IC B2

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Never heard of them, but will give them a look, thanks.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

What he said! A white tail would be easy. they get used on elk and larger all the time. It is a big investment but the first time you pack out weight you won't regret it IMHO...

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Kifaru "Spike Camp" and love it....they make HIGH quality packs!!

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Tanner

What he said! A white tail would be easy. they get used on elk and larger all the time. It is a big investment but the first time you pack out weight you won't regret it IMHO...

Vey big investment for someone like me.

Nicotine free for a year, I'm treating myself to something nice. I used to spend way more than the cost of a new pack on snuff in a years time anyway.

Hoping if I buy quality,i wont have to buy another pack for several years.

Last edited by Holston; 11/03/15.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Kifaru are really over-built for most hunting uses but for hauling really heavy loads the duplex frame system is hard to beat and they will last a lifetime.

I could never shoot my bow that well with the duplex frame so I've sold a few Kifaru packs. I also wanted a little more organization in a pack right out of the box and at the time Kifaru only offered organization features by adding pouches and pockets which results in a heavier even more expensive pack.

At my age I'm not hauling the huge loads so the duplex wasn't really needed but I kept my Scout. I use a lighter pack for western elk hunting (Exo 3500) and it does a good job of carrying my largest loads and doesn't affect shooting my bow.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious what you mean by over-built.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd love to know what "uber built" means.

[Linked Image]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought the Kifaru Spikecamp a couple of years ago, best backpack purchase I ever made. It feels like I'm wearing a perfectly fitted back brace every time I put it on. Is it worth the money? EVERY PENNY.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If the frame is over kill, then get an internal frame. A Timberline 2 will fit like a glove. I have both and shoot my bow just fine.

David, I'll take that kind of overbuilt any day......

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the frame is over kill, then get an internal frame. A Timberline 2 will fit like a glove. I have both and shoot my bow just fine.

David, I'll take that kind of overbuilt any day......

He asked. I just thought I'd post the gold standard...

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, anyone know where I can get a slightly used "Cargo Chair" for a EMR/MMR/Longhunter?

John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Holston

Would you feel comfortable putting a whitetail (quartered not deboned) in the meat shelf?

Yes.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by David_Walter
BTW, anyone know where I can get a slightly used "Cargo Chair" for a EMR/MMR/Longhunter?

yes

pm incoming

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I have the Kifaru "Spike Camp" and love it....they make HIGH quality packs!!

That's the pack I had my mind set on at first look.

Might be the way to go and just start deboning instead of quartering.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have that pack. IMO its not well-suited to packing meat, even a boned out WT. Not enough room, especially with any gear at all. Plus, the hip belt isn't built for comfort with a heavy load. You can always cinch down a pack with more room than you need, but you can't do the opposite.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have that pack. IMO its not well-suited to packing meat, even a boned out WT. Not enough room, especially with any gear at all. Plus, the hip belt isn't built for comfort with a heavy load. You can always cinch down a pack with more room than you need, but you can't do the opposite.

OK, so the spike camp is scratched off the list.

That leaves the late season and timberline 2 if I decide to go internal frame.

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Decided the Nomad probably isn't for me as well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

OK, so the spike camp is scratched off the list.

Good choices for your purposes. Personally, I'd go with capacity over compactness.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
IMHO, if you are going Kifaru, then buy a bigger pack.

One can always pack less in the morning, but in the field, one can never increase the capacity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best packs on the market IMO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Late Season, use it for everything, and I mean everything for the past 10 years and shows NO signs of wear and tear other than it is a bit faded in color due to the fact that it sits in the back of the cab of the pickup truck all year long. Excellent pack! You will not go wrong with a Kifaru purchase.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got a long hunter. Must be just me, it must not fit me right, I've hauled loads with it, and with our just one packs... I'll take the just one every time.

But becuase folks keep telling me the Kifaru is the bomb, I can't bring myself to sell it, even though it hangs in the closet.

Likely will haul it to AK one fall and try it on moose again... just because.

Maybe I should just take the bag off and keep it as a hauler only.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rost, I agree with you or that the G1, G2 frame did not fit me well! I now have the new , I guess G3 and it is a whole new animal.

The internal frames are where I would suggest you try. I had the Just One and it is like a drunk hooker on your back with any more than 50-lbs.

If you can try one of the internals is my $.02. Not trying to hype them, I just spent way too much trying all the other makes.

Late Season is an awesome do all pack or a T2.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How far can you carry a drunk hooker on your back?

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'll be ordering one of those 2 soon.

Leaning towards T2 at the moment.

Thanks for everyone's input.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
How far can you carry a drunk hooker on your back?

Back in my younger military days as long as it took. These days not far, but can still get them elk quarters down the hill.

Good Shooting!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stone Glacier------They have a very high level of fit and can carry heavy weight well.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Stone Glacier------They have a very high level of fit and can carry heavy weight well.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Hadn't really looked at them before.

I like the looks of the Solo....

Thanks for the suggestion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SG is a solid pack. I had a solo for a few seasons. It's easier for me to stay organized in the Kifaru and it fits me better.

(I'm an odd fit at 6'7" and skinny, though)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have the SG Terminus. It has been a great pack for me, but I might have to go to a bigger size. I do kind of miss my pockets, but I get by.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rost, I agree with you or that the G1, G2 frame did not fit me well! I now have the new , I guess G3 and it is a whole new animal.

The internal frames are where I would suggest you try. I had the Just One and it is like a drunk hooker on your back with any more than 50-lbs.

If you can try one of the internals is my $.02. Not trying to hype them, I just spent way too much trying all the other makes.

Drunk hookers must be good, cause I carried 120 pounds at the end of my training sessions with the pack. Started at 70 pounds and moved up. Was much more comfortable than the Kifaru.

Will have to open my eyes again I suspect and try new things....though I hate to drop probably 500 plus to find something that sucks again....

Been pretty lucky, moose I've been able to get an ATV to so far..... one day that will not happen. LOL. ITs been interesting a few times, but worked out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never owned a Kifaru. If a guy bought a Spike Camp would he also have to buy the "Hunting Platform Frame and Suspension"? Explain the purpose or how I carry my meat?

N
N
I agree with jcubed about going bigger. I have had a G2 Spikecamp for about 6 years, it's perfect for most of what I do (elk and deer day hunts, not packing meat) but once in a while was stuffed full. Last month I upgraded to a Late Season and have found the extra room is terrific. Also the late season is the same light weight and in my opinion has a wider, better hip belt that carries weight better and is overall more comfortable. I really hesitated spending the money but now am really glad I did as I know this pack will be a great long term investment.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rost495

Drunk hookers must be good, cause I carried 120 pounds at the end of my training sessions with the pack. Started at 70 pounds and moved up. Was much more comfortable than the Kifaru.

Will have to open my eyes again I suspect and try new things....though I hate to drop probably 500 plus to find something that sucks again....

Been pretty lucky, moose I've been able to get an ATV to so far..... one day that will not happen. LOL. ITs been interesting a few times, but worked out.

Rost, no need to get defensive and for Smokepole and others the reference was a joke. The Just One works no doubt but Im not in my 20's anymore so need to use quality and rely on brute strength less.

Packs are like boots and opinions are like, well you know. Kifaru makes good stuff as Mystery Ranch, etc. It is a big investment but quality costs.

Good hunting and if what you have works, then great. The OP asked opinions and that is what was given.

Last edited by hunting1; 11/05/15.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rost, no need to get defensive and for Smokapole and others the reference was a joke. The Just One works no doubt but Im not in my 20's anymore so need to use quality and rely on brute strength less.

"Smokapole," eh? Careful there bud, I may be almost 60, but I still rely on brute strength.....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Was a typo, fixed, apologies and i'm down the road if you really want to internet threat me.....

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where are these people carrying drunk hookers that require a pack?

John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly. I always want 'em to wrap their legs around me.

Hunting, no worries bro, it was tongue in cheek.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Rost, no need to get defensive and for Smokepole and others the reference was a joke. The Just One works no doubt but Im not in my 20's anymore so need to use quality and rely on brute strength less.

Packs are like boots and opinions are like, well you know. Kifaru makes good stuff as Mystery Ranch, etc. It is a big investment but quality costs.

Good hunting and if what you have works, then great. The OP asked opinions and that is what was given.

Sorry if it was defensive, was simply saying, I've tried 2 packs....one cheaper and one more expensive. the cheaper one carried the weight a LOT better than the expensive one to me.... just me... just one. LOL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry if it was defensive, was simply saying, I've tried 2 packs....one cheaper and one more expensive. the cheaper one carried the weight a LOT better than the expensive one to me.... just me... just one. LOL.

You probably don't have it adjusted right.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry
Never owned a Kifaru. If a guy bought a Spike Camp would he also have to buy the "Hunting Platform Frame and Suspension"? Explain the purpose or how I carry my meat?

Hey! Can someone help out with my question ?! grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Depends on if you want to place the meat inside the bag or not. For my tastes, I like a bigger pack than the spike camp for hauling meat, but I throw the elk inside the bag most of the time.

2400 cubic inches can fill up fast but YMMV.

Last edited by Jcubed; 11/06/15.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Mountain rambler with the load shelf between the frame and bag seems like a good way to go!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yes, Aron Snyder, call him at Kifaru and he'll answer any question you have. Very helpful and knows packs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Mountain rambler with the load shelf between the frame and bag seems like a good way to go!

Lots of ways to do it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

1. No.
2. Not touching that one.
3. Yes.

Circles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Circles

1. No.
2. Not touching that one.
3. Yes.

LMAO grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd get the Kifaru Duplex frame. From there, you can get several bags for that same frame. I'm really digging the mountain warrior bag on the duplex frame right now. It's got plenty of room, and I'd do 7 days no problem. I just had it in the bathtub cleaning the blood out of it. I've packed out 8 bucks in the last 2 weeks with it. I'm slowly becoming a pocket slut, for keeping things organized. Not a fan of dumpster diving anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have the T2 on the bikini, and I love it, but I don't consider it a pack I would wear all day while hunting, too big.

If you want a hauler, get a hauler, if you want a daypack, get one.

I may end up with the spike as a daypack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I have the T2 on the bikini, and I love it, but I don't consider it a pack I would wear all day while hunting, too big.

If you want a hauler, get a hauler, if you want a daypack, get one.

I may end up with the spike as a daypack.
Ii disagree. I use my Longhunter as a hauler and a daypack. Saves a trip back to camp/truck when it's time to pack one out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run an AMR on a Duplex set up to be almost 10k cubic inches as a daypack and it works just as well if not better than anything else designed as a "day pack"...

Tanner

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a spike camp, and it gets used as a carry on for traveling. I don't hunt with it. It's not big enough for my day gear + a quartered out animal, and even if it was, I wouldn't put myself through that torture.

This time of the year, I day hunt almost daily, as the days aren't long enough to make camping worth it. The same pack I use for 7 days, is my daypack. It does not hinder me one bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'd get the Kifaru Duplex frame. From there, you can get several bags for that same frame. I'm really digging the mountain warrior bag on the duplex frame right now. It's got plenty of room, and I'd do 7 days no problem. I just had it in the bathtub cleaning the blood out of it. I've packed out 8 bucks in the last 2 weeks with it. I'm slowly becoming a pocket slut, for keeping things organized. Not a fan of dumpster diving anymore.

Haha me too. A few years ago I was a fan of as light as possible. Not function is a bit more important than shaving off that last 2-5 pounds off the pack weight before I head out for a week long backpack based hunt.

I have the Mountain Warrior and like it a lot as well. Being able to organize a bit between the big pocket on the back, then the guide lid on top, and also quick access via the panel loader option to stuff on the inside really help organize things the way I want them.

Though for my true heavy hauling and such I do like how quick my EMR 2 is to toss the quarters of deer in a single game bag and strap it to the outside of the pack with 3 buckles and the lid and be off and not have to be stuffing the game bags in and out of my pack when day hunting for deer.

I don't see getting rid of either pack bag anytime soon. The AMR looks like a great option as I like its volume, but IMO it isn't as versatile as the EMR 2 for strapping awkward loads and still have to stuff game inside the pack bag, not that big a deal really though as I did it for years and it works for certain. The biggest thing I like about both the mountain warrior and the EMR 2 is the access to the main bags without diving through the top, that zippered access has me spoiled to not want to use anything that doesn't have that type of access.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
To the OP,

There is some real experience with backpack hunting and Kifaru gear in this thread.

I think lanche raises a good point, do you want load carrying capacity that is "comfortable" or would you like a lighter pack that supports weight, just not as well?

Things to consider as there are different pack companies that fit different niche markets, so to speak.

Regards

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I had decided that the mountain Rambler was the pack for me. Almost ordered and then got to thinking how well a cargo panel, dry bag, and a couple pouches might work.

I'm going to kick around a few ideas for each and order one or the other this weekend.

Thanks to all that replied here.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The have the Mountain Warrior for $183 right now. Screaming deal..

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Just ordered a Mountain Rambler and a Duplex frame going to see what all the hype is about, been looking at them for awhile and with the sale decided to go for it!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It takes a good deal of boot time with a load on your back to really see what the hype is about.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It takes a good deal of boot time with a load on your back to really see what the hype is about.

10-4

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
What's the difference between the frame they have on sale and the newer ones?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
What's the difference between the frame they have on sale and the newer ones?

I believe the ones on sale are an older design!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

I look forward to it.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Older frames on sale have thinner shoulder straps and a different lumbar pad- absolutely no flies on them though. That's the one I'm using currently.

Tanner

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just ordered a Mountain Rambler and a Duplex frame going to see what all the hype is about, been looking at them for awhile and with the sale decided to go for it!

Pretty sure I'll order the same.

They just have a lot of different options that makes sense. Every time I think I see the one I need I'll look at another and think it's the one.

Which frame did you go with?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Most of my hunting is day trips with an occasional 2-3 day stay so I wanted to stay on the small side for the pack but a meat shelf was a must have because all my game comes out on my back, the mountain Rambler seems to fit the bill, my only other choice would have been a cargo panel with some extra pockets, but I think the MR will work well, good luck with your decision!

I went with one of their new Duplex frames!

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rambler and new UL duplex on it's way.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The wait begins......

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The wait begins......

Just received my tracking number, should be here Monday.

You got yours yet?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Mine will arrive wed....

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got mine yesterday...thinking it'll be a keeper.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Got mine yesterday...thinking it'll be a keeper.

Agreed very well made!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.